‹ Prequel: Sid's Surprise

August in Pittsburgh

August in Pittsburgh

August in Pittsburgh, he hadn’t been here this early in years. Then again, never was there a better reason. It had taken them nearly 2 years to get the time, place and nothing else in the way; to get here since that wonderful night at home. Sidney had completely rearranged his usual off season ramp up to be where he needed to be, when he needed to be there. He was more than grateful that all the guys he normally trained with in August were willing to move for this event.

He was walking through the reception venue when his phone went off. “Hello?”

“Hello, is this the wedding who was waiting for confirmation of their late night drink?” Sid was confused as to why they were calling him and not the coordinator.

“Um… I think we’re still waiting for that yeah. Can… can I ask why you are calling me and not the wedding coordinator?” Sid stopped on the dance floor.

He heard the rustling of papers. “Um, the coordinator told me to call this number. She said something about a surprise…” That info caught Sid up. Jazz knew they were having milkshakes but not from where.

“Oh! Ok, now I’m up to speed. What’s the news?” He crossed the fingers on his right hand, hoping that it would be good news.

“Well, my boss was at first concerned about this idea. Until, that is, he saw the names on the order. Um… here he would like to speak with you.” The phone was passed over to someone else.

“Is this the groom?” The male voice said.

Sid laughed. “Yeah, it’s me. Are we going to make this happen?” He hoped this would work, it would be perfect if it did.

“I have to tell you Mr. Crosby the Health Department wasn’t at first thrilled with the idea. Then they looked further into the idea and approved it. Our crew should be there soon to set up.” Sidney celebrated. He’d been hoping to kind of recreate their first meeting on the best day of their lives. He’d even made sure that most of the team was at least in town for a couple days if not back for good.

The Wedding coordinator came over when she saw him celebrating. “We’ll be waiting. Thank you _so_ much for this. We met in your shop, it only feels right to have you guys here today.” Sid swooped the coordinator up and spun her around after he hung up. “Milkshake Factory will be here. The Five Guys stuff is going to be delivered right?” She laughed and nodded. “Best late night surprise ever!” Sid nearly skipped out of the reception venue up to his room to get ready.

Of course the guys were all there waiting for him when he got back. Flower complained loudly as he came through the door. “There you are! You’re lucky I like you, having me come back so early…”

Sid chuckled and smacked Flower’s ankle. “You were coming back early anyhow, someone’s starting school this year.” The goalie just smiled.

“Maybe that is true but we were going to wait another week.” Sid rolled his eyes, knowing that was he said wasn’t true. “So,” Flower said completely changing the subject, “What did you get for her gift?” He sat forward on the chair as if he was actually interested in what Sid had gotten Jazz.

Sid flushed. “Actually we jointly decided to give each other several gifts over the course of the day.” Flower leaned further in while Jack came over to listen. “I found a great keepsake box for her first one, a wine preserver bottle for the bottle she’s currently drinking, a matching set of ceramic ring dishes and then there are these.” He pulled out a small bag and tipped it out into his hand. On the coin type objects were stamped different things they could be cashed in for.

Jack gagged as only he could and Flower just shook his head. “You are so very lucky that I love you, because this would make me look _so_ bad.” Sid couldn’t help but giggle.

Just then Troy came in the room. “There you are, we’ve been looking for you.” Sid grinned at his dad. “Your mom and Taylor are over with Jazz and her entourage.” He sat down on one of the couches and put his feet up. “Did you do any training today?”

Flower rolled his eyes and Jack softly snorted. Sid expected their reactions though, having known them forever. “Actually dad, I took today and tomorrow off from training. We decided for time and sanity to take a full honeymoon next summer. In a couple days we’ll go to Vail for the last push.” He had discussed this with Jazz while planning and they had truly decided to wait to have more than a couple days to themselves.

Colby came into the room then. “Special delivery for Creature.” It was Sid’s turn to roll his eyes. “I got threatened with bodily harm if you didn’t get this promptly at 11:30.” He set a gift on the table. “I also got reminded that you needed to have yours to her too.”

Sid sighed. “I know, I just don’t know who to send it with.”

Taylor must have heard the conversation as she be-bopped in grinning. “You send it with me, duh.” She shoved Sid over and sat down. “Now open it so I can take yours back on time.” With his sister urging him on Sid opened the gift from his lady love.

