Sequel: Everlasting

Evermore

vii.

December 14th, 1781 ;

Church was always a quiet ordeal and Mary loved her time in the house of the Lord. She enjoyed singing the hymns and the loud rumblings of the organ, the drone of the father as he read from the Holy Bible.

Sunday’s mornings Mary always spent at church and the evenings were reserved for quiet time in celebrations of the Sabbath. It was one of the few days that she wasn’t obligated to spent with Harold – who did not attend their church-- or with people whom she felt forced to like.

Her hands folded, Mary bowed her head and silently prayed as her mother and father did the same, “Lord, please guide me towards the path that you have created for me. Steer me in the right direction for I fear I may be wandering off course. I am unsure if my marriage to Harold is what you have meant for me. I beg you to please show me a sign that this is what you truly have meant for me, because if so I will forever be content with your choice. For you would never steer me wrong or down and unrighteous path. In your name I pray, Amen.”

Opening her eyes, she watched as her parents rose to their feet and head towards one of her father’s acquaintances. Mary was about to follow suit when she felt someone sit beside her on the pew. Whirling around quickly she sat face to face with Lord Scarbourgh, “I am sorry if I frightened you.”

Mary quickly straightened her back and bowed her head at him, “No problem at all, My Lord. What is it that I can help you with?”

“Why do you assume that there is something that I want?” He asked quietly, “Maybe I am here to reveal in the Lord's good graces.”

Mary frowned deeply, “I am in church every Sunday and never have I seen you here. I could hardly testify that you even are a member of our congregation.”

“It has been a while since I attended but I assure you I am a member of this church,” Lord Scarbourgh told her in a sure tone, “You are right, though, I did seek you out on purpose. I wished to apologize to you for our discussion at your engagement party. I was unintentionally rude and I was strictly out of line in regards to my conversation with you.”

“As is your right,” Mary told him, her tone stern and to the point, “No apology is necessary, My Lord.”

“No, I insist. I was a rakefire and I am deeply sorry.” Reaching inside his overcoat, Lord Scarbourgh pulled out a piece of parchment, folded and closed with his signet wax seal and held it outstretched towards her. “As a token of my apology I would be honored if you, your family, and your betrothed would grace me with your presence at my Christmas gathering.”

Mary took the invitation with shaking hands, disbelief overcoming her. “Surely, you are joking, My Lord.”

Lord Scarbourgh looked at her deeply, the expression on his face unreadable as she looked from the piece of parchment in her hands to him in question. It was the most elite event she had ever been invited too; never once had she thought she could possibly attend.

“Oh, My Lord, thank you but I am going to have to decline,” Mary began softly, trying to turn down his invitation as politely as she was able. Her mind scrambling, her soul yelling out for her to take back her asinine words.

“Mary, what in the Lords name…” her mother suddenly said as she approached the pew that Mary still reclined in, her words quickly tapering off at the sight of the Earl. “Oh my… My Lord, please excuse Mary she did not mean to take up any of your precious time.” Then with a look sharp enough to butcher a cow, she turned her gaze to her daughter, “Apologize, Mary. It was very rude of you to disturb our Earl during his Sabbath.”

“It is not necessary Mrs. Suters as I was the one to bother your daughter. I wished to invite your family to my Christmas ball but it seems your daughter had declined.”

“No!” Mary’s mother protested suddenly, gathering a few curious glances from the few who were left inside the church. “My daughter does not know what she speaks of, we will gladly attend. It is such an honor, My Lord. We are entirely grateful for your invitation.”

“Mother,” Mary gritted, “Be reasonable. We could not possibly attend on such short notice.”

Mary’s mother brushed off her comment with a careless wave of her hand, “Hush, Mary. Come now we must be going and I am sure Lord Scarbourgh does not want to hear us squabbling, being an Earl is busy business and he must have much to attend to.” Groping for Mary’s hand, her mother gripped it tightly before pulling her daughter up into the shelter of her arms as if she were a small child. “Now thank our Earl, Mary, for his generous invitation.”

Mary sighed deeply, “Thank you, My Lord.”

Lord Scarbourgh smiled handsomely before bowing his head in acknowledgement, “Good day to you ladies. I shall be seeing you both very soon.”