‹ Prequel: Chasing Cars

Around Our Heads

Three

A few hours later, I was half zoned out on my computer. I had my elbow leaning against my desk, my mouth was opened just slightly, and I was busy reviewing a new comic Olivia’s team was working on. And that’s why I loved my job so much: I read comics a lot. The only downside was that I had to read the same comics 100+ times. But I snapped out of it when she popped up in front of me and leaned against my feeble cubicle walls.

“Close your mouth,” she said. I snapped it shut.

“What’s up?” I asked her.

“The boys are on their way over. Josh is bringing my lunch, and apparently, Chris is going to take you to yours.”

“Oh, okay. Good. I was just about finished up.” I sat up straight and cracked my back.

“I heard Avery interrupted your happy reunion last night.”

“Oh my god. Chris gossips more than anyone I’ve ever met.” She laughed.

“What do you expect? They’re stuck together half the year. Just be thankful Chris didn’t give everyone a vivid description of you giving birth.” I grimaced. “Yeah, so they’ll be here soon. I just wanted to warn you because I noticed you had your mouth open when I was walking by.”

“Chris wouldn’t care. He’s seen me give birth, remember?” She nodded to herself.

“Look at us over here chatting about childbirth and our men companions. We should do something fun. Something not related to jobs or kids. Like a girl’s night out thing.” I laughed again.

“Well, I was going to ask if you wanted to celebrate Avery’s birthday with us this weekend. We didn’t really get a chance to plan in advance.”

“Where are you guys doing it at?” she asked.

“That pizza place we always go to. By the police station,” I told her. “But we could always hang out afterward. Or on Sunday or something.”

“We can do that,” she agreed.

“So, how does Saturday at two sound?”

“Can do. I’ll bring my babies and gifts.”

“Sounds good.”

“I have to get back to work, but I’ll see you later.”

“Okay.” She left. I watched her trip over her feet and disappear into her office.

We, of the SF Giants Significant Others Club, liked to hang out sometimes. One of the wives of the other players started hanging out with us at games, and even though we were kind of big dorks and she wasn’t, she still liked to invite us out a lot. She drank martinis and wore high heels, but she was really nice and didn’t mind when we talked about comic books or nerd stuff. So the three of us hung out a lot when the guys were away or whenever she, Claudia, invited us out.

Chris and Claudia’s husband didn’t really get along the same way that he did with Josh and Vic. Still, they were teammates, so they were cool with hanging out and inviting us to barbecues or Claudia’s fancy dinners. Of us three couples, Chris and I were the only ones not married. But Olivia and I were the only ones who had kids, so we found a comfortable middle. Plus, it was common knowledge that Chris and I belonged together. So the absence of a ring never seemed to bother anyone. Just that Claudia liked to ask about it nearly as much as Chris’s good Catholic mom did.

Since Olivia had gone back to work, I decided to do the same. Though I was slightly more distracted because now I was thinking about Chris’s latest proposition for me. I had long gotten over my previous doubts and fears. I wasn’t afraid of passing along any shitty DNA because I came out alright, and Avery was awesome. Chris was also really awesome, and I was happy to be with him, even though I still hated the situation surrounding my conception. So it wasn’t really that. I just wasn’t looking forward to the idea of giving birth again. With Avery, I had fully denied the epidural until it was too late, and I couldn’t get it. It was horrible, and it was something I never wanted to relive again.

But then I thought about holding another baby in my arms, and I got kind of emotional. I missed how tiny she was. I missed all her little gurgles and kisses and her little fat hands. I missed when she was learning to walk and all those goofy drooly smiles. And the first time she giggled in her sleep or how excited she looked when she rolled over by herself. Oh jeez, I was probably just PMSing. I only ever got emotional when I was PMSing. I was getting all choked up and had tears in my eyes.

So okay, maybe the baby idea was kind of cool. Chris and I were doing well enough financially and emotionally to raise another child. I just wasn’t sure if I was ready to admit that to Chris. I still had to think about it a little bit.

But as I was sitting there thinking about it, I felt someone set their beardy chin on my shoulder and kiss my neck.

“You smell like shampoo,” Chris said. I smiled and brought my hand up to squish him.

“That’s because I washed my hair this morning?” I replied.

“I love it when you wash your hair.” He was using his flirty voice, so I laughed.

“Well—I guess it’s a good thing I do it regularly then?” He nodded.

“Yes. Wash it again. Wash it all night long.”

“Oh jeez. You’re such a weirdo.”

“Olivia told you I was coming, didn’t she?”

“Yeah, she told on you.” He sighed.

“I figured she did when you didn’t turn around and punch me for kissing your neck.”

“Did you want me to punch you?”

“Nah, but maybe you can spank me later. You ready for lunch?” he asked, standing back. I snorted and rolled my eyes.

“Yes, sir,” I replied. “What did you have in mind?” I swiveled in my chair to face him. He stood back up and looked around the office full of cubicles.

“Something quick. Like a mushroom burger or something.”

“Yes—that sounds amazing. Let’s go.”