Inside was a Wine Cork Shadow Box. Etched on the glass front were the words ‘This home runs on Love, Laughter and really good Wine’. There was a note inside the glass. Sid carefully figured out how to open the back and got it out. It said simply: I can’t wait to fill this with you.

Sid flushed and smiled. Flower cackled. “Oh does she know you!” Sid shoved at his long time friend.

He got up and went to find his gift for Jazz. Thinking briefly he decided to change his mind on what order he was going to send things. He’d send the Wine Preserver Bottle first. Coming back out he gave it to Taylor. “Be careful, it’s glass.”

Taylor giggled. “See you in an hour bro.” She then waltzed out of the room, gift in hand.

Jack swung an arm over Sid’s shoulder. “We have told you how much we like her right? Cause if we haven’t, we need to correct this.” All of them, including Duper who was going to be giving Jazz away, joined in then by telling Sid just how loved his very soon to be wife really was by those who mattered most to him.

Two more gift exchanges, Lunch and a drive to Saints John and Paul Catholic Church later, Sid was waiting for the first look they had planned. He knew that Jazz was the one, but until he got the gifts he didn’t know how well she truly knew not only him but them as a couple. She had sent him a travel catch tray, he sent back the ceramic jewelry dishes. She had then sent him a key chain that made him nearly fall off the chair he had sat in to open it. “I will love you forever, or until the Zombies eat your face.” He sent back the keepsake box in which he had put a handful of letters to remind her, because he was positive he would forget to say something at least a few times, just how much he truly loved her.

--------------------------------

“Don’t move yet.” He heard Jazz say as she came up behind him. There was more swishing of fabric and then she spoke. “Ok, now.”

Sid turned around and felt his jaw drop. “Oh.” She was astonishing. She had her hair up for once, normally she wore it down. He wasn’t sure where next to look. She had stunned him for sure. “Wow.” He whispered not trusting himself not to break the simple serenity around them. She twirled and his heart flipped.

“You really like it?” He nodded dumbfounded. “I know you don’t care who it’s from but it’s a Suzanne Neville called Cherish. I just,” She couldn’t find the words.

Sid stepped towards her, wanting to be close and yet not wanting to smudge her just yet. “I don’t care who it is, you look…” In true Sidney fashion he got awkward. “Here,” He handed her the last gift before they were man and wife.

She took it and giggled when she saw what was inside. “Great minds really do think alike.” She handed him hers. Upon opening it he grinned, they had both gotten the love tokens he’d found.

He stumbled for a moment over what he wanted to say. “I just… I know I can get intense and hard to live with sometimes. I thought, well, that they could help you remind me that I’m not only a hockey player. I’m more than just that now.” He had taken her hands in his. “I think I’ll need that, reminders that is.”

Jazz chuckled warmly. “That’s exactly why I got them too. To remind you that sometimes I will need more than just the Captain to live with. I need the softer side too.” She had put a hand to his cheek. “We can discuss how best to use these _after_ we’re married. I see your dad and Pascal coming over to break us apart.”

Sid stepped back and half turned, sure enough there were his dad and Duper. “Don’t break her Duper.” He said with no real malice behind the words. He knew how his surrogate and blood family felt about Jazz, they loved her. Too bad he wasn’t quite sure of her side, after all who doesn’t come to their niece's/cousin’s wedding?

Gently they left each other for the few final minutes as single people. Sidney soon stood with Father McCaffrey waiting to go out. He was fidgeting with his fingers. “Nervous?” The Reverend asked with a knowing chuckle in his voice.

“Like it was a game seven with the Cup on the line.” Sid replied, automatically going with a reference he knew too well.

Father Joe nodded. “I can understand that, marriage is only done once with the right person.”

Sidney giggle honked. “Oh she’s the right person, I’m sure about that. Nothing quite like asking your friends if they like your girlfriend and having them smack you around and tell you to just propose already.” He smiled remembering how both Flower and Tanger had told him to get over his worry.

At 2:55 Sid and the priest walked into the sanctuary and he got his first look at every there. It seemed that everyone who he’d played with in the past few years had come back for this, some of them hadn’t even known Jazz. He spotted Cookie and Michelle, Talbo and Cynthia, Nealer and his girl. Oh wow he spotted Ray Shero too, someone he hadn’t expected.

