Unique Animals

Phoenix

When I woke up the next morning the bed was empty. The smell of bacon and pancakes came from the kitchen and I couldn't help but smile. I rolled out of bed and followed the smell of cooking breakfast.

Ivory stood in front of a pan of sizziling bacon, her movements where stiff showing she still hurt.

"You could have woken me up, your still hurt." She looked over her shoulder at me with a smile.

"You where up all night taking care of me, plus I don't feel to bad right now. I just can't streach or move like I usually can."

"Just be careful, I don't want your wounds opening up."

"Yes Doctor." She flashed me a grin. I sighed shaking my head as she went to grab some plates. She quickly made out plates and set them at the table. We both sat down across from eachother.

"So how long have you been able to shift?" I asked. She finishes chewing her food before she looked up at me.

"A week or two. I still take over creatures bodies but to shift I usually need a part of the creature I'm going to shift into." She said.

"So why didnt you take over a creature yesterday when fighting that wendigo?" I asked.

"I told you yesterday that i took over a eagles body when I found it. I can control an animals body as long as it doesn't have any strong emotions. Like if I where to take over a rabbit's body then go to you I wouldn't be able to control it because it would be to scared of you for me to control. Yesterday the eagle I was in was scared of the wendigo. I wouldn't be able to get close to it. So i had no choice but to shift."

"I see but next time tell me then I wouldn't have you do something so dangerous."

"I'll tell you." She said stabbing her pancake with her fork. The phone rang causing both of us to jump. I quickly reached over and answered it.

"Hello."

"How is Ivory?" My dad asked.

"I'm just fine." She said.

"Good I want you two at my office as soon as you can." He said.

"Ok we will be there as soon as we can." I said.

"Good." He said and hung up. Ivory wuickly finished her food and went to rinse it off in the sink.

"I'll go get changed real quick." She said leaving the room. I quickly finished my food and went to get dressed.

Ivory met me by the front door wearing a tight black long sleeve shirt and black jeans. Like yesterday her long white hair was braided with feathers adding colors of gold and black.

"Ready?" I asked.

"Yup." She said. We both went to my truck and headed to the pack house. The whole way there Ivory's fingers drumed in her leg showing she was nervous.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Being around so many wolves while I'm hurt makes me nervous." She said.

"Don't worry after yesterday I doubt many wolves would mess with you. "

"I guess it still makes me nervous all the same." She gave me a small smile.

I pulled up to the pack house and like usual it was crowded. Wolves in both human and wolf form walked around and seemed to look at us as we pulled in.

They all watched Ivory with cautious eyes. They didn't want to get close to her or even meet her eyes. Inside you could hear the laughter of pups playing and the female talking somewhere near by. Ivory walked next to me and tried not to let the eyes of another wolf.

A group of young pups ran out of on room one running into Ivory. Ivory grabbed into the pup pefore it fell back. It looked up to say something but froze. The pups eyes widen and everything around us went silent. The pup looked to be around 9 or 10 and she looked up at Ivory in fear.

I Ivory sighed and bent down so she was eye level with the pup.

"Are you ok?" She asked. The pups eyes started to water and ivory sighed. She pulled her braid over her shoulder and picked a long golden feather from her hair.

"Here, this is a eagle feather, it took me a long time to find one this big. It is said that eagles heal and are a sign of strength. With this there is no reason to be scared of me." She said placing the golden feather in the girls hand. The girl looked at it for a second and held it back up to Ivory.

"Can you put in like how yours are?" The girl asked.

"Sure." Ivory smiled taking the feather and placing it in the girls hair. She smiled and stood up.

"Be more carefull next time ok?"

"I will." The pup said running over to its friends. Ivory took a deep breath and looked at me.

"Lets not keep my dad waiting any longer." I said heading to the office.

Once away from most of the wolves Ivory relaxed With a sigh.

"You did well." I said. She looked over at me.

"When I'm around humans they would always come and talk to me and children always liked me, but wolves seem so scared of me. Plus I didn't want to see a child cry just for running into me."

"I know that in a hour or two everyone is going to hear about that they will probably see you differently." I said stopping on front of my dad's office. Like always be for I could knock his voice came through the door telling us to come in.

My dad was sitting behind his desk With a own in his hand and papers layed out in front of him.

"How are you doing today Ivory?" He asked.

"Fine, thank you." Ivory smiled at him .

"Good I have a few things to talk to you both about. Sit." He said pointing at the two chairs in front of his desk. We both day down as my dad open up a drawer. He pulled out two small cups and a knife. My eyes widen when he set them I front of us.

"What's this?" Ivory asked.

"We had a problem yesterday with talking with you so I thought of this. It's something we do when someone who isn't a wolf joins the pack. Usally we have that person drink the alphas blood but this time I want to do it a little differently." He said.

"What are you talking about?" I asked.

"I'm saying instead of Ivory being connected to the whole pack she can be connected to just you. It would make the job easier since you both are going to be working together." He said leaning back with a smile. He had something else planned.

"Connected how?" Ivory askes.

