Galaxy

Nebula

"You don't have to do this Gaia 5," Regris 2 murmured into the dark skinned girl's ear as they walked towards a long line of nervous and whimpering girls. Not many guardians had accompanied their females to Registration, so the many who had come alone eyed the duos with a mixture of jealousy and longing.

Gaia 5 patted her guardian's arm reassuringly and gently dislodged his grip on her own. "Yes, I do actually, cause it's the law." She snorted, rolling her eyes as if he was being the crazy one in the situation.

"I can petition for you to stay home. Say I need you to help around the house--" He was now trying and not succeeding in pulling her back the way they came. Once Gaia 5 got it in her head to do something it was next to impossible to dissuade her.

"You're being ridiculous. Now let me go. I'll see you later, Regris 2." She stated, finally managing to wrench her arm away garnering a few surprised looks their way. But the onlookers soon turned away when Regris 2 fixed them with a nasty glare. While he was distracted, Gaia darted into the shortest line. There were always three lines at Registration; The Kneel line, which was always the longest and filled with despondent Velvets and crying girls, the Hospice line which was the second longest line and filled with steel faced girls with their nose in medic books. And finally there was the Choice line, which was always the shortest as most guardians didn't allow their females to choose their career. Thankfully, Regris 2 had always been pretty lenient and kind to his females and always allowed them a choice. So far all the Gaia's before Gaia 5 had chosen Hospice.

It didn't take long for her to reach the front where a heavy set man sat slumped in his chair looking bored.
"Hello! Sir I--" Gaia 5 began, but the man quickly interrupted her with a grunt.

"Hospice, right?" He grunted sparing her a single glance. As soon as he saw the dark skin and the one blue and one green eye he just assumed she would follow the footsteps of her sisters and join Hospice.

"Actually--"

"Oh, Kneel then? Really?--

"I'm not applying for the Hospice or the Kneel wing! I'm applying for the Blood!" Gaia 5 snapped, irritated from the constant interruptions.

The man jerked his head up, his gaze narrowing. "Okay, girl. I don't have time for foolery, pick a correct field."

"I'm not joking! I really do want to join the Blood. I know that in the rules it says that females can't join the Blood, but a thousand years ago on the First Earth, females couldn't join the...Well back then they called it the 'military' but," At this point the argument between the registrar and female had garnered the attention of all three lines, the other two registrars and a few Iron on standby. Gaia 5 began to shrink under their gazes but quickly beat back the apprehension. "A thousand years ago on First Earth, females weren't allowed to fight but then after further investigation it was revealed that females and males were to be considered on the same level as men..." She trailed off as she noticed an Iron slowly raising it's arm. The blue light emitting from it's palm frightened her into silence. A single blast from an Iron could reduce her to dust in the wind. She'd seen it before when a crazed female had tried to pull her daughter out of the Kneel line.

"And this is why I petitioned to have her excluded from Registration!" A voice boomed from behind her and Gaia 5 whirled around to see Regris 2 rapidly approaching. The man wrapped a heavy blanket around her shoulders even though it wasn't cold outside.

"The girl's sick. She gets these violent shivers and can't regulate her temperature and has to remain inside at all times. It's so sad to see that I let her review archive articles to calm her. I'm afraid the information is just too much for her little brain..." Her guardian rambled and soon the tension was defused. The Iron lowered it's arm and the registrar wrote up a ticket to exempt Gaia 5 from Registration for the next three years.