Of Fate and Choice

the vampire prince

Being summoned had never been something that Alaric particularly enjoyed. A public summons was tolerable at best but a private one never yielded good news and was always insufferable. His voluntary seclusion had been interrupted by a servant sent by his mother and he was none too pleased at having to obey. He could imagine the topic of the conversation she wanted to have with him and he certainly did not want to speak about it with her.

He was let into her solar where he found her waiting. It was noted that his father was absent and he was thankful that he would not have to suffer the talk in his presence. "You sent for me, Mother," he said, sliding into the seat that she had gestured to.

His mother was a proud woman and if there was one thing that he was sure about, it was that she would never tolerate disrespect - from her staff household or from her husband and children. It was a trait that was beneficial to her status as queen and was one that he had seen many a time. Never would he actively get on her bad side, not even at the age he was.

"What is this I hear that you and your wife do not share the same chamber?" she said, her tone conveying her true feelings about the matter.

Alaric had known his marriage would be what his mother had wanted to speak to him about. In the run up to his bride's arrival, it had been the topic that was always on people's tongues. His brother would taunt him over having to wed a human bride while his sister would lament about the fact that he had the 'desired' species for his wife. She had dealt the worst species, in their family's opinion, as she would be required to wed a werewolf prince.

"She still has some humanly issues to deal with," he excused.

His mother eyed him suspiciously. "Your union was over three weeks ago. It is expected that you should have settled into your marriage by now. At least tell me you are visiting her chambers nightly."

Unable to look at her, he averted his eyes and let the silence speak for him. It wasn't that he was against fulfilling his marital duties - in fact, he had accepted his fate long ago and had been prepared for a political marriage with mutual acceptance. However, that had not been the case when his bride had arrived in the kingdom. From the very start she had been troublesome, unwilling to be in his company and being barely tolerable when she was forced to be near him. He had assumed it was to do with her having to leave her kingdom in favour for his and expected her to calm down after their union had occurred, but to his annoyance, it grew worse.

Her refusal to accept her role had been something he had attempted to contain in order to prevent it from reaching his parents, but it seemed that idle chatter amongst the servants had rendered his efforts useless.

"Have you at least presented her with the proposition of being turned?" his mother finally said, after having taken two deep breaths over his silence.

He nodded. "She declined. However, I firmly believe it will be beneficial for her acceptance of her fate and resolve her humanly issues instantly."

His mother pursed her lips as she stared at him. "What you believe does not matter. Forsaking her humanity is a choice, not a requirement of this union. You cannot force it upon her and I had best not hear that you have attempted, in any way, to change her mind."

"But it is fine for her to forsake this union as it does not agree with her goddess?" he asked incredulously.

The response was immediate and Alaric bit in his groan as his mother tightened her grip on his ear. "You may be my son and the future king, but make no mistake, I will punish you if I am disobeyed. This union is not for your benefit or for her inconvenience - it's for peace and stability. She may be your wife but she is under your father's and my protection, as your sister shall be under the Were King's protection when it is time for her to leave us. Am I understood?" she hissed, her tone remaining steadily calm.

"Of course," he replied, grateful that she had released his ear.

A knock interrupted their conversation and Alaric looked away from his mother, clenching his jaw. The human was being more troublesome than she was worth. His mother's threat was clear to him but he had already resolved to take action. He'd had enough of his wife's human ways and was prepared to force her hand, but now he was going to have to be subtle and ensure his mother didn't find out. If he started with restricting her humanly ways, his mother would never find out, and then he could start pushing her towards being turned.

The servant that had knocked looked as if he wanted to be anywhere but where he was. "Your Majesty, Your Highness, the Prince Luca of Wiralia has arrived," he announced, keeping his eyes locked at his feet.

His mother looked back to him. "Would you like to tell your sister or should I send the servant?"

"I will," he said. He bid his mother goodbye and left her solar, stalking down the hall in irritation. He didn't stop until he reached his sister's chambers and rapped on the door impatiently, his temper shortening as it took a moment before one of her chosen ladies opened the door.

He stepped into the room and barely shot the lady a look before he dismissed her with a curt, "Get out." His sister was sat at her bureau and looked at him with a raised eyebrow as he paced the room.

"To what do I owe this visit, brother?" she asked, watching as he stopped and faced her.

"Your escort has arrived."

Alaric watched as her expression dropped and she closed her eyes. He waited as she took in a deep breath before opening her eyes. "I had forgot how close it was to my departure date. All these preparations and yet I forgot." She stopped speaking when she stood and walked over to the window. "But I don't suppose that is why you arrived at my chambers in this manner. Has something happened?"

"No."

