‹ Prequel: Chasing Cars

Around Our Heads

Twenty-Five

When we finally left the house, we all piled into the limo that Diane insisted was the only thing that would keep my dress safe. And then we headed to the church. I always wanted an outdoor wedding, but it was too cold. And since Chris and I weren’t religious, and Diane and Gazarra were Jewish, we just ended up booking a meeting hall. Even though Helen had initially been pretty pushy about us getting married in a church.

We parked out front and then headed inside. Everyone was already there waiting for us, and I could hear people talking. But I was led into a side room to wait instead. We did the rehearsal the night before, so we already had it planned out. We mostly checked each other to ensure our dresses weren’t wrinkled, the headband was on right, and the kids weren’t covered in dirt or candy.

When it was time to go, we all got in formation. Helen and Diane left with Iris and sent Gazarra back so he could walk with me. We weren’t doing the traditional “giving away” bit. Just walking. I was still kind of nervous about Zig being there since he hadn’t met Gazarra yet, and I didn’t want him to take it the wrong way. But I warned him in advance anyway.

“Wow, Marley. You look beautiful,” Gazarra said as he located me. I smiled.

“Thanks,” I replied. “And thanks for being here. And all the help you guys have done. It means a lot to me.”

“It means the world to me, I promise. Are you ready to go? You don’t look nervous at all.”

“I’m only nervous about making an ass of myself or ruining my makeup. I’m good with everything else.” He laughed and stretched his arm out for me to take.

Then we waited quietly for Chris and Helen to settle in at the front of the church. And then the bridesmaids and groomsmen started going, which left us alone with Avery and Lex. I motioned them forward when it was their turn, and they disappeared around the corner. Then the music changed, and I actually started to feel kind of nervous. Not about the marriage part. Just being in front of everyone. But Gazarra led me from the room. Since I was coming from the left, I saw Chris’s side of the church first. It was packed to capacity. He had a large family, lots of friends, a whole team and crew, and even friends from other teams he’d met.

I took a deep breath, but when I saw my side of the church come into view, it was just as full. For a moment, I was startled but pretended not to notice, and Gazarra kept leading me down the aisle anyway.

There were a lot of people I didn’t recognize on my side. I figured they were Gazarra’s family. He told me he had a crap ton of them, but I hadn’t met them since they all lived pretty far away. But every once in a while, I caught a flash of green eyes that looked just like mine, and people were smiling at me. When I got closer to the front, I spotted Zig, his wife, and Jasmine. But next to him were Brian and Luna. She even brought her little boy, and my mom was sitting between them. She gave me a weak smile, and I returned it. But really, I wanted to burst into tears. I held it back and chose to focus on the man I’d chosen to spend my life with.

Chris sent me a crooked smile when I turned my eyes on him. He looked so handsome I could swoon, even though I’d been with him for years. He’d shaved his beard, but his hair was slicked back, and I couldn’t figure out how I’d gotten so lucky. He was originally just some guy who only wanted me for sex and movies, and he was about to become my husband. It was surreal to me, and I couldn’t wait to reach him.

When we reached the front, Gazarra gave my hand to Chris, and then he leaned in to kiss me on the cheek.

“I’ve been waiting a long time to do that,” he whispered. I smiled.

“Thank you,” I told him. He let me go, and I turned back to Chris. He took both of my hands in his and smiled at me.

“I love you, Marley,” he said.

“I love you too.”

“Will you marry me?”

“Duh.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Super cheesey.