Status: Active

Turbulence

Three

For Thursday’s show, I’m scheduled for a match against Natalya. She’s a Diva I’ve heard a lot about - her family legacy isn’t something to mess with. When I arrive at the venue, I’m unsure of where to go. I have yet to socialize with anyone.

I have an interview scheduled around the time the show starts, so I had to arrive early. I set my bag in the locker room and walk into the direction of Stephanie’s office. I knock on the door, and open it once she gives me the okay. When she sees me, a wide smile takes over her face. “Charlotte, it’s nice to see you,” She motions to the empty seat in front of her.

“Nice to see you, too,” I say as I take my seat. I look around the burgundy office. Framed images of iconic superstars rest on the walls. WWE is always traveling - do they do this for every makeshift office?

“I think we should talk over your character. I know we initially talked to you about being a heel, but I think we should change that. You’d be a great face. The fans love you, Charlotte.” According to my social media, the fans don’t love me. Hundreds of tweets pour in everyday about how I switched companies when I shouldn’t have. My relationship with Ethan was somewhat public: we posted pictures with each other occasionally. Fans seemed to know we broke up, and some have been bitter about that. The fans don’t love me, and it’s obvious.

Instead of mentioning that, I offer Stephanie a tight lipped smile, “Yeah, maybe. I don’t know if you’ve seen my work at TNA, but I’ve always been a heel. Transitioning to a new company with an unfamiliar role on such short notice is going to be difficult.”

“TNA is old news, Charlotte. What’s current and relevant is your career here. We have a few great heels right now - Naomi, Tamina, Paige, Sasha, and Summer. We’re lacking a great face. The Bellas can’t be the only faces our company has.”

“Natalya is a face, and she’s my opponent tonight,” I remind Stephanie. I don’t appreciate her telling me my body of work is irrelevant, but I try not to push it.

“I know. That means you won’t do anything out of line in your match tonight. Paige will intervene, creating your first rivalry here. In your interview before the show, you will talk about the good you can bring to the Divas division. Talk about wanting to make a statement and becoming one of the greatest champions of all time. It will be a clean, managed interview,” Stephanie decides.

“I can’t make this decision for you, but I’m a great heel. The few snippets of air time I had before my debut here had heel intentions. My entrance music is designed for a heel, and my fan base knows me as a heel. I’m already giving up the hardcore matches I’m known for by coming here. It will be difficult for me to keep these people by my side. For those who don’t know me, they’ll already feel like I’m wishy washy. I won’t even have a chance,” I explain, but Stephanie shakes her head.

“I appreciate your input, but it’s already been decided.” I stand up from my seat and turn to leave. I thank her for having the time to speak with me, but she calls me back before I can exit. “Charlotte, my father runs a professional company. We do what is best for business. You’re here because we have the best contract as well as the best opportunities. Incoming Divas don’t get previews before their debuts, but you did. Consider yourself lucky. We could’ve put you in NXT first, like we do for 90% of our incoming men and women, but we didn’t. You’ve had more privilege here than most. Be grateful and thankful. It’s ludicrous to hear you complain about changing your character. After all we’ve done for you, you should accept it with open arms.”

“Thank you, Stephanie,” I repeat. I leave the room before she can say anything else. What she’s saying isn’t false - I have had more privilege than most, but I didn’t ask for it. It’s frustrating. I never approached WWE about changing companies; they approached me.

As much as Dixie despised me these past few months, she usually asked for my input. I was never asked to do something I didn’t want to. The only time I wasn’t respected or wanted were my last few months. It’s my second night here, and I already feel as though I’m not completely welcomed.

I run my hands through my dark hair as I walk back to the locker room. Everything about this situation is stressful. I want to text Ethan, but I refrain. Instead, I change into my ringwear and fix my makeup. My interview is coming up, and I need to be ready for it.

I walk out of the locker room, bumping into Summer Rae in the process. She’s side by side with Natalya, my opponent tonight. “Hey, girls,” I say. With tonight being as stressful as it is, making friends might be the best thing to do.

