‹ Prequel: Chasing Cars

Around Our Heads

Twenty-Six

Later on, when we were at the reception, Chris and I were told we had to have our first dance as husband and wife. I hated dancing, which was one thing I was really nervous about. But Chris promised me it was just a slow dance, and once we got it out of the way, we wouldn’t have to dance again. So we went out onto the dance floor, and he wrapped his arms around me. I squeezed him as close as I could, and he kissed my cheek.

“I’m happy we finally got married,” I told him.

“Me too, babe,” he replied.

“I love you so much.”

“I love you too.”

“Can I ask you a question?”

“Anything.”

“Are we having a boy or a girl?” He laughed.

“I knew you were going to ask me that.”

“I know. I’m predictable.”

“Do you really want to know?” he questioned.

“Yes, please tell me?” I decided.

“Are you sure?”

“Mmm—yes.”

“We’re having…,” he paused for dramatic effect. I pinched my eyes shut excitedly. “A boy.”

“A boy?”

“A boy.”

“Oh my god, a boy!” And then I was so excited that I jumped up and down and squeezed him tightly. “I’m so happy!”

“Me too! I’m ecstatic!”

“This is the best day of my life! Well, one of them.”

“Definitely a tie between this and Avery’s birthday.”

“I agree. Those are my favorites too. But this one is much less painful.”

“And also that night we played naughty secretary,” he whispered even though no one could hear us anyway. I laughed.

“That’s on my list, too,” I said.

“It was amazing.”

“Later tonight, we can play naughty wife.”

“Even better.” I smiled up at him and put my hand on his cheek.

“I love you, Chris.”

“I love you too. Thank you for putting up with me for so long and for bringing Avery into my life. And for loving me. And for saying yes and for being here. And for being my wife.” I smiled.

“The pleasure is all mine, I promise.”

“After naughty wife tonight, the pleasure will be all mine.”

“It better be equal, or we’ll be playing unsatisfied and angry wife.”

“I never want to play unsatisfied wife.” I laughed, and he kissed my nose. Then, when the song ended, he took my hand. “I love you, Marley Mclean,” he said. It still sounded silly and weird to me, but I smiled anyway.

“I love you too, Chris Mclean.” He kissed me again, and then they announced a father-daughter dance. Chris noticed my moment of panic and shook his head.

“Don’t worry. It’s another slow dance.”

“Oh, thank God.”

Gazarra came out and took his place. Chris kissed my fingers before stepping away and leaving us alone on the dance floor, but he just went to go find Avery so they could dance too. Gazarra wrapped his arm around me and took my hand to lead me into a proper dance. Then I smiled.

“Thank you for being here,” I told him. He smiled back.

“Thank you for asking me to be here,” he replied.

“I’m sorry about what my mom did to you. I’m sorry I screamed at you when you tried to find me. I’m sorry that I didn’t look for you sooner.”

“Don’t worry about it. I get to be here now. I get to know my grandchildren and my daughter. And I got to walk you down the aisle. I am fulfilled. I promised.”

“Me too. Have you talked to my mom yet?”

“No, I haven’t. But I’ve been getting a lot of glares from your sister.” I laughed.

“She’s always been protective of my mom. To be honest, I’m kind of surprised they even bothered to come.”

“They came because they love you. There isn’t a single person here tonight who doesn’t love you, Chris, or both.” I watched Chris come back out onto the dancefloor. But he had Avery in his arms. He set her down on the floor and helped her put her feet on his so he could dance with her. Gazarra and I both watched.

“I’m glad you’re here,” I said after a moment.

“There’s nowhere else I’d rather be.”

“I wish you could have been around when I was growing up.”

“Me too, but there’s nothing we can do about that.”

“If it’s any consolation, I still can’t ride a bike. You can teach me if you’d like.” He laughed.

“I would love to teach you how to ride a bike,” he said. “But we might want to wait a few months. Just in case you fall and hurt yourself.”

“Good idea. By the way, Chris said we’re having a boy,” I told him.

“A boy? That’s great. Congratulations. I can’t wait to meet him.”

“Me too. I’m glad that you at least get to know my kids.”

“Me too.”

When we finished with all of the required cliché dances, we returned to the tables, so the party could get started and other people could dance or finish up dinner. But after a while, I decided it was time to go talk to my mom.

“Chris, I’m going to talk to my mom. Do you want to come with me?” I asked him as we were sitting and watching other people dance.

“Sure, do you want to bring Avery?” he asked.

“Yeah, let’s bring her.”

She was sitting next to Chris’s sister, who was cleaning cake off her face. Since she was done, Chris scooped her up into his arms, and I led them over to where my mom was sitting with my brothers, sister, and nephew. She stood up when we approached, and I immediately wrapped my arms around her. I hugged her tighter than ever before, and neither of us let go for a long time. I think we both needed it.

“Thank you for being here,” I said as I tried to stop myself from crying.

“I had to come,” she said. “After everything I put you through. I don’t know how I can ever make it up to you.” I pulled away and took her hands in mine.

“I just wanted you to love me,” I said with a sniffle. Her jaw trembled.

“I always loved you, honey. I just didn’t know how to do it properly. I’m so sorry.” I shook my head and wiped my eyes.

“Just be a good grandma to my kids. That’s all I want.”

“I will. I’ll try my hardest to be the best grandma I can be.”

“This is Avery, by the way.” I gestured to where Chris was still standing beside me with Avery in his arms. “And you met Chris already.”

“Hi, Chris. Good to see you again.”

“You too. Thank you for being here. This means the world to her,” he said. She smiled and nodded even though there were tears in her eyes.

“Avery, baby. This is your grandma,” I told her. She didn’t really respond other than staring my mom down. But I think she was getting used to meeting new grandparents. While my mom was busy getting to know her, I turned toward the table to face the rest of my mom’s side of the family. “And thank you guys for being here.” Brian got up to hug me.

“Missed you, sis,” he said. “And your brat is adorable.” I laughed and wiped another tear away. Luna hugged me next.

“You look beautiful,” she said. “And Avery is beautiful too, and your husband is hot.” I laughed again. “And this is Derek.” She pulled the little boy closer to us.

“Hi, Derek. I’m glad to finally meet you. I’m the one who sends presents in the mail,” I said. He smiled at me but didn’t say anything. So I looked back at my mom. “Are you going to talk to him?” She pulled her fingers nervously, and her eyes got even waterier. She nodded anyway.

“Yeah, I should talk to him,” she told me. “I just don’t know what to say. It’s been twenty-eight years. He probably hates me.”

“He doesn’t hate you, Mom. He said he’s just happy that he got to be here.” She nodded again.

“I’ll talk to him.” I took her hand and squeezed it.

“Thank you for telling me the truth. I’m really happy that you’re all here together.”

“I saw you out there with Chris. You both look really happy.” I smiled.

“Yeah, we’re happy. I have some other people we have to say hi to, but I want to see you guys again before you leave, okay?”

“We’ll be here.” I stood back so Chris could say hello and meet everyone.

“It’s nice to finally meet you,” he said, shaking Luna and Brian’s hands. Zig smiled at me from where he was sitting.

“Thank you,” I told him.

“I didn’t do anything,” he replied. But I knew he was responsible, and I was grateful for it.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the cheesiest of stories omg.