"Simply share thoughts and emotions." Ivory sat back in her chair and looked at the cup in front of her.

"Fine I'll do it." She said. My eyes widen as I looked at her.

"Good." My dad said standing up. He handed a cup and took the knife and sliced her palm. Blood dropped into the cup as he handed the knife to me. I sighed and did the same. My dad took the two cups and switched them.

"Go for it." He said. Ivory took a deep breath and drank it in one go. I did the same and we all day there in silence.

"Now what?"

"It will take a few hours but you will start to feel a connection soon. Mean while I have your first job." My dad smiled.

"Where at?" I asked.

"Arizona. I got a call a few hours ago from a friend there. He said people where being killed and left out in busy areas."

"There is a local pack there why aren't they helping."

"Most of his pack live human lives, they don't want to risk being found out that they are wolves. So they asked me if I could send someone."

"I see thays fine."

"Good I sent all the things you need to know to your email and I've already talked with the two investigators you are going to be working with and told them where you will be meeting them."

"good we will head home and pack." I said standing.

"Good luck call me if anything happens." My dad said as we left.

"Are you feeling good enough to go?" I asked once we where far enough away.

"I'm fine, plus I heal pretty fast." She said lifting her hand to show the healing cut healing on her palm. She flashed me a smile as we made our way out of the house.

<☆>

We landed in Phoenix a few hours later. While on the flight over I stared to feel Zack's mind. What he was thinking and how he felt. He kept silent the whole way here but finally once off the plane he turned to me.

"What's wrong? He asked.

"I'm not a big fan of Arizona. My family live not to far from her and I haven't seen them since I moved out a few years ago. I suprised then when I told them I was moving back to Montana. They thought I would stay here and marry they're friends son. It probably shocked them when they found out I left without telling them."

"I can't see you agreeing to getting married to a friend's son." Zack laughed as he walked over to a car waiting for us. We both got in and headed to where we where to meet the investigator.

"I agree even though we where close I could never see him in a romantic way. He was my best friend though my last two years of highschool and my parents thought we where in love. They tried to push is together tell the end." I shook my head.

"Have you talked with your parents?"

"A few times. They would call me and ask me to come home for the holidays. I always tell them I'm busy with work. My little sister is usally the one to call, I feel bad when I talk with her."

"Don't worry about it." Zack said as we pulled up in front of a large hotel.

"Why are we here?"I asked.

"We are meeting in a conference room here." He said as he stoped the car in front of the hotel. We both got out and Zack handed the keys to the man standing by the door. He gave Zack a recite and we walked inside. Zack lead me through the hotel until we came to a door. Inside I could hear to people talking to eachother. One was drumming they're fingers agaisnt the table.

"Ready?" Zack asked behind me. I rolled my eyes and opened the door. Sitting at the able was a man who looked to be in his mid 20s and a woman who looked to me in her late 20s. Both where dressed in suits though the man looked like his was a little to tight.

"You must be the wolves?" The woman said.

"No just wolf." I said smiling at her.

"I heard that they where sending us someone wolves." She said.

"No I'm sorry to dissapoint you he is the only wolf here." I said pointing at Zack behind me.

"So if your not a wolf then what are you? " the man asked.

"I'm just have some slight powers. Nothing like being a wolf. I'm Ivory by the way and the wolf is Zack."

"I'm Beca and my partner here is Kyle."

"Are you really a wolf?" Kyle asked looking at Zack.

"Sorry about him he is knew and just learned about wolves a few weeks ago."

"It's fine." Zack said nudging me into the room so he could close the door.

"So tell me why we are here." I said sitting at the table.

"Four murders have happened in the past two weeks. Each ones throat had been ripped out and left for everyone to see." They slid over a folder and I just handed it to Zack. He was silent while he looked through the pictures.

"They are wolf kills but I don't understand why they just left them." Zack said after a second.

"We don't either, and we are trying like hell to find out." Beca said glaring at the folder.

"Where did they happen?" I asked.

"At the park. It's always crowded with people and it is kept nice. Why?"

"Have you ever thought that maybe it's trying to impress someone?" I asked.

"What do you mean?" Kyle asked.

"In the wild a wolf would kill something, like a deer, to show that it can provide for a female. Killing a human shows that it is strong, to kill of the top hunter out there. I think the wolf is trying to impress a female."

"That would mean it's going rouge." Zack said.

"Possibly." I said leaning back.

"If your not a wolf then how would you know that."

"It's not something a werewolf would do but a rouge or a real wolf. I know more about the wild than a werewolf would."

"I see." Beca said looking confused.

"Is there anything else you need today?" Zack asked standing up.

"Not today. If something happens we will give you a call."

"Buoy don't mind if I go to the park and look around do you?" I asked.

"Be my guess. Maybe you will be able to find something we missed." Beca said with a smile.

"Ok I'll go take a look tonight." I said.

"Keep the file. My number is in there if you find anything give me a call." Beds said.

"Will do." I said and they quickly left.

"What are you going to do?" Zack asked looking down at me.

"Nothing." I smiled.

"Come on let's go eat." He laughed as we left the room.