Status: Work In Progress

There's a Ghost in My Attic!

Chapter 1

“Are you serious, Max?”

“You’re really leaving us?”

“That’s so not fair!”

“You can’t go!”

“I’m sorry y’all, but it’s not like I can change my parents’ minds...”

It was late in the afternoon, and classes had just ended. My friends and I were sitting under our favorite tree in the park, a few blocks away from the school. We were all bummed about me leaving, as was I, but what was I to do? Nothing I ever tried, to change my parents’ minds, worked.

“Let’s face it, we’re not going to see each other anymore...” spoke up a redhead, who gave a soft pout, while staring at me through her green-rimmed glasses. Her name was Paulina.

I gave her a light shrug, “Not unless you count texting, or video cam on the computer. We’ll still be able to keep in contact.”

“Oh yea, I forgot about that,” she answered, her face lighting up at the idea. “You have my number, right Maxie?”

I grumbled at the nickname, “How many times do I have to tell you not to call me that?”

Paulina chuckled lightly, as she checked her phone, “About a hundred times.”

I frowned, “Forget I asked.”

“So, with you moving Max, can I have a few of the leftovers that you’re going to leave behind?”

I stared up at one of my buds, who had short black hair, bright blue eyes, and a dimpled smile. He sat above me, practically hanging from one of the branches of the trees, where you can see his belly button. I had to laugh lightly, “Don’t know, Jerry. I might not keep anything here-”

“Yea, we all know how much of a packrat you are, Max.”

I rolled my eyes at Carlos’ comment, turning to the boy, who was busy practicing bouncing a ball on his knees, one from the other. “It’s not like I can help it, Carlos...” I attempted to grab at the ball he was playing with, only for him to snatch it out of my reach.

“Anyone can help going through your things, Max, remember last summer, when you found your cousin’s sister’s underpants in your sock drawer?”

I immediately blushed darkly at the memory, while the group of my friends laughed at it.

“Oh yea, I remember that. Your cousin ran around the house, saying that you stole her panties...Bahahaha!” Joey just had to rub it in; my face grew darker.

“Alright, I think I should be getting home now. Mom is probably going to freak, when she realizes I stayed out a bit too late.” I got up, dusted myself off, and then picked up my red trailer bike, that sat against the tree.

“So, does that mean you won’t be coming to Kaya’s pool party this saturday?” Paulina asked, giving me a raised eyebrow.

I shrugged, not really sure what to say, “I can’t promise anything, I might be gone by tomorrow, and you’ll know it, once my house is empty. IF not, then...I’ll have to see about it.”

“Oh, alright, well, just in case I don’t see you tomorrow...” Paulina walked up, and kissed my blushing face, which had the others giggle.

I knew she had a crush on me, ever since we met in the 5th grade, and it seemed to have grown. “Right...well...bye...”

“Bye! Cya!”

I got on my bike, and rode off, knowing that if this was my last day here, might as well make the best of it, and take the long way home.

~~

“Jackie! Make sure you don’t forget your bras and undies!”

“Mom, I’m like 15, you don’t need to remind me!”

“I know dear, but just to be safe!”

I seemed to have made it back, with the house in a bustle. My mom walked out of the living room with a box full of flower vases. She gave me a small frown, moving the box to her hip, so that she can take a good look at me. “Well, you sure took your sweet time getting back home. Didn’t I tell you to come back before sunset?”

I stood there, my feet swaying from one side to the other, as I played with my fingers, which were hidden behind my back. I mumbled a soft, “Yes...” as my bangs fell into my red fiery eyes, while I looked elsewhere, away from the disappointed look my mother was giving me.

With a heavy sigh, she spoke up, having me look back at her, “Alright. We’ll talk about this later, but for right now, please pick up your room; and place your things in the labeled boxes. Your sister’s up there too, so see if she needs any help with anything, please?”

I groaned, not wanting to deal with Jaqueline, my older sister. She can be such a grump at times, even if she is 3 years older than me. “Whatever...”

I shuffled up the stairway, my mom keeping an eye on me, before my silhouette disappeared from her sight. I heard her sigh once again, before walking off with the boxes outside.

My room wasn’t too far away, just a couple doors down. I walked in, finding loads and loads of boxes stacked neatly by my bed, all of them, with labels, while some had already been packed away with my clothes in it. “Hmm...”

“Hey glitterface, your room’s not going to clean itself ya know, mom says we have to be out of here before the trucks come to pick up our stuff.” Ugh. Sisters.

I turned around to see Jackie standing there, wearing nothing but a red tank top, a white sports bra, black leggings, and converse sneaks. Her brown hair was done up in a single ponytail, making her look a bit older than she was. In her arms, she carried a box that said, Make up, on it. I don’t see what’s so good about that junk girls put on their faces, but it sure makes them look ugly.

I glared at her, the nickname coming back to me, “Just leave me alone, Jackie. I don’t time for your big mouth yapping at me.”

“What did you say, glitterface?” She quickly put the box down, and walked over to me, towering above me, as though she were some evil giant. She was pretty strong for her age, and had me feeling a bit uncomfortable with how close she got.

“Nothing,” I said lowly, leaving her glaring dark eyes, my black bangs hanging over my eyes once again.

“That’s what I thought...” She snickered, roughly pushing me onto a few boxes; before leaving the room, and resuming her work.

I got up, dusted myself off, and muttered, “I hate you..” before getting to work.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, here's the first chapter, it's all I have written so far. How is it?