Status: New/Approved

Daemon Academy

I'm trying to stop running away

I clasped my hand over my mouth, trying to stop the screams crawling up my throat. This was what happened most nights. After waking up in a cold sweat from my reoccurring nightmare, I’d try to stop myself from screaming. Why should I be forced to relive the worst moment of my life?

I looked around the dirty motel room and wiped the sweat off my forehead. I thought about how my life had been for the past three years and I wanted to cry again. I’ve been on my own since I was thirteen. That was when my mother was murdered.

I rubbed my hand over my shoulder blade, over my black diamond tattoo that was passed down to me. The vivid memory of me hiding under the bed as I watched demons beat, torture and kill my mother for her power. It made me sick to my stomach but I couldn’t do anything about it I was a powerless, scared kid. Her power swayed me to stay put and cover my eyes until she longer had control over her power. After they left, I held her in my arms and cried.

As the tears ran down my face, the rain began pouring, a side effect of my power as a Tempestras. My kind is able to control wind, rain or, if well-developed, lightning, from existing weather conditions. We can also do small, practical things such as deflecting rain from windshields or from our bodies. I wished I would someday become like Robert Vasic or Troy Morgan who were known Tempestras demons.

My shoulder began to itch, then the itching turned to burning and the burning turned to pain. My tears of lost became screams of pain and the weather became a horrific storm of crashing lightning, booming thunder, heavy winds and flooding rains.

I pulled myself out of my memory and saw the rain trickle down my window. I felt the wetness of my cheek and realized how deep I was pulled into that memory, like always. Forced to be on the run because I now possessed a power that’s cursed my family for generations; the power to control other demons. Some have used it for good, bad or haven’t used it at all and now it’s my burden to bear.

I decided to take a quick shower and get back on the road; there was no sleeping now. I peeled back the sheets and headed towards the shower, a cold shower should wake me up. In the middle of my shower, thinking of where to go next, I heard a noise come from my room. I turned off my shower and wrapped the towel around me as tight as possible, preparing to fight. As I took my first step out, I saw the shadow move and sprang into action. Whatever it was tackled me but I was able to defend myself pushed him off me.

“Panda!” he growled at me. Only two people called me that annoying nickname - my mother, who gave me the nickname or...

“Adrian?” He stepped into the moonlight. “What the hell?” I attacked him again out of anger. He pinned my arms to my sides.

“You’ve definitely gotten stronger,” he said.

“How did you find me?” As he stared at my towel clad body, I sighed and stormed into the bathroom to change.

“Is that how you speak to your fiancé?” he questioned. I glared at the door.

“I was promised to you when I was six,” I yelled as I rushed to get dressed.

In my bloodline, the children born had to create a special bond with a partner that could be their guardian, just like my parents. Their parents (my grandmothers and grandfathers) had decided upon letting their kids grow together and by the sacred ritual of sharing, they were promised to one another. Usually the ritual took place after the kids have had their thirteenth birthday. It didn’t matter about the boys but for the girls it was an unbroken rule. My parents went against it in my case for unknown reasons and I was promised to Adrian when I was only six years old.

Our ceremony took place in my family’s house, and only close family friends could attend. The mansion was decorated with crimson ribbons; a symbol of the union by the blood bidding contract. Nothing else had to be changed for that special occasion. A demon priest was summoned by my father, and he started the sacred ritual. After a few words by him, he called our names, and we took steps forwards. He grabbed our hands, Adrian’s right and my left. The demon priest placed my hand on top of his and Adrian’s on top of mine. He said a few more words in the ancient language of demons and a crimson ribbon appeared around our wrists, tied tightly. I felt pain on my wrist were the ribbon was and when the ribbon came undone after two minutes, my wrist and Adrian’s was slightly cut and blood was running. The priest raised our hands and said ‘’United forever and always’’ before he crossed our hands by connecting our wounds in an X shape.

“The point is if I found you and there is only a matter of time before the next demon does,” he said stating the obvious.

“I’ve been doing fine on my own.” I stormed out of the bathroom and began packing my backpack. I had to leave. I had stayed here for too long, and that was the reason Adrian could find me.

“Pandora, you need to learn to control your gift,” he looked worried.

“I’m a Tempestras. I’m doing fine,” I told him. There were other Tempestras like me and they were way better than me. I knew that much, but I protected myself just fine till now. No one had found me, no one other than Adrian.

“Not the power I mean and you know it,” he said and then it downed on me. He was talking about the curse; that diamond tattoo.

“No one knows how to control it. It’s a curse.” I argued, raising my voice.

“Pandora.” He sighed.

“Everyone who’s ever had it is dead, that’s why it is now my responsibility and that’s why death is my fate too,” I said.

“Pandora…”

“Why do you care?” I screamed at him and he looked at me stunned.

“I wanted to protect you. I always will want to protect you. I need to keep you protected and away from harm.” His voice was soft, apologetic even, and he seemed sincere.

