Status: still in working progress

Breaking the 4th

Unwanted Company

Left… left… Left…
Let… me see. Need to… See…
It hurts. Hurts. Hurt.


Random words floated around in a jumbled mess inside of Shatter’s skull, none of them very coherent. It felt as if her head was housing a full crowd and they were all talking at once. This wasn’t very surprising, as she had just gotten her ass handed back to her on a silver platter. Her brain probably resembled a tossed salad from a fast food chain.

Cold… so cold...cold…
Need to go…pain, pain...
Safe… safety…Go Away...


Shatter stumbled, her jumbled word-salad brain disorienting her. Her sloppy limping pace came to a staggering halt and she felt her knees giving out. She felt like she was suffocating.
“Stop!” she gasped out, the word just falling out of her mouth.

Her left ankle rolled as she attempted to turn around, and she slipped, nearly crashing into the wall.
A hand grabbed her by the upper right arm with a firm grip and pulled her around, catching her from dropping to the floor.
Careful,” Hyun grunted, suddenly stepping around into Shatter’s view. “What is it? Is something wrong?

But Shatter didn’t reply; she could barely hear her companion over the loud ringing in her ears and the words that seemed to just force itself into her mind. Her head felt like it was ready to explode.

Cold… so cold… cold…
Church… broken… church…
Pain, pain, pain…


The choppy staggered words resonated clearly in her head despite her foggy mental status. It only added to the pressure. Sharp pain started at her temples, twisting and tightening around her head like a screw. She cradled her head in her hands, pressing her palms into her ears.
“Ahh…”
Shatter let out an involuntary strangled gasp, this new pain stunning her. Her eyesight was going blurry, and she started to feel nauseous.

Shatter?

Shatter’s eyes flickered up to the face that was in front of her. It took a moment for her vision to refocus, and she saw Hyun staring at her at eye level, looking concerned. It took her another few seconds to realize she was on the floor.
How did she get there? Better yet...where was she?
She swallowed, closed her eyes and took a deep breath. But she was having a difficulty clearing her head, and it was damn near suffocating. This haze that seemed to wrap around her head felt very uncharacteristic of herself, this feeling of discombobulation foreign.
A concussion… this may be a concussion…

Hyun continued to stare, watching her cautiously. Shatter gave him a wary look before pulling herself to lean against the wall.
“I’m alive, for now.” she told him, as if to reassure him. “Alive and wicked beaten up.”

Alive...Alive for now…
Wicked… wicked...wicked…


She exhaled loudly, pushing the pulsing headache out of her thoughts.
“I just needed a quick breather,” she said.

Shatter shifted the slightest bit on the floor, trying to get a bit comfortable when sharp pain tore through her left side and resonated through her entire body. Just the pain knocked the air out of her and she grunted, coughing out a choke of pain.
“Shit,” she hissed under her breath.

Her eyes fell down to the source of the agony, and saw a dark stain slowly growing bigger through the torn fabric of her shirt.
“Oooh…” she breathed out, her voice hollow. “That sucks,”

The last thing she could recall was Hyun yelling in Korean before her vision when black.

Image


Damp cool air and the smell of moss and dirt pulled her consciousness from the black. Slowly her senses were coming back into focus bring awareness of her surroundings.
Shatter breathed out slowly and opened her eyes.

It was the same setting as before; she found herself standing in the middle of the broken church, just below the neglected stained glass. The only thing that was different, in a very peculiar manner was the fact that everything was at a complete standstill.
It was almost undetectable. But Shatter could see in the stream of muddied light that shone through from the stained glass that the specks of dust that were floating in the air were completely still. It was as if time had completely stopped. The eerie stillness made the space feel that much more empty, making her feel more alone…
Realization struck her then, and Shatter wheeled around, her eyes searching.

Hyun!


Her mouth opened to call out, but then froze. She heard that; she heard her voice call out his name. The only problem was that she hadn’t spoken yet.
Shatter swallowed the heavy knot in her throat and licked her lips. She tried again.

Hyun, are you here--- oh what the hell is this?


Her thoughts resonated in the space with a clear voice, without her having to open her mouth.
Was this a new change in rules, or something? Was this a dream, within a dream, like that movie with vertical streets, spinning tops and continuity errors? If that was the case, this new complication was an unwelcome one; she was getting enough continuity errors of her own just fine with the past few hours in this place.

Shit… Where’s Hyun?


