Sequel: Everlasting

Evermore

iv.

October 5th, 1781 ;

Dear Lord Scarbourgh,
I am writing you apologize for the behavior of my companion maid Sarah two days passed. I am deeply embarrassed by the way she spoke with you and has since been reprimanded.
It is with the utmost sincerity that I write to thank you for your benevolence and understanding of the situation and that you opened your heart to forgiveness.
It humbles me to see such good character in one such as yourself and that of your staff. I am most happy that your carriage driver was able to rein in the horses in time to save my life. For that I am also thankful.

Yours Sincerely,
Miss Mary Lynn Suters


Sealing the letter, she handed it to Sarah who looked displeased at Mary. “Why must you write that obnoxious beast a letter?”

“Because,” Mary began tersely, “It is the right thing to do.” And because her mother had been appalled at hearing of Sarah’s behavior in public, insisting they had to release the girl from service to spare their reputation. It had taken an hour of pleading and negotiating with her mother to allow Sarah to keep her employment. A weeks of wages would be withheld and a formal address to their lord had to be made. “I do not want to lecture you as wholly as Mother did but you hardly acted ladylike.”

“I do not believe I should have to act like a lady when my employer and friend was almost run down and maimed by a madman in a cart. I had a right to be upset.”

Mary nodded in understanding, “I understand.” She then stood from her writing dress and looked about the room which was alight with sunshine as the summer air wafted in from the open window. “Now make sure that gets into the post for today, Mother will not be happy if it is not.”
Image

October 12th, 1781;

Mary was working on her cross stitch when Sarah entered the parlor, a small piece of parchment in her hand. “You have a letter, Mary.”

Curiously, she looked up from her pattern and to her maid as the letter was placed into her hand. On the front where was a masculine scrawl of her name and on the back a wax seal with the crest of the earl. Shocked that he had written back, she ran her finger under the seal. Her eyes eating up the words.

Miss Mary Lynn Suters

Thank you for writing me but your apology and words of thanks were not necessary. Your maid did nothing wrong. With her actions she defended your honor and she was indeed right; my man should not have allowed the horses to be spooked so and lost control of the carriage.
I am pleased to know you think so highly of my character with such a short meeting and under such disapproving circumstances.

God Speed,
The Lord Scarbrough


“Well, it seems that you were never in a bad light with the Lord,” Mary informed her maid who stood anxiously by her side.

“Really,” Sarah asked hopefully, perking up. “Maybe your mother will return my wages since the Lord is not angry at me?”

Smiling at her maid, Mary nodded, “I will ask her. Surely, if you were never in trouble she cannot punish you so fiercely.”