Just in Time

cass's world

Cass was an ordinary boy born into an extraordinary world. His parents hadn’t been very good planners and so, he never knew the strict life until they passed away from unknown circumstances while away on a trip. After that, he was left completely alone with really no hope of living much longer without someone to provide for him. After a few months of moving about the makeshift to keep alive as best he could, he was invited to live in the home of a couple that had recently lost their only child. The reason they had picked him? Well, it was simply because he had the same green eyes their son had.

But the poor boy wasn’t ready for his entire life to do a complete one-eighty. Everything he had once known quickly disappeared as he was forced into a completely new lifestyle. Formal events, formal clothing at all times, and day-by-day schedules. He had very little free time and when that did come around, he wasn’t allowed to leave the grounds that his new guardians owned. It seemed like the perfect life for an orphaned kid that was found without a permanent home, but the longer he resided in this place, the more and more he missed the freedom he use to have.

As he grew older, the less restrictions he came into contact within the household. He was allowed to roam about more rooms and go up more flights of stairs until just about every area within the home was completely open to him. But the places he would come to love more and more were the library and his own room, which had been renovated a few times after talking with his guardians about it. He was fascinated by the places he heard about in the books and just how they aided in his wild imagination. Beaches with sand as white as snow, water as blue as the sky, water that moved through the land that were known as rivers, and countries all over this world. It was absolutely amazing to hear about the places that once existed and to imagine what still might be out there.

It wasn’t long after the boy turned nineteen that he met the boy whom he would always refer to as his best friend. His first impression hadn’t really done a very good job of interesting Cass, but after a smooth hello and a smile to go along with it, the boy was hooked. With every new letter that arrived, his happiness grew and grew. The marriage contract no longer bothered him, even though for a while he was completely against marrying a girl that was three years younger than him. His restricted freedom nor longer brought him down and he was no longer afraid to let his imagination run free around the attendants. He had managed to gather up a few butlers and numerous maids that were rallying for Cass and his future with his other half, Liam.

Sadly, Cass’s life had seemingly run out of luck. As the months continued on, the boy spent less and less time around the house due to the growing sickness. There were some days he spent all day in his room or even at times, all day in his bed. On the days the boy had enough strength, he called for a few attendants, that he felt closest with, to help him to the library. There, he was get as comfortable as he possibly could in the antique looking couch and spend the rest of the daylight hours reading books and the letters he and Liam wrote to each other and staring out the window while his mind wandered. On the days he couldn’t make it out of his room, he choose to draft out one last letter to Liam over and over again, until he felt it had everything he needed to tell the boy.

There were, of course, times where the green-eyed boy had a hard time coming to terms with his impending death. All through his life, he had days or even a whole week where he would do his best to come to terms with the short time he had left to live. It wasn’t that he was afraid to die, it was that he was more afraid of what would come after he died. There was no true certainty about what occurred after death or if anything actually did happen once someone let go of this lifetime. It was a scary thing for him to think about and as his time grew shorter and shorter, he grew more and more fearful of what answer he would get. So, he chose to focus entirely on the last letter to his other half, something he wanted no one else but Liam to read after he was gone. It would convey all his feelings using words he couldn’t speak to the boy that turned his life entirely around.

And so, he wrote until he couldn’t anymore. It was time consuming, but he knew it would be worth it when Liam got ahold of it. The only thing he would regret would be not being able to see the expressions that came about from the letter. He finished it in time to seal it within an envelope before he lost consciousness and slipped in a peaceful sleep, the enclosed letter still by his side. What he didn’t know was that Liam would be reading that letter within minutes of his arrival and minutes after Cass had slipped into unconsciousness.

Image