Status: Active

Turbulence

One

Summer Rae’s entrance music cuts. I hear JBL announce that, after the commercial break, I’ll be making my debut. The much anticipated debut, he says.

I have a commercial break to compose myself. Three whole minutes. Maybe four, at most. I try to shake the jitters, but nothing can make the anxious feeling go away.

Tonight is my in ring debut with the WWE. My first time performing for a new crowd, with people I have no history with. I know it’s a good thing. Everyone claims that being signed by Vince McMahon means you made it: only the best make it inside his ring.

But the WWE isn’t what I know. It’s not what I’ve called home for seven years. It’s not what built my career. It hasn’t made me into the one of the most decorated female champions. TNA is where that happened. The six sided ring and Knockouts championship is all I know. I had a solid fanbase. I knew every single woman I wrestled with. I worked my ass off for the respect I was given.

Yet, here I am, preparing for a new set of fans. I don’t know if people will know who I am or my accomplishments. I don’t even know if my opponent knows who I am. I have never met the girl I’m facing tonight. Everything is new, and that terrifies me.

The familiar murmur of my music begins. The commercial break passed in the blink of an eye. I don’t have time to worry anymore; I just have time to perform.

There’s a roar from the crowd when I make my entrance. There’s more cheers for me than I expected. I even spot a sign or two with my name. Summer doesn’t look impressed seeing me, but I don’t expect her to. She rolls her eyes as I lean onto the ropes. We wait for the referee to finish speaking. He tells us he wants a clean match, and only that.

The bell rings. Summer immediately comes at me. I’m able to swiftly move and pull the ropes down, causing her to fly out of the ring. I exit the ring and pull her up from the ground. I kick her midsection, which causes her to stumble into the barricade. We exchange a few punches. When the referee gets to a count of eight, we roll inside the ring.

Summer drop kicks me. While I’m down, she climbs to the top rope. I stay down until she jumps. I move out of the way so she lands on the mat.She lays on the ground, holding her elbow. I know this is my time. I put her into my finishing move, a variation of the armbar. Within seconds, Summer taps.

“Your winner, Charlotte!” Lilian exclaims over the mic. The ref holds my hand up and congratulates me. The announcers begin to talk about something that happened a few weeks ago, and flash back to it. The camera is off me, so I take the opportunity to walk to the back.

To my surprise, Stephanie McMahon is there to greet me. “Charlotte! You did fantastic!” She says, pulling me into a sweaty hug.

“Thank you, Stephanie,” I smile.

“We should’ve signed you months ago,” She says. I try to maintain my smile, but I can feel it falter. I make a comment about going to change, and Stephanie nods. “Let’s talk on Thursday. We need to talk in detail about your character. You’d be an excellent face,” She comments.

“Yeah, I’ll see you Thursday. Thanks so much, Stephanie,” I smile.

I grab a water bottle from a nearby bin. I take a few sips while I walk to my locker room. I know my first match was a success. I should be ecstatic, but I’m not. While I am satisfied with the turnout of my match, the only thing I want to do is leave for my hotel.

The thing is, I’ve never had intentions of signing with the WWE. I thought I’d always stay with Total Nonstop Action, but here I am. All the unfamiliarities, from the faces beside me to the layout of the ring, serve as a reminder that not at home.

Signing with WWE was the best choice I could make, though. A few months ago, my situation changed. I was dating Ethan Carter III, the nephew of my boss, Dixie Carter. When our year and a half relationship ended, both my personal and professional life changed. As I was adjusting to life without Ethan by my side, he took the opportunity to convince his aunt that I broke his heart. I received backlash harsher than I ever anticipated. Unfair matches, horrible storylines, and biased treatment became the norm.

When Vince McMahon came to me, offering to double the salary of my TNA contract, I couldn’t resist. I desperately needed an environment I’d be appreciated in.

And while this is my first match, this isn’t my first time in a WWE building. Back when Phil Brooks, also known as CM Punk, was in ECW, he and I dated. Eight years ago, I was a frequent visitor of the locker rooms.

But this isn’t how it was eight years ago. I don’t have a relationship with any of these people. Phil has retired, and all the household names are people I’ve never gotten to know. If anybody does recognize me, nobody’s said anything. Back then, I had short choppy black hair and terrible fashion sense. I was just a fraction of the wrestler I am now.

“Leaving already?” A voice asks. I turn around and take a look at my opponent from tonight.

“Yeah, I think so,” I give her a halfhearted smile.

“Do you have a flight to catch?”

“No,” I shake my head. I open my duffle bag and pull out my street clothes. I look between Summer and my bag, trying to give her a subtle hint that I’d like to change now.

“Why don’t you stay and hang out? We’d all love to get to know you,” Summer smiles.

I don’t know who she means by saying we, but I don’t ask. Instead, I offer Summer a more forced smile. “I appreciate that, and I’d love to get to know everyone, too. I just don’t think tonight’s that night.”

“Yeah, okay,” Summer nods, “If you change your mind, I’m not driving to the next location until Wednesday. I know what it’s like to be new and not know anybody, and I’d hate for you to feel alone.”

“Thank you, I appreciate it,” I say truthfully. As Summer walks away, I change into my sweater and skinny jeans. I take my phone out of my duffle and stuff my ring gear into it. I swing the bag over my shoulder. As I walk out of the building, I check my texts.

I have two. One is from my mother, congratulating me on my win tonight. The other is from Ethan.

I have no idea why Ethan would text me. I haven’t talked to him in weeks. He isn’t the type of person who would congratulate me on my debut, especially since he’s the reason I switched companies. He’s probably texting me something despicable, a new insult he thought up. Or, he could be talked about an advancement in his career: something I won’t be getting any time soon.

But that’s not what he says.

From: Ethan Carter
Time: 8:17pm
I lost tonight.

I don’t know what surprises me more: Ethan losing, or the fact that he’s telling me. I’m unsure of what to say. I could be heartless and provide him a dose of reality. I should tell him that I won tonight, and it’s no longer my business if he wins or loses.

I do feel bad for him. He isn’t accustomed to losing. Ethan’s been on the top for so long, that he doesn’t know what it’s like to fall down. It sounds silly, I know it does. We have our problems, but I still know him better than anyone else.

To: Ethan Carter
Time: 9:00
Leaving for my hotel now. Call after?

I won’t be calling Ethan for his sake; I need a little ounce of familiarity, too.
♠ ♠ ♠
I probably should've waited longer to post this & my editing sucks, but I'm really excited about this story. Let me know what you think!