Back in Black (and Gold)

Chapter 3

**September 10th, 2015 Jass POV**

Finally after 10 days I had the whole house unpacked and organized! I felt like celebrating. There was just one thing missing, a dining set. I was now looking online while Max was at practice and the kids were in the front yard, I was on the patio. We needed something to fit a lot of people but was also small enough for everyday use. I didn’t find anything I liked on Wayfair or All Modern so here I was on Hayneedle. Heck I even looked on local sites like Room and Board.

“Ugh!” Nothing. Again! Then it hit me. I could look at outdoor tables too, that would double my chances of finding the right table. Would you know it I found the perfect one on Hayneedle. It even came with benches I could reuse elsewhere in the house. I ordered it and the chairs I had fallen hard for. I would look for a lazy susan once I knew how big it needed to be. I put the computer back in my office and went down to play with the kids.

Once the kids were playing their version of tag; they hid, I counted and they found me. I noticed one of our new neighbors looking from across the street. I waved and noticed she disappeared. It wasn’t until I saw her pushing a stroller that two and two made four. At home with a child.

“Hi, I’m Tami Sheridan. My husband Bill said you guys moved in yesterday. I would have brought something over but Jesse is still so little.” I looked in the stroller and saw who I thought was a 2 month old.

“Hi, I’m Jass and those two are Jax and Nikki. Jesse is what 2 months?” She nodded happily. “They’re 20 months. We actually moved in on Labor Day, drove down from our summer home to this season’s place.” The kids had found a pile of leaves to play in. I rolled my eye and shook my head.

“Aren’t you going to stop them?” Tami asked as if she was concerned.

“Nope, it would mean that they would be drawn to it. It’s easier just to bathe them later.” They were squealing and happy, that what mattered to me.

“Oh, that makes sense. You said drove down, where from?” I moved us to the patio and sat down.

Jax brought a leaf over to me. “Thank you Jax, that’s a nice leaf.” He grinned, set it down and bounded off. “My husband is from Montreal and our summer home is there, near his family. I’m from Philly and we try to get there as much as we can.”

Tami looked amazed. “I can’t imagine moving so much. How do you keep a job?”

I chuckled. “We follow my husband’s career. Fortunately my job is much more mobile. I’m the CEO of my Family’s Trust and as long as I have internet I can get to meetings. If I have to be there in person, my Gran and dad quickly volunteer to watch the munchkins.”

Just then Max drove up. The kids screamed happily and began to ran towards him. “Hold!” I shouted and they both froze. Tami looked impressed. I quickly explained. “It’s teach them how to freeze with a word go always be chasing them. It’s 2 against 1 most of the time, the former was easier.”

“I can see that.” Max came out of the garage and unfroze the kids. “Hi hon, meet Tami Sheridan from across the street.”

Max picked the kids up and came over. “Nice to meet you. Max Talbot, I’m guessing you’ve met Jass and the monsters.” Tami nodded.

Tami smiled. “Oh yes, the kids were playing and drew my attention. Jesse isn’t yet up to playing like this.” She waved to her 2 month old in the bassinet. That’s when she remembered something. “Talbot, not the hockey player?”

Max grinned. “That would be me. Playing for the Bruins since March so here we are.” Jax started trying to tickle Max at the same time Nikki started peppering him with kisses. “Excuse me, time for the daddy monster to melt into a pile of goo.” He said matter of factly before doing so in an elaborate fashion.

The kids giggled and rolled around on Max while Tami just shook her head. She sat back down and we continued our conversation. “Bill is going to freak, he loves the Bruins.” Just then Jesse started to fuss. “Oh not now.”

“Diaper or hungry?” She indicated the latter. “Bring her in. We don’t have a problem with either way you feed her.” I stood and opened the front door. We went inside and she fed her little girl.

I got her a glass of water and she grinned. “This is a lovely room, so open.”

“It has it’s downsides, mainly keeping the kids from going up and down the stairs without an adult or worse into the garage. Fortunately we’ve found some great gates that stand up to them.” I showed her the retractable gate on the stairs.

She looked like it was a gift from god. “Could those hold a dog too?” I nodded. “You _have_ to tell me where you got those. I’d love to be able to keep our lab from getting into places.” I chuckled and wrote down the website where we found them.