Then the processionals began. Sid focussed his attention on those coming down the aisle. He hadn’t remembered that they had chosen Moonrise by Brian Crain for this until it started. He still was certain it was right as he watched his parents come down the aisle together, followed by Jazz’s mom, Julia. Then came the trouble trio of Alexander Letang, Lola Dupuis and Estelle Fleury, they were the ring/flower gang. Sid was glad he had made sure they were there, they were like his nieces and nephew.

As the piece progressed Melinda and Armdog started down the aisle. Then were Keira and Flower and finally Sasha and Jack. Both Keira and Sasha were long time friends of Jazz’s while Melinda was someone she had met here. Sid was kind of floating on the music until it ended.

The next peice he straightened himself up for. Autumn Moon began playing and Sid watched with fascination as Jazz, on Duper’s arm came down the aisle. She was smiling at him and not the fake smile she had perfected by being a WAG but a real smile, one only he saw. He felt a hand on his arm and heard Jack in his ear. “Slow down there Romeo. She’s coming to you.”

He took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. It was just nerves, he could control this. Then she was there, and Duper was handing her off carefully. Pascal leaned in and not at all whispered. “You hurt her, I break you.” To which everyone chuckled.

Sid tried to pay close attention during the ceremony but he kept getting distracted by a single thought. She’s all mine now. Not to the point that he wasn’t able to repeat after Father Joe but still, he was distracted.

In what felt like no time at all, they were pronounced man and wife and got to share their first wedded kiss. Of course the peanut gallery had to make noise but it was almost music to Sid’s ears, having all of his friends here. Ludovico Einaudi’s I Giorni began playing and they were walking back down the aisle.

Once in the sacristy Sid sighed, the hard part was over. Now they could have some well deserved fun. They and the witnesses signed the marriage license and then they were whisked away to take pictures, oh so many pictures.

Once at the William Penn Ballroom in The Omni things got better. They were able to relax and enjoy being with their friends. Trina managed to corner Sid after they had been in for a little while. She wiped away happy tears as she hugged him tightly. “I’m so happy for you Sidney. Jazz is a wonderful addition to the family and I can’t tell you how happy it makes me to see that you found someone who doesn’t care what your job is or who you are to everyone else. She only sees you for you and that’s so precious.”

Sid felt a hand on his back and turned to find his new wife standing there, having overheard. “Thank you Trina, you don’t know how welcoming that is.” She was dabbing her own face too. Not because she didn’t know how Sid’s family felt about her, but because it was so touching.

Julia was soon behind Jazz as well. “I hope I can add my own happiness into this conversation.” She kissed Jazz’s cheek. “You followed your dream and look where it’s led you. I’m so happy for you baby girl, Sid is a really lucky guy to have you.”

He could feel himself blushing. “Oh I know I am. The guys remind me every time they see her.” He casually put a hand on Jazz’s waist. “Excuse me, I see someone I need to talk to.” He gave each of them a quick kiss and moved on.

Behind him the ladies chatted about the decor, but he was now focused on the person in front of him. “You came!” He said joyously.

“Da, I say I come Sid. Can’t miss this.” Evgeni Malkin was fondly smiling at his friend and Captain. “Why you not believe me?”

Sid rolled his eyes. “Oh please last week you were complaining via text that it was too early to come back even for this.” Flower came over, handed Sid a beer and bro hugged Geno. “Beside, can not let bad goalie have all the fun.”

Over the next hour Sid and Jazz drifted around talking to everyone both together and separately. The DJ was playing some good music but not too loud, you could still talk over it. They were finally getting a chance to sit when the DJ spoke over the microphone. “Ladies and Gentlemen, if you would take your seats dinner is about to be served.”

Dinner was excellent. He and Jazz had an enjoyable time sitting at the Sweetheart’s table. They kept exchanging tokens and kisses, not to mention all the gang kept tapping their glasses. They did get to eat fortunately, even if he kept eyeing the cheesecake on the dessert table.

Soon enough they were having their first dance, during which there was more heckling than Sid would have liked. He could dance, he just chose most of the time not to. Though it helped that they had taken lessons for this dance. “Ignore them, I love that you took lessons with me for this.” Jazz whispered as they ended. They had elected to not have individual dances with their folks, but instead invite all of the parents and kids to dance together. Sid made sure to have their photographer get some great shots of as many daddy/daughter or mom/son pairs as they could.