“You abandoned me,” I half whispered with a tear rolling down my eye. I didn’t want to cry or show these shameful tears to him, so I tried to hold myself back, wiping the tear away. After my father’s death, Adrian had left on a trip to gain control over his powers and train his body so that he could stay by my side even if my life was in danger. Mother had told me everything about it, but at the young age of thirteen were my only friend was Adrian, it didn’t seem right. Why couldn’t he stay by my side? Why couldn’t he train with me like we used to? No one explained it to me.

“I had to,” he replied, sadness covering his features.

The memory of him leaving me clouded my thoughts as my mind travelled back in time.

My mother and I had gone to stay with father’s brother in Scotland after my father died, and Adrian of course stayed with us because we still had to train. Adrian’s parents allowed it thanks to my uncle’s influence and strength. They knew Uncle Jonathan would keep us safe even if he had to risk his own life and they knew it.

It was a cold winter day, yet I still had gone to the garden wearing only a light, white dress. It was Sunday afternoon and the weather was chilly. Adrian was wearing a blue pair of jeans and a white shirt while his parents waited by the main gate of the mansion. Adrian had brought a red rose for me and had sat opposite me on the grass without saying a word till I had said, ‘’thank you.’’

‘’I have to go, Panda.’’ He had said and I had instantly felt afraid. Unable to utter a word, or even ask why, I felt the wind getting stronger and stronger. He kissed my cheek before he turned his back on me and left. Was it as hard for him as it was for him? My small heart couldn’t contain the feelings of abandonment and sadness as I watched him get inside the black and leaving me behind.

Everyone I ever loved was slowly leaving my side. First, my father died and then Adrian left me. I remember thinking that maybe my mother and even my uncle would leave me too. I remember my heart feeling like it would burst out of my chest and then lightening coming down from the sky before my very eyes. The tree in front of me, with around ten steps distance, was cut in two. My mother hurried to take me in her arms and calm my berserk self.


“Why?” I asked him breaking away from the sad memory that was filling my heart with sadness once again.

“Your mother knew I couldn’t protect you when you were younger and I agreed. Our parents agreed to send me away, to get the proper training and education in order to learn how to keep you alive,” he admitted.

“A few years back, I was getting things settled and I was going to come and get you, but I heard about some demons banning together to hunt you and your mother. I went searching for you both, but you know your mother - cunning as ever, harder than life to track. I figured out her pattern and sent her a few messages to meet up with me but unfortunately not before someone else figured out her pattern first,” he explained. “And then… after her death…” he whispered. “…I set off to find you and now we need to go as soon as possible.”

“Go where?” I asked.

“Daemon Academy,” he answered.

“No,” I told him. I didn’t want to go to school. All my life I avoided humans and demons alike in order to be safe and now I had to enroll in a demon academy? What was Adrian thinking asking me this? I couldn’t understand.

“This is not a debate,” he said before he added, ‘’your mother wants you to go there too. Actually, I’m following her orders on that.’’ The only reason I studied so hard to be a professor and get myself to work there was because Anastasia demanded I did so.

“How can I trust anyone there anymore than I can trust you?” I asked before I continued, ‘’do you think I’ll be safe there? I won’t.’’

“Panda…”

“Don’t.” I wanted to cry, but I refused to do that in front of him.

“I’m your guardian and I am a professor at that school. I’ve been working there for three years now and the place is perfect for you. I made sure of it. I’ll be able to keep an eye on you and you’ll develop your powers as a Tempestras easier with the help of the specialists and the professors.” He grabbed my backpack as he added, “I’m not going to let you die, nor am I going to let you kill yourself in this idiotic attempt to keep running. Now let’s go!” he yelled.

I got dressed and sulked about it as I snuck peeks of Adrian. The years of training had put a rough and sexy edge to him. I kept trying to convince myself that I grew up with him, that he was family, and that he was like a brother but I couldn’t help it, he was my fiancé.

I sighed as I turned to him. I would be lying if I said it wasn’t a relief not to have to run anymore, to have someone around I trusted with my life. I also would be lying if I said I would survive losing Adrian because I was in a place surrounded by demons who wanted to get to my power.

“Do they know I’m coming?” I asked.

“Yes, under an assumed name though. I wouldn’t put you at risk by letting anyone know who you really are, you know that,” he assured me.

“Good, and what’s my new name?” I asked.

“Pandora Winston,” he answered. I had to admit it had a nice ring to it.

“Why didn’t you change my first name?” I asked.

“I just like calling you Panda.” He smiled.

“You’re a jerk,” I said as I grabbed my stuff and headed towards the door, but he blocked my way.

“What?” I asked. He just looked at me. I growled at him and tried to push him out of the way. After I ended my useless struggle he pulled me close. The scent coming off his body was intoxicating and I sighed as he wrapped his arms around me.

“I missed you Panda,” he whispered.

“Don’t call me that,” I mumbled.

“I promise to protect you, always,” he said. That was a promise I was going to hold him onto.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi Guys. Starting a new story after a long time being away. Let us know what you think, rec, comment and subscribe. Thanks.