She acted as if he hadn't spoken and turned to look at him. "It's your wife, isn't it? Did you know I invited her to dine with me two days ago? She declined, of course, but didn't even send one of her ladies to tell me! Such a peculiar creature," she said, shaking her head. "I did not think humans were so odd."

"They're not. Fickle but not odd. She is just very obstinate and difficult."

His sister gave him a knowing smile. "That is an apt description of yourself, brother, but I do recall we were speaking of your wife."

Alaric gave her a smirk. "I was going to miss you but now I don't think I will."

She laughed and came over to where he was stood. "And I would pity you but alas, I do not," she proclaimed, sweeping past him towards her vanity table. She picked up a necklace from her jewellery box and held it out for him. He rolled his eyes but obliged, taking the pendant from her and unclasping it. He wanted to tell her that it was silly to dress up to meet her escort but knew that their mother had probably instructed her to. She would be their kingdom's representation from here on out, and although her escort would spend a few days as their guest while she made her final preparations and goodbyes, she would remain in their kingdom for the rest of her life. She could mend - or indeed tarnish - the werewolves' view of the vampires, not that he was too bothered over what those mutts thought.

"I suppose my leaving means the other unions were successful," she said, breaking the silence that had settled between the two. "Isn't it strange that forcing together two species can create peace?" She gave a laugh and stepped back towards her bureau. "Nevertheless, you still have not told what it is about your wife that bothered you enough before you came to me. Did she say something that you did not like?"

Alaric gritted his teeth at her mocking words and stepped over to the window, watching as the rain hit the glass. "It was Mother, actually. She summoned me and refuted my decision to force being changed onto my wife," he said, suddenly aware of how much time they had spent talking.

"I agree," she confessed, making him turn and look at her. "There is no point in changing her until she has given up all her humanly ways, and only a fool would believe that she was ready to give them up."

Annoyed, he crossed the room and rested his hand on the door handle. "No one asked your opinion," he said curtly, "and I think it is time we left to welcome your escort."

His sister rolled her eyes and approached him, looking at him before shaking her head. "Just remember, if it wasn't for this union, I would be heir," she said before disappearing down the hall.

There wasn't much time for him to be irritated by her words as they quickly approached their father's private audience chamber. It had no other purpose than to receive high ranking members of the other species, so the size of the room was rather smaller than the main audience chamber. The doors were opened and they entered into the room, noting that his family had already answered their summons. His brother was stood on his father's left while his sister went to stand next to their mother. A few metres away from her stood his wife. He had to grit his teeth when he saw that she was wearing that awful netted veil that he had expressed his distaste for whenever he saw it. It covered just her eyes and was ridiculous to him. If she wanted to worship her goddess, she could. He didn't care about that, it was the veil and the ridiculous shrine she kept in her bedchamber that he did care about. She wouldn't listen to him any time he brought it up and that infuriated him.

As was expected of him, he went and stood next to her, drawing an arm around her waist only to feel her tense up. He could only tighten his grip in annoyance before the doors opened again and in walked the species he despised. It was easy to spot the prince amongst the group and Alaric had to refrain from baring his fangs at him. Fae, humans, Mer - none of those species bothered him like the Weres did, and he wished that they could annihilate them. His father would never entertain the idea of disrupting the peace, and although he could understand why, he didn't care.

"Prince Luca, on behalf of Thaelyhn, I welcome you," his father said, giving the prince a respected nod.

The Were mimicked his action. "My father has sent gifts for Your Majesties as a token of peace for this union," he said, gesturing for the Weres behind him to step forward and hand over two small chests to the servants.

At his words, Alaric watched his mother draw her arm around his sister and present her to the prince. "This is our daughter Leora, your brother's betrothed," his mother said.

The prince nodded towards her. "It is a pleasure to be your escort, Your Highness."

Alaric tightened his grip around his wife at his words. He tried to muster pity for his sister at having to endure the journey with the Were but he just couldn't. He felt one of his wife's hands grasp his fingers, trying to loosen his grip, so he tightened them more.

His father clapped his hands and looked around the room. "It is time for the feast! Prince Luca, if you would walk with me," he said, and he left the room with the prince. His mother turned to his sister and gave her a look before they followed.

Once they had left, he let go of his wife and flexed both his hands as he watched her move away from him. "Need you always wear that dreadful veil?" he snapped, drawing her attention to him.

"You don't understand," she dismissed, looking away from him.

"I don't care. It's time you began adapting to our way of life," he said. She remained silent, keeping her gaze away from him. "I will be visiting you tonight." With that, he strode out of the room and headed towards the feast.
♠ ♠ ♠
I - the second of three characters povs
II - sometimes I love this story too much