“Hey, Charlotte! How are you?” Summer asks.

“I’m doing well. How about you?”

“I’m doing great! We’re headed to catering if you’d like to join us,” She smiles.

“Yeah, it’d be great to chat. I’d love to get to know you,” Natalya pitches in.

I tuck a loose strand of hair behind my ear, “Yeah, okay.” I follow them into the direction of catering. As we walk, Natalya asks me basic questions about myself. The only question I don’t know how to answer is when she asks about why I switched companies. I don’t know these women well enough to confide in them, so I just plaster a smile on my face and say, “Well, they say that when you’re with the WWE, you’re the best, right?”

“Definitely,” Summer grins. She brings us to a mostly full table of Superstars. They look up as we approach the table. “Hey, guys. This is Charlotte,” Summer points to me.

I take an empty chair, “Hello.”

I watch as Natalya sits in the chair next to the blonde. She kisses his cheek and takes one of his egg rolls. He smiles as he introduces himself to me. “I’m Tyson. The baldy over there is Cesaro-”

“-everyone thinks they’re gay,” Natalya interjects.

Tyson rolls his eyes, “ She does, but he’s just my tag partner, not my real life partner. The badly with the sleeve of tattoos, that’s Randy.”

I look over at the two men Tyson introduced me to. They’re both cute. I immediately dismiss any impure thought from my head. I just left a relationship, I don’t need to be looking for another. “Do you want to get food?” Summer asks.

Natalya gets up, but I decline. My stomach is in knots from my meeting with Stephanie. I don’t think food would help me. “Are you the girl from TNA?” Cesaro asks.

“Yeah, that’s me.”

My answer seems to have captured the attention of the men in front of me. Randy looks at me with an interested expression, “The street fight girl, right?”

I laugh, nodding my head, “Yeah, that’s me.”

“It’d be really cool if the girls here had street fights,” Cesaro says.

“Maybe now that you’re here it’ll happen,” Tyson says.

I’m skeptical of that ever happening, but I nod. “Yeah, maybe.”

“It’s cool that you’re here. I’ve seen some of your matches. I think you could bring the Divas division up a notch,” Randy says.

I want to agree, but with Stephanie watering down my character, I doubt I can bring much to the division. I also don’t want to seem rude, so I smile and thank Randy. I know he’s a seasoned veteran here - it really is a great compliment to receive. “Thanks, Randy. I appreciate it.”

Summer and Natalya return to the table. Summer starts to talk, steering the conversation into a different direction. I don’t mind the change. The focus off me is a relief. I can feel people staring at me, and that’s overwhelming enough. Everyone at the table sneaks glances at me, and I notice a few people look as I walk by.

When it becomes too overwhelming, I excuse myself. “I think I have an interview soon. I’ll see you guys later?” I know it’s a pitiful attempt to leave, and people might see right through me, but nobody calls me out on it.

I start to walk away. With any luck, I’ll be able to find Renee Young, the woman conducting my interview tonight. I’m about fifty feet away from the table when I feel a hand wrap around my forearm. I turn to see Randy behind me. “Hey?”

“Hi, sorry. I know you have somewhere to be. I just wanted to talk to you for a minute. I know you’re new here, and probably haven’t had a lot of things situated yet. I know you’re not new to traveling or being in a WWE arena, but it’s hard to be an outsider in a new place. If you need, you know, a friend or anything, I’d like to be there for you,” He runs an anxious hand over his head. His other arms extends to me. He puts a wadded paper in my hand. “Here’s my number. Call me, or not, if you don’t want to. I’d understand either way.”

I take the paper from him. “Thank you, Randy. I really do appreciate it. I’ll definitely hit you up some time.”

I appreciate Randy’s kind gesture. He seems genuine about becoming friends, so maybe one night I will text him. At a time like this, friendship doesn’t seem like a bad idea.
♠ ♠ ♠
Trying to get back to regular posting (: