‹ Prequel: Chasing Cars

Around Our Heads

Four

When we got to our favorite fast food place, I ordered the jumbo meal. That, coupled with the fact that I was already thinking about babies, made the warning signs go off in my head. But I decided to worry about it later because I was hungry.

I still had some time left on my break when Chris brought me back to the parking garage. Then I finally figured out why he wanted a quick lunch so badly. As soon as the car was parked, his lips were on mine.

We fumbled with our seatbelts for a moment before falling over into the backseat. The only words we spoke were, “Are you sure there’s enough room?” and “Do you think the windows are tinted enough?” But he’d been gone for a while, and we were desperate. Plus, we’d been so close before we were interrupted the night before. We were so eager we didn’t even pull our clothes off all the way. He got my jeans off one foot and pulled his own halfway down. Then we got to finish what was interrupted the night before. And it was totally worth doing it in a cramped car in the parking garage.

I wanted to stay there longer, but Chris said he’d left Avery with Vic and wanted to get to her before Vic had a chance to set the house on fire again. So we only made out for like two minutes, and then he let me go. I raced back upstairs with a goofy smile on my face. My mind was still a blur of happiness due to my excellent lunch break. So Olivia spotted the dazed expression and swooped down on me like a bird of prey the moment I sat down.

“Where were you?” she whispered.

“Sorry. I didn’t mean to be late,” I replied.

“I thought I was going to have to send out the search party. What took you so long? Did you guys get to finish your happy reunion?” I smiled. “Oh my god, you did. I’ll have to get you your own office, so you don’t have to leave work to do it.” My smile fell.

“You don’t mean—I mean—you and Josh don’t….”

“Sure we do.” There was a face/desk collision.

“I’m never touching your desk again.”

“Hey, I clean it.” I shook my head.

“Gross.”

“Well, fine. If you’re going to be like that, then I’m never sitting in your car again.” I gave her a thumbs up to show we were on the same page. “That must’ve been one hell of a happy reunion because you guys were gone forever.”

“It was the best happy reunion I’ve ever had.”

“In that case, I won’t give you a tardy slip.”

“You weren’t going to give me one anyway, were you?” Someone walked by, and she straightened up.

“That’s the last warning I’m giving you, Miss Johnson,” she said sternly. Then she smiled and walked away.

It wasn’t until later that day that the second warning bell dinged in my head. I was driving home from work, and I was starving again. So I decided to stop by Mcdonald’s to get something quick to eat. Plus, I was starting to feel a bit dizzy. I parked and pulled my phone out of my bag to call Chris and see what he wanted.

“Hello?” he asked.

“Hey, I’m at Mcdonald’s. Do you want something?”

“I’m making dinner.”

“Damn. Then I’ll just get some fries because I’m starving. I’ll be home soon.”

“Don’t fill up too much. I’m making your favorite.”

“Fine. I’ll just get a small fry then.”

“Kay, see you in a bit.”

“Alright, bye.” I disconnected and went to stand in line. And then my life decided to change all over again. It was just like the last time. I was standing in line behind a bunch of slow people when I felt very dizzy and disoriented. And then bam. My face hit the floor.