Miss Lonely

The Suburbs

He found a phone booth from where he called his brother, Eugene. Auden had been kicked out from his own apartment, and spent the nights at his brothers’ house in the suburbs. He hated it, but didn’t have much choice. The train ride to Eugene’s house was miserable. Auden usually enjoyed the train rides, as he was fond of the thought of being incognito in the extensive crowd of people. When arriving to the station, Auden made his way out of the train and out where the morning sun was ruling. It was late November, and the autumn leaves from the sporadic trees were taking their place on the empty suburbian sidewalks. A vague mist had fallen upon the suburbian Mekka that Auden found himself in, and it created a gloomy haze for the sunbeams of the morning sun to penetrate. Auden prefered night over day. In the night all cats were grey, and the anonymity made Auden feel safe. He never liked the spotlight of the sun, anyway. He arrived to the house of his brother’s, Eugene. It was a fairly big house, without being flashy. Flashiness wasn’t in the family blood. Yet, Eugene had always been the more succesful of the two brothers, and had earned the respect from their conservative parents. They grew up relatively safely in a house similar to the one Eugene had bought from the fortune made from his hard work. He was an accountant, and worked two-hundred hours per day on average. He had no wife or kids though, and Auden suspected him of being terribly lonely, but never had the courage to ask. Auden had barely gotten through the entrance, as Eugene popped up with a worried expression on his face. 

— “Auden.” Eugene said faintly.
— “Brother?” Auden replied without making eye contact. He knew what was going to happen.
— “You need to move. I’ve been seeing someone, she’s moving in next week. Sorry.” Eugene said, still looking worried.

The rest of the conversation took place in the same conflict-averse tone that the family of theirs were notorious for. Auden hated it, and got really angry - however, he kept the anger on the inside. He packed his stuff. It didn’t take much time as he didn’t have much clothes or anything in general. He had an old acoustic guitar in an old battered case, which he would carry with him everywhere he went. He wasn’t particularly good at playing it, but he liked carrying it with him and play it on the lonesome mornings of misery. It was his partner in crime, his lover in the nights of despair. He took the guitar and the modest bag of his, and left the house. After walking a couple of hundred metres down the grey pavement, he stopped and looked back at the mediocre house of Eugene’s. He realised that he had nowhere to go.