Miss Lonely

The Sea

Auden went to Rami’s and knocked two times on his white, wooden door. The white, wooden door was opened, and behind it stood a girl. She wore loose trousers and a casual black t-shirt.

— “Uhm, hi … Does Rami live here?” Auden asked despairingly.
— “Yes he does, and you must be Auden?” The girls facial expression changed from not-existing to lively and cheerful, as if she forgot to feel something at first.
— “You assume correctly.” Auden said and bowed gently. He had no idea of why he did it, and realised how awkward a gesture it was. He got angry at himself. He never liked making first impressions or communicating with strangers in general. Despite that, he liked strangers, as he found them alluring and exciting.
— “Come in. Rami has made the couch for you, you’re free to stay here until you get your things sorted out.” She said while walking towards the couch. “He’s not home right now, but he’ll be back later today.”
— “Thank you for the hospitality. I had no idea that Rami was in a relationship. I guess we drifted apart. Haven’t spoken to him for ages, sadly.”
— “Oh, I’m not exactly with Rami, per se.” She replied determinedly, and continued:
— “Neither Rami or I are great fans of the commitment included in a traditional relationship. We’re just fooling around, to be honest.”
— “Oh, sorry.” Auden replied, avoiding eye contact. “Sorry, I didn’t catch your name?” Auden saved the silent break.
— “I’m Dorinda.” She said keeping her eyes locked onto Auden’s evasive look.
— “Oh, alright. Pretty name.” Auden said, nervously looking up to meet the steel eyes of her’s. He thought of something to say, but his mind weren’t cooperating. He wanted to. She seemed awfully nice, and she seemed to have a genuine interest in him. Normally, Auden didn’t have that much trouble conversating with girls, but at that particular moment his mind jammed. Auden usually didn’t mind the silent breaks. He thought of it as a shallow phenomenon when certain people would have an insaturable need of constantly keeping a conversation alive. He would rather say nothing than speak shallowly. He even went as far as thinking that the silent breaks were beautiful, poetic in their own way. They would go to show that the connection between the two conversating parts was carried by more than empty, meaningless words. This particular break, however, was awkward. Auden unpacked his guitar, and started playing an old blues song that he learned some years back. Dorinda was a fan from the beginning. 

— “Oh, that sounds like T-Bone Walker!” She said excitedly. Auden kept playing to avoid another awkward silence, and looked up upon her and smiled gratefully instead of answering. He looked out the window, where it had started raining. The rain hammered against the thin windows, and Auden was waiting for them to crack at any moment. They didn’t, though. The rain smashed onto the pavements outside, splashing water onto the buildings and passing people. Auden stopped playing the guitar and looked out the window. The apartment was located on the third floor. Auden always enjoyed apartment views like that one, and the freedom of being able to namelessly observe the passing strangers on the street, making up a story for each one. He knew people before meeting them, as he knew Magnolia and was drawn to her, even before speaking to her. She was mysterious, affectionate and majestic all at once. A majestic silhouette wandering through the night leaving no footprints or shadows. What a girl she was, Magnolia.

Dorinda worked as a bartender in a local club and had to leave for night time working. She left around eight in the evening. It was still raining. Auden had placed a chair in front of the window, from where he would sit and play the blues while looking at the heavy rain. He tried playing on beat with the rain - the guitar fell in sync. His look returned to the streets, that slowly mutated into small rivers with leafs and garbage cruising in it. It moved his thoughts to the coast where he had grown up. He found comfort in the big blue sea. When he was a child, the sea was the biggest thing he had ever seen, and still was to that date. The monumental size and power of the yet so peaceful ocean filled him with equanimity. Alone by the sea, nobody would touch him. 

He went and found Rami’s record collection, and found the Dylan classic “Highway 61 Revisited”. He placed it carefully on the turntable, and let the needle fall into the groove hearing the slight crackling of the outer grooves. They always reminded him of a subtle fire. The first song of side A was “Like a rolling stone”, and it thundered out through the small third story apartment in Copper Village.

How does it feel, how does it feel?
To be on your own, with no direction home
Like a complete unknown, like a rolling stone

Having spent a few hours in the apartment alone, absorbing the music collection of Rami’s, Auden decided to go out. Rami hadn’t returned yet, and Auden got bored in the third story apartment. He went down the stairs where he met an elderly man carrying a siamese cat on his shoulders. The man was going upwards, and didn’t spare Auden a single look. The man wore fine and formal, yet old and dirty clothes. As if he went out to a posh party thirty-something years ago, and had just returned. The man made an impact on Auden, who stopped on the stairs for a while after the man was gone. He felt as if he could write a poet, a novel or a song about the man. He tried writing songs with his guitar once, but he disliked his own voice in such a matter that he couldn’t bare the sound of it. He entered the cold and wet streets, where it had stopped raining. His thinking of the ocean made him see and smell the ocean everywhere. The city was nothing but a big, blue ocean, wherein he would drift around and try not to drown. He found some driftwood to hold onto, being in the shape of a bar, where he would take rest from the magnificent sea. The bar was dark and gloomy, and there were raindrops on the windows. He ordered a drink to clear the taste of seawater. And another one after that. Now, the purpose of ordering drinks became to erase the taste of the previous one. And so it began.