“They are rated for both dogs and kids. I love that they completely retract so when I don’t need them, I hardly notice them.” We chatted while she fed Jesse.

Later that afternoon, while the kids were napping, the phone rang and Max took it into the office. I kept on getting dinner things prepped while he spoke to whomever it was. He came back into the room after the conversation was over with a grin on his face. “How would you feel about having a couple extra people tonight?”

I paused in my chopping. “Max, we don’t yet have a dining table. I just ordered it and the chairs today.” He looked in the dining area and smacked himself in the forehead. “Call them back and ask if they mind a more casual meal and eating off of tray tables.” He did quite quickly.

I continued cutting up the things I needed to for dinner and expanded the menu a little bit by adding the kids favorite quick and easy fruit salad and some rolls I had made the day before, with the kids help of course.

Max came back out laughing. “Bergy says if you can deal with toddler twins and his pregnant wife, then he can deal with tray tables. He’s insisting they bring something so I said don’t do anything fancy.” I giggled and finished up the chopping of the vegetables. He moved behind me and cuddled close. “He told me that he wanted to make sure you knew someone here for when I’m away.”

I leaned my head back on his shoulder. “It always helps knowing someone who’s going through the same as you are. Especially when they are close. I know all the other girls would help but they are farther away.” He kissed my cheek and rubbed his beard along it, making me giggle. “Stop it. You know that tickles.”

He whispered in my ear. “I know, it also makes you bothered.” Oh that was evil of him! The kids were asleep, we didn’t have time to do anything. “Hold onto that feeling mon amour, Tonight you’re all mine.” That evil rat bastard!

Dinner was a blast. It turned out that Stephanie had put together nice gifts for us when Max was traded but seeing that the kids and I had gone to Philly instead of joining Max in Boston for those few weeks we hadn’t gotten them. “When Max said you gave your kids a color code, it made it a lot easier to get them things. I hope they like what I found for them.”

The kids just about screamed when they saw the matching backpacks to what they already had. Max about died laughing. “They have the same backpacks for when we go out.” That made everyone else laugh.

Inside the bags were microfiber towels, the correct size swimsuit in the correct colors even, a pair of Frogglez, and 2 silicone travel bottles also color coded. The card enclosed was for swim lessons. I didn’t know what to say. Fortunately Stephanie did. “We like to try and have something all of girls can do with the kids aside from the games. These are through Boston University’s pool, we have a group lesson time this fall, starting in October. We really want you to join us, and by us I mean all the girls. Obviously I won’t be joining right away but it’s a spot we can be with the kids and have a chance to not be in the spotlight.”

I chuckled. “I can handle the spotlight. I run the biggest Trust in Philly long distance.”

“Oh, I didn’t know you had a job.” She put her hand across her mouth as if she screwed up.

“It’s not that big of a job. I have monthly meetings via Skype that I schedule around whatever is going on with us. My dad and Gran handle the stuff that can’t wait. It was more work when I ran Bastion than the entire Trust. The paperwork I can mostly do when the two of them are resting.” I pointed to the kids who were now modelling their frogglez.

**October 21st, 2015**

6 weeks later the kids and I were getting ready to go out for a picnic when the phone rang. It was Patrice. “Hello? Oh hi! What? That’s great news! Yeah I can come sit with her. The kids can bring lunch and have it there, we’ll bring some toys too for them. Give us a few and then you can go grab a nap.” Changing my plans on a dime, I quickly packed up what we were going to have, the small gift I had found for her and then I grabbed the bag of fruit I had just bought. It wasn’t a lot but it was better than hospital food.

I packed up the kids with coloring books, books and quiet toys and then swung through Stephanie’s favorite spot for lunch and then Dunkin Donuts for a coffee for her. We got to the hospital and up to the mother-baby unit in time to see Patrice looking worried. “Stop that dad. Let us go see that new one while I get my two fed then you go nap at home before the game.”

He saw me and relaxed. “Oh thank you. Can I help you?” He looked at what I had in my hands.

I chuckled. “No, I have it Bergy. I’ve got lots of practice juggling.” We went into the room to see mom trying to figure out how to feed the new baby. “Oh Steph I’m sorry I didn’t realize.” I said, trying to back out.

“Don’t go! Please.” She said kind of desperately. “I can’t figure out what we’re doing wrong.”