Then it was time to cut the cake. It was only 3 tiers, but with the dessert table who cared. They moved over to the blush and gold cake. Sid swiped a lick of the buttercream before Jazz could stop him. “Yum.” Jazz pushed at him playfully.

They positioned themselves and together cut the cake. Then as they were about to feed each other, Talbo shouted out. “Mash it in his face!” They both paused before either of them got a bite. He clearly was not going to mash the cake in her face as he was carefully holding it so she could take a bite. Her posture wasn’t as sure. She took a bite and then clearly offer him the piece in her hand. The chocolate mousse melted on his tongue as the vanilla/chocolate swirl cake melded with it easily. Moist and delicious.

Soon enough everyone was enjoying dessert. Sid was eyeing the time, his surprise was running late. Then the DJ came on the mic. “Ladies and Gentlemen, the groom has a surprise for his new wife as a tribute to how they met. Please put your hands together and welcome The Milkshake Factory!”

Sid heard Jazz gasp in surprise. She smacked him. “You _did_ remember!” He grinned. She leaned in and gave him a huge kiss. “I love you for this!” She was first in line for the shakes. They had limited the flavors they were offering simply so they could do this easily, not that it mattered. Nearly everyone was soon in line for a shake.

Olli came up to him, “You had to remind her.” The defenseman shook his head. “We told you how bad we felt about doing that to her.”

Sid smiled. “I know, it’s more of a reminder for her. Don’t read more into than there is.” The desserts were being served now and Sid was hard pressed not to chuck Olli to the wolves and grab a slice of cheesecake. His discipline was stronger than that though. “This was her idea after I proposed. In all the prep she forgot, but I didn’t. A way honor how we met and have it be a sweet reminder.”

Olli pushed him lightly. “Sap.” Sid grinned at him unashamed. “Seriously, you two are awesome. I’m glad you found someone who makes you happy.” With a slap on the back he departed giving Sid a chance to duck over to the dessert table. There were cookies, cupcakes, fruit tarts and of course the cheesecake.

When he got back to the table he found Jazz was back and there were real slices of their wedding cake to be had as well. He groaned a little. “How am I going to work all of this off?” She just seductively chuckled, which sent a thrill up his spine. Someone had evil plans, he was sure of it.

They did end up dancing a little and saying goodnight to everyone who left between 9 and 10, mostly those with kids or early mornings. More left between 10 and 11, the single crowd who wanted to hit up the bar scene mostly. That left just a handful of people to enjoy Sid’s final reminder to his lady.

It had been the first date she had insisted on planning herself, a bet that she could give them a night out where they wouldn’t be bothered. Dinner had been at Five Guys Burgers and Fries and true to her word, they were not bothered. A miracle for the second most famous person living in Pittsburgh. He never did figure out how she did it either, she wouldn’t tell him when he asked. He did manage to get out of her that she “knew some people who knew some people” but never any names.

At 10:45 there was a delivery to the ballroom. It was from Five Guys and completely shocked everyone left, well everyone but Sid. He stood and quickly explained. “The first date that Jazz planned for us was there. It was a reminder that I could be semi-normal if we worked at it and completely surprised me. She does that a lot, surprise me. I wanted to show her how much I know I’m blessed for having her in my life, in my mind there was no better way than to surprise her today.” The meager but hearfelt applause made him flush.

At midnight they finally wrapped everything up and went up to their suite. It had been a long and wonderful day. Sid quickly came to hate all the little buttons on Jazz’s dress as they took off their finery. “Why all the little impossible buttons?” He said through gritted teeth.

Jazz chuckled warmly and finally drew off the offending buttoned garment. “Because it heightens anticipation.” She turned and let the dress drop, along with Sid’s jaw. While they were careful to hang up the dress and his suit, it was done mostly haphazardly.

After she exhausted him, and worked off the cheesecake, Jazz put her head on his chest. “This was the best day ever.”

Sid looked down at his bride. “Better than my day with The Cup?” He asked.

She nodded. “I didn’t have to share you with everyone in the world, just the people who love us. Those surprises, those blew me away too. Keep doing that.”

He felt sleep pulling at him. Lazily he replied. “Whatever you say, Mrs. Crosby.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This took me FOREVER to write, I blame all the babies in the other stories I'm working on.

HERE is the Pinterest board for this one. It's got the dress, where and the girts exchanged as well as other stuff to fill things in (guys don't care about decor really but girls do).

As always let me know what you all think. Thank you for reading!