Sequel: Everlasting

Evermore

xv.

Dozens of eyes suddenly settled on her, bodies turning in the pews to see the beautiful bride as she made her way forward. Mary gazed at all the familiar faces; their smiles causing the nasty knot in her belly to curl tighter.

Her sight trailed farther up the aisle to where her groom stood, looking dapper in his wedding suit but Mary could pay no mind to his looks as her heart beat a quick cadence in her chest. As she slowly began her unaccompanied walk down the aisle, she felt the walls closing in on her; the June air muggy as she tried to suck a deep breath in but failed.

Her mind began to feel cloudy, her vision brightening in the center and dimming around the edges as her breath came in quick pants but she continued on until she stood toe to toe with her groom.

Harold reached down and grasped Mary's shaking hands in his own. She looked down at his hands, soft hands that were so much larger than her own and contemplation if she would ever feel this hands in hers again once their vows were spoken.

The deep bellows of the organ rang to a stop and Mary looked up to Harold as the pastor said, "We are gathered here this day in the sight of God and the company assembled to witness the giving and receiving of the marriage vows. Marriage is an institution ordained of God and is not to be entered into lightly or in jest and only after much consideration."

There was a long pause that allowed Mary to hear every shuffle and stifled cough as the priest looked to Harold, "Will you have this woman to be your wife, to live together in holy marriage? Will you love her, comfort her, honor, and keep her in sickness and in health, and forsaking all others, be faithful to her as long as you both shall live?"

"In the name of God, I, Harold Charles Arnold, take you, Mary Lynn Suters, to be my wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, until we are parted by death. This is my solemn vow."

He released her left hand and procured a ring from his coat pocket and slipped it onto Mary's fourth finger. Her heart began to beat harder, faster as she stared into Harold's face, a face she would have to stare upon for the rest of her young life. His vows still echoed in her mind because they were so untrue; they would never love one another, never cherish one another.

The marriage was a sham, a business arrangement. Not a union based on love, or honor like their families would have the world believe. The vows were lies, said before God in His house and the knowledge she would have to recite those words in return to her fiancé let a bitter taste in her mouth.

The priest then looked to Mary, "Will you have this man to be your husband, to live together in holy marriage? Will you love him, comfort him, honor, and keep him in sickness and in health, and forsaking all others, be faithful to him as long as you both shall live."

Mary opened her mouth, trying to force the words out but nothing came. "I... In the..." she stammered, the words clear in her mind but her mouth unable to piece together the words.

"Mary, are you unwell?" Harold asked, his right left hand gripping her right tightly, distress flashing in his expressive eyes.

"No... Yes," Mary announced taking are step back from her groom, pulling her hands from his quickly, as if he had burned her. "I... I cannot do this. I will not do this!" Pulling the gold band off her hand she tossed the ring back at Harold, relief overwhelmed her once the weight of the gold band vanished.

The golden circle bounced off Harold's breast and clattered to the floor, the sound so loud it may as well have been a cannon inside the quiet church. Then as quickly as she was able Mary turned on her heel and fled from her almost husband.

Mary felt every shocked stare on her, heard every horrified gasp and muffled whisper as her father yelled after her but she ignored it as she ran out of the church and into the city.