With practiced ease I spread out the kids tuffo blanket and had them quickly eating on it. I then moved over to Stephanie and the little one. I didn’t have a lot of expertise in breastfeeding as I had to stop pretty quickly after the kids were born, but I could tell right away what was wrong. “It hurts doesn’t it?” She nodded and I popped the baby off her breast. “Get good at that maneuver, I have a feeling you’re going to need it.”

I moved and showed her how to hold her breast so that the baby could latch properly, by demonstrating on myself so she could see it the right way and get it faster. “That’s what they were talking about. I had no clue.” I helped her bring the baby close.

“Now when he opens his mouth wide, put your entire areola in his mouth.” She tickled his lips and so he was wide open. “Now.” The baby latched on but his lips weren’t in the right position. “Here’s how to reposition his lips so they are flared wide. I showed her how to do the top one and walked her through feeling her way through the bottom. “Better?”

“Yeah, lots. Still hurts but not _nearly_ as much.” She sighed back into the pillows behind her. “Thanks. I bet twins were harder though.”

My heart contracted a bit as she assumed. “Actually a few weeks after they were born I was told to stop breastfeeding for their health and mine. I didn’t make enough milk due to a reduction in my early teens. We tried hard though before I was told to stop.” I chuckled. “I felt like a cow not a new mom they were so hungry all the time.”

“Oh gosh, I’m sorry. I just assumed. I hope Zach doesn’t do that.” She was obviously feeling bad about it.

“No worries. It took the pediatrician and his office’s lactation consultant to get me to stop. Then it turned out the kids were allergic to the first type of formula we tried, or at least didn’t like it. Max was awesome through it though. Made me go take a nap while he and Dutchy looked after the kids, giving them their second bottles and such. Even arranged a party celebrating what I could do again after being pregnant and trying to nurse. The entire set of girls held the kids all night while I got to do nothing mommy related.” I both hated that day and treasured the memory.

“Sounds like it was trying but you made it through. What’s in the bags?” She said looking with interest at them.

“You’re welcome to the club gifts.” I moved and pulled out what I had gotten one by one. “Your favorite meal that you said you couldn’t wait to have again. Your favorite coffee; for the same reason. Some fruit because hospital food isn’t always what it should be and this will help. Your 27 ounce Klean Kanteen with sport cap so you can hydrate easily while your nurse and,” I pulled out the bucket of nurse bait I had made up, “The bait bucket for your ‘oh so awesome and don’t get enough credit’ nurses.”

Patrice sighed and leaned back into the wall. “You know so well what would be perfect for her today. Thank you so much Jass.” He was half asleep standing there.

“Go home and get some rest. I’ll stay with her until she kicks me out or the kids have a fit whichever come first.” He kissed his wife and his newborn son and left the room.

“I thought he would never leave. I love him, don’t get me wrong but he has a game tonight.” She sighed out as she dug in carefully to the food I brought. “So, good…” I grabbed a seat and texted Max where we were and not to worry.

A few hours later, when I knew Max would be getting ready for the game and the kids were zonked out on their blanket, in came both Tatiana Chara and Taika Rask. I didn’t know either of them well but they were well established WAGs. “Girls, Patrice must have told everyone didn’t he?” They both nodded. That’s when I noticed Taika was pregnant.

Tatiana came over and sat down on the couch. “Thank you for coming over and helping. Patrice said you came right away after he called.” She was gently finger combing Jax’s hair as she spoke.

“I knew he needed to rest and mine were just happy to have a picnic lunch anywhere. They’ve been very good.” I couldn’t say no when he was so clearly in need of help.

“She’s been awesome, even brought me some things I’d been craving and some stuff I didn’t know I would need.” Zach was blissed out in the bassinet and Steph was looking more put together than when I got here. I had told her to go take her first shower and she came out so much happier.

Taika sighed as she found another chair. “So you know what would be good for bringing too. I may need to pick your brain.”

I smiled. “Happy to help. These two will be 2 on Christmas, I still remember talking to everyone about what to bring.”

Tatiana sighed. “Your twins are so good. I hope ours will be too.” That was news. “Would you help me in figuring out what we’re going to need too?”

Nikki rolled over on top of Jax, causing him to whine. I got up and moved her back off of him. “Hush Jax, I’ve moved her.” I said quietly. He settled back down and I was able to answer Tatiana. “I’d love to help. Unlike what most people think you don’t need two of everything.”