Shatter turned once again, scanning the area for the Korean. From the corner of her eye she saw something in the shadows, just beyond the stone columns and on the ground. A pair of familiar looking boots, at the ends of dark denim-clad legs poked out from behind the column.
Uneasiness twisted in her gut as Shatter approached the column. She reached forward, her palm meeting the cold stone of the pillar. Inhale, slow exhale and then she peered down.

There on the cold ground, out cold and lying frozen still with the time was Shatter. And applying pressure to the vicious gash in her side, also frozen was Hyun. The look of sheer panic and fear was captured in still motion on his face and it looked as if he was in mid-yell.

She couldn’t blame him; the Shatter that was on the ground looked like a hot mess. There was a wince-inducing bruise on the left side of her jaw that colored her cold-tone skin with an angry looking red. Her lips were slightly parted, and her eyes open but unseeing--- Shatter looked like roadkill to put it nicely. At some point of her being a human punching bag for that cloaked monster a blood vessel had burst in her right eye, only adding to the deathly effect. Her simple blue v-neck shirt was shredded beyond hope, her blood soaked across her stomach through Hyun’s fingers. She hoped none of it was getting on her favorite leather hooded jacket she was donning.
Shatter almost didn’t recognize herself… granted, she has seen better days but that was beside the point.

The Shatter on the ground was indisputably her; same face, same dark as pitch and pin straight hair. And the same worn out outfit that she was wearing, down to the last wrinkle and tear in the fabrics.
Maybe this was an out-of-body experience. Maybe she was really dead this time.

A deep, loud roar filled her ears without warning and it felt as if the air was sucked right out of her lungs all over again. Immediately she looked to her right.

Click.


Shatter saw the torn hood of its dark cloak first, the bony silhouette that emerged from the shadows. Its body materializing from the dark grey stone wall like hissing smoke, wrapping around its whole frame.
Something was different in the way it moved. The creature had lost its mechanical, rigid way of moving, and the inhuman speed it had showed earlier was gone. It now moved in a manner that was almost... human.
Shatter saw it step around a column and stop, turning its head up towards the sky. It sniffed at the air searching for a trail of the scent it had picked up. She watched as it twisted its head at an impossible angle towards where Hyun and her dead self was, just beyond the pile of rubble.
Cornered, completely vulnerable and targeted.

Run!


Horror struck Shatter, and she stared helplessly at Hyun, who was still frozen in the same position she had found him. Completely oblivious of the oncoming threat.

The cloaked creature curled forward, the bony spine pushing through the dark threadbare fabric of the cloak. Shatter knew that position; concussion or not, she remembered that stance all too well.
It was going to attack.
The girl glanced back at her travel companion, and a single thought came to mind.

...Hide them.


Shatter thought she had just blinked once. Or perhaps she hadn’t. She wasn’t sure. But the one thing she was sure of was that Hyun, and Shatter’s body was now nowhere to be seen.
It had taken just one thought.
But they are safe. Shatter knew. For now.

A series of soft clicking sounded, reminding the girl of an old antique clock. She glanced back at the creature, who was now, huddled by the column. It scratched at the stone almost frantically, its behavior coming off confused and irritated.
Now what to do with you....

There was a theory Shatter wanted to test out, one that oddly made sense but no sense at all at the same time. She hesitated slightly, her mind calculating the pros and cons of the situation.
But really, what did she have to lose?
Shatter breathed out slowly, building her resolve. Then she stepped forward.

You just won’t leave me alone, will you?


There was an almost ethereal resonance to the way her thoughts echoed in the still air. Just the tone held the space with ultimate command.

Not sure how to get rid of you...so here.


A wooden treasure box, one seemingly made of dark oak suddenly materialized in the middle of the room, without warning or sound. The lid slowly opened and fell backward, revealing empty contents.

Stay out of sight, out of mind.


A deep sound of rushing wind filled the otherwise still air. Another blink, and the hooded creature was gone. And a satisfying sound of a metal click of a locking latch echoed through the silence.

Shatter paused, replaying the last series of events in her head several times. Then the disbelief and realization hit, almost simultaneously.

I can control this place….
That’s insane.


Shatter did a full turn around, slowly looking around the place.

Now what?


She needed to somehow get back to her body, and Hyun. And then she needed to figure out a way to get out of here. But how?

Door. Open… Open. Door.

