Sequel: Everlasting

Evermore

xx.

August 31st 1782 ;

Mary stood facing Jonathan their hands clasped together as her groom completed his vows. His wedding attire was the finest she had ever seen and Mary would have sworn she almost swooned at the sight of him.

He looked just as she expected a dashing Earl would look on his wedding day. Right down to the atrocious powdered wig he wore atop his head. As she stared at her soon to be husband she silently reminded herself to forbid him to wear the thing around her again, much preferring his god given hair.

The vicar looked to Mary and asked, "Will you have this man to be your husband, to live together in holy marriage? Will you love him, comfort him, honor, and keep him in sickness and in health, and forsaking all others, be faithful to him as long as you both shall live?"

Mary felt the tension rise in the chapel, glancing to her family on the first pew who no doubt expected her to flee as she had the first time but Mary did not have that intention. Clearing her through, she recited quietly, "In the name of God, I, Mary Lynn Suters, take you, Jonathan Edward Waverly, to be my husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, until we are parted by death. This is my solemn vow."

Mary clasped the gold band in her shaking hands, carefully sliding the band into place on his left hand before looking at him, a large smile spread across her face.

“I now pronounce you man and wife. You may now kiss your bride, Lord Scarbourgh,” the vicar said.

Mary let Jonathan’s large hands to fall from her own as he lifted the veil from her face, flipping it over her head to cascade down her back. He looked deeply into her eyes before he encased her in his arms—much as he had done the day of their very first kiss and pressed his lips to her own as the small crowd that had assembled began to applaud.

When the two broke apart Mary was breathless and flustered, her heart racing in excitement. The newly wedded couple turned towards the small crowd of their loved ones and closest friends as the vicar announced, “I have the honor to present to you all the Lord and Lady of Scarbourgh.”

The couple raised their clasped hands in greeting to the crowd and Mary could not help but send a silent prayer to God in thanks for guiding her to her new husband, promising Him to love Jonathan evermore.