This led to a discussion on what I liked and didn’t like as the kids grew. It was fun to find out that Taika planned on cloth diapering and making her own baby food in time. I knew just who to ask for recipes that were baby tested already. I also knew then what I wanted to get Taika for her baby shower, books that my two love. Not our copies of course but others and ones that Tuukka could read to the baby just them, like I had done with Max.

**Oct. 27th, 2015 Max’s POV**

Jass was going to be pissed! I had gotten called into Don’s office after practice and told I was being sent to Providence. I was told it wouldn’t be for too long, a week maybe a bit more. They wanted me to play and right now our roster had a lot of guys on it.

I got home and called up the maps app on my phone. We were about an hour from Providence and calling up their schedule this weekend would be a busy one. This would also mean I couldn’t take the kids trick or treating this year. Oh yeah, one unhappy wife I would have. I went upstairs and packed for 2 weeks just in case, including the roadies. I then came back down and found the courage to tell my wife. “Um, hon… I got some news you won’t like.”

She looked up from the report she was reading. “What kind of news?” Seeing my face she put the report down. “We haven’t been traded already have we?”

“No!” I put out both hands to ward off that thought. “No. I’ve been sent down to Providence.” Normally guys of my years aren’t sent down without a good, coming back from injury, reason. I saw her sigh.

“How long will you be gone?” I moved over to her and sat down on the couch.

“A week, maybe more. It does mean that I won’t be here for this weekend.” She sighed. Jass had put together an awesome family costume and now I wouldn’t be here to do it.

She side eyed me. “You mean I have to be the Mother of Dragons without you?” It was a show we both had gotten into and I hated that I couldn’t be here to play my part. “I guess I’ll have to take pictures and such.”

I pulled her over onto my chest. “You know I’d be here if I could.” Yeah I was a veteran of the NHL but I was new to the team, that meant I had little to no say in where I played. Then it dawned on me what else wouldn’t be happening while I was there. “You’re not going to get much of a break from them while I’m gone.”

Jass snorted. “I don’t when you’re on the road either. They’re gonna miss you horribly.” The fact that she would too went unsaid but felt deeply.

I kissed her temple and sighed. “Call Gran or your Dad, have them come up while I’m gone. You’d get the breaks you need and you know they’d love it.”

She moved her hand to her phone and it rang. “Hello? Hi Gran, I was about to call you. You what?” She giggled. “Max is being sent to Providence for at least a week, how about you escape here until Dad gets over that?” Her parents’ divorce had been finalized over the summer, her dad had taken it harder than we all expected. Then he found a new romance and was driving everyone crazy again.

She put Gran on speaker. “Maxime, did you tell her to call me?” Well duh Gran, I knew my wife.

“Yes ma’am. I knew she’d need breaks over this next week and I know you’d love to see our place. Pictures really don’t do what she’s done with it justice.” They really didn’t, she’d taken a modern masterpiece and turned it into a functional modern home. I even loved the dining table she’d gotten, even if it was supposedly an outdoor table.

“When do you have to leave Max?” Ah, down to the heart of the issue…

“Soon after the kids wake up. It’s only an hour’s drive from where we are.” I really didn’t want to make the drive but I had no choice.

In her no nonsense style Gran chuckled. “I’ll be up tomorrow afternoon then. Jassmine, do you have a car or are we buying you one while I’m there?”

Jass laughed. “Mine just came into the dealership, I got the call while Max was at practice and hadn’t gotten a chance to tell him yet.” That changed my plans a bit, getting her car was important so she wouldn’t be stranded. “I was going to ask if we could get it and then he let me know about this.” Her annoyance was palpable.

“We’ll go get it before I take off then. Don’t want you to be unable to get somewhere just in case.” That put a smile on her face again.

Within 2 hours we had made sure Gran knew she was more than welcome, gotten the kids up and gotten her new car. I was now on my way to Providence. I hoped this time there would be good for me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey all, I hadn't forgotten BIB (as I call it). I thought I had posted this chapter earlier and found out I had not so I did a series of "time jumps" to move it forward.

Most everything I mention is on one of the Pinterest Boards I've got for my fics.

Yes I have tied Sisu into BIB cause damn it why not?! They are in the same season, I see no reason not to have them show up. For that matter who knows who else can or might show up.... >:)

Love you guys!