A door. Yes, of course! If she could hide a couple of people and produce a random box with just a thought, she should be able to make a door. How hard can it be?
A plan was starting to form in her head, and she started to prioritize. First thing was to find Hyun, and figure out how to get back into her body. Find Hyun…

Open….Open door… Door

Something felt a bit unnatural, something Shatter couldn’t quite pin. It was subtle, like two gears that was suddenly pushed out of synch. And she couldn’t help that heavy pit that was starting to grow in her gut...
Pushing that thought and feeling down, she started to move across the church. She was going to find Hyun and her body.

Door… Now. Door…

Her chest felt heavy, and it felt as if she was being crushed. Invisible weight put resistance against her legs like thick mud, slowing her pace. Shatter stopped, and a fog-like film settled over her head. Vertigo and imbalance rooted her to the spot as more words filled her head.

Open...Door…

A heavy exhale was squeezed out of her, and inhaling proved to be much more difficult.

...I have to find Hyun…


Shatter thought, and she heard her voice resonate through the empty church. She knew it made sense to find Hyun and her body first. But she couldn’t get the idea of a door out of her head.

Door… Need. Door.

The pressure was heavy on her head, wrapping around her skull. It was as if the blood supply was being cut off to the brain. Shatter could feel her will slipping, almost like she was falling asleep.

What is happening?


All she could think about was that god-forsaken door. There was a sound of rattling wood hitting stone, making her turn back around.
The wooden chest, the one she had tucked the cloaked being was now shaking violently on the floor. The lock jangled against the latch, the only thing that was keeping the box closed. And yet all she had in her mind was an image of a door.

Open the door.

Shatter closed her eyes and took in a deep breath. When she opened, a simple black door stood before her, just a few feet separating them. The brass knob glistened in the stream of light from the stained glass, the aged medal giving off a tempting glow.

Open the door.

Her mind felt blank, airy and light. The door...when did it get there?
Shatter stepped forward, her hand already reaching for the knob.
What’s beyond the door?

I want to know…


Her fingers were just inches from the brass knob now. All she had to do was give it a little twist...

“Don’t you even think about it.”

Someone spoke, their voice clear and commanding. The foreign voice had suddenly cut through the fog, breaking through the silence. Shatter reared, as if she had been slapped in the face. Clarity shot through her, and she regained control.

What...the…


Shatter was just gathering her scattered thoughts when the stranger spoke again.
“Dammit woman. What shit-storm did you get yourself into?”

The speaker was female, young. And the way she talked was very familiar…

“Close your mouth, Shatter. Gaping is unladylike.” the voice chided. “Sweet nickname, by the way. I knew you had many nicknames but this is the first time I heard this one…”

Shatter hadn’t realized her mouth was hanging open. She closed her trap as instructed and frowned.
Unnerved and confused, Shatter glanced around. No one was with her. And yet she could hear this girl clear as day.
Uuhhhh… Hello?


“Hi,” the stranger replied flatly, sounding unimpressed. “Really, is that all you can think of saying? ‘Hello’? Sorry to say Adele beat you in making that cool.”

..Are you...my conscience?


To that revelation, Shatter was met with undignified snort.
Pssshh, god no.” this stranger scoffed. “I don’t need that extra job, thank you. Me, myself and I have trouble keeping shit in order as is, why should I have to look after your sorry ass like a hobo cricket, hmm?”

Chatty… this person. And rude.


“Well, excuse me for being chatty.” the stranger huffed, attitude in her tone. “How rude of me for just saving your life.
Shatter heard her muttering something about being an ungrateful ass-hat before going on.
“Oh hey, I know. Lemme sing for you instead; I know just the song.” the stranger chattered. She cleared her throat and lowered her tone a few octaves. “I want you to know this is a song dear to my heart, one I find super touching...”
The stranger paused, most likely for dramatic effect and drew in a deep breath.
I want my P in your V, want you to S on my D. Gotta J off on your T’s Then FYI I wanna F your A!

Shatter’s hands flew up and clamped over her ears protectively, not that it did any help to block this strange girl’s singing. It was like she was singing right into her ear.

Oh my god. For the love of all that is holy, please stop!


The mystery entity continued to wail the profane song with great enthusiasm, not missing a single beat. This wasn’t the sort of treatment Shatter could take for too long.

Who are you? Why are you doing this to me? I don't deserve this


The stranger didn't answer, if anything she only sang louder.
Shatter could tell this person was very much enjoying herself. Why can she picture her smiling like an idiot?

Girl, I can tell that you know what I mean
But just in case, I will provide the translation
Like how I want you to sign up for the PTA
That's the Pen---


Okay ENOUGH! Stop! Stop it, stop it right now!

Shatter stomped her foot down, trying to beat the regrettably catchy tune out of her head.

“Come on, Shatter! I was just getting to the good part!” the stranger whined. “You're ruining my groove!”

Another note, and so help me.


Shatter let her threatening tone hang in the air briefly before she spoke again.

Who are you? What are you doing here?


“Uhhhh… By here, you mean like here-here?” the girl questioned cryptically. “Because I'm not really here-here, but I'm not quite there-there either...”

What’s that even supposed to mean? Here? There?


Well…” the girl said, stretching the word out in a long breath. “I am there, like your ‘here’ and not my ‘here’ sorta-kinda but I’m not here really as in your ‘there’ and my here, but simultaneously I am here and also there.”

Shatter tried her hardest to understand that jumbled explanation. It just wasn’t working out. So she let her brain word-vomit, hopelessly trying to keep up.

So… you are here but you are also there. But at the same time you’re not here and you are not there. Which makes there-here and here-there...


“Exactly! Phew, thank god you got that, cuz I didn’t.” the stranger said.

What the hell? This is insane! Are you for real?


“Of course I am real.” the girl said, managing to sound offended. “...rude.”

Shatter elected to ignore the miffed tone. She started to pace across the empty and abandoned church, seething in frustration.

I really don’t need this crap. Like I’ve been stuck here for a few hours and already I feel like I am losing it. I have so many questions. What is this place? Where am I? What am I doing here? Who the hell are you? Who, What, When-Where-Why and HOW! And you’re not helping!


“Fine! Alright geez. Hakuna your tatas, no need to yell.” the girl yelled right back, to which Shatter rolled her eyes. “I’ll explain it all later. But now is really, really not the time.”

Shatter was about to argue but the girl cut in.
“For some reason, you hear them too, don’t you,” she noted.

Them?


Shatter listened, but only heard silence.

I don’t hear anything,


“Listen! Listen closely to those voices.” the girl directed, her tone firm. “The ones that you don’t hear out loud, the ones that just pushes to the front of your mind, that squeezes your head like one hellish hangover. I know you can hear them.”

The voices…


Shatter echoed the girl’s words and stopped pacing. Uncertain and bemused, she complied and listened closer. The only thing to fill the silence was her scattered thoughts that were slowly bubbling back to the surface.

In… In.
Door, now...
now...


That’s odd...why would she be thinking about a door now?

In… Inside...
Let me in!!


Little by little, the words and voice deteriorated. Hushed whispers and loud screaming all at once, high mechanical pitch to low frequencies melding together in a horribly mismatched jumble.

LeT mE IN.
Let. ME. in.

leT Us iN


A shocking chill struck her hard, making her freeze in her spot in disbelief and horror.
The words… they were not hers.

“Every time your psyche becomes unstable, they inch closer and closer.” the stranger explained.
“If you keep letting your guard down, they will find a way in here.”

Why are they here?


“Because you let them in.”

I didn’t!


“Maybe not intentionally, and maybe not all the way. You are lucky; so far only one found a way in here. But soon the others will follow, they always do.”

A terrifying chill filled Shatter to the core at these stranger’s words.
Others?


The image of the cloaked entity flashed into her memory, sending tremors down Shatter’s spine.
The girl let out a long low breath and seemed to chose her words.
“Listen to me, and listen closely. You don’t have much time; you have to move.” the girl urged. “I will act as your guide but you have to keep yourself strong. You have to go back to the consciousness.”

But… but I’m already dead.


“You’re not dead yet, not if I have a say in it.” the girl told her as-matter-of-factly. “But that also depends on you. Only you can get rid of that unwanted company.”

He’s--- It’s… it’s gone now. I send him away.


“Sure, for now. But he’s still in your Mind Palace and he will come you again.”

Mind Palace?


“Never mind that for now. You need to get moving.”

Shatter swallowed, her heart racing frantically. She forced a full inhale of air into her lungs and exhaled forcefully in an attempt at purging some anxiety. It wasn’t working.

“I’ll have your back for what I can.” the girl said. “For now….I’ll see you on the other side.”

A small hand clapped down on her shoulder from behind and Shatter jolted, startled. A terrified gasp broke the silence and she felt her stomach jump to her throat.

Shatter?” a familiar voice said.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long to update... I had to explore this story a bit more.

I will be honest, not sure how I feel about this chapter as a whole. I love the new character, and her quirks, but what makes sense in my head doesn't necessarily come out right in writing. Please let me know!!