All I Ask

Blueberry Pancakes

"Davina, I've got your coffee." I heard Liam's voice from the other side of my door. I sniffed, wiping at my cheeks. It wouldn't help. Liam always knew when I was crying. With a dry face and red eyes, I pulled open my door, offering him a weak smile as I reached for the steaming mug. He sighed, stepping in the room with me. He took a seat in the rocking chair that sat in the corner of the room while I made my way back to my bed.

"Thank you," I muttered, taking a sip of the hot liquid. I let out a small sigh of relief at the warmth that spread through my body. I crossed my legs, pulling my duvet over them. I was thankful that I had the day off, but that left too much time to dwell. I didn't have any distractions.

"Let's go shopping. I don't want to sit here all day, and I know you don't either. We'll spend the day trying on clothes we can't buy, and I'll even pay for lunch." He gave me an encouraging smile, and even though it all sounded like I good idea, I just wanted to lay in my bed.

"I don't know, Li."

"Come on. When we get back, I promise we can cuddle and watch Skins until your heart's content." Liam absolutely hated Skins, meaning he really wanted me to go out. I couldn't say that I blamed him. I'd spent majority of my time at work or in my room crying if I wasn't with Zayn. I'd been a terrible flatmate and best friend.

"Alright. Just let me finish my coffee and shower." He grinned, nodding his head as he walked out of my room. I exhaled, closing my eyes and tilting my head up to face the ceiling. I needed to get myself together. Zayn was only a person. I didn't even know him well, but it was still as though my world revolved around him. I constantly checked my phone to see if he was coming over or if I was supposed to go to his. I was always in a shitty mood when he left. It was unfortunate, and I needed to snap out of it. I swallowed the rest of my caffeine filled cup and set it on my bedside table before walking into the bathroom. I scrubbed the coffee stains and smell from my teeth, spitting the excess toothpaste into the sink. I turned on the hot water, stripping out of my clothes. I brushed through my hair, waiting for the water to warm up before I stepped inside.

"Don't use all the hot water!" I heard Liam's voice from the other side of the door. I rolled my eyes, rinsing the shampoo from my dark strands. I wanted a change, maybe bleach it. I was tired of the chocolate curls that hung down my back. Maybe a trim would be a good idea as well

"I'm almost done!" I scrubbed my body and shut the water off, wringing the excess liquid from my hair. I wrapped a towel around my body and stepped onto the rug, swiping my hand across the mirror to clear it. I looked tired, the bags under my eyes larger than normal. I was frowning, my shoulders sagging. I dried my hair, swiping concealer under my eyes and mascara on my eyelashes to make myself look halfway decent. A pair of thick tights and a large jumper seemed like the most sensible outfit. It was also the most comfortable. I pulled on my clothes, sliding my feet into a pair of warm socks before lacing my boots up.

"You ready?" Liam was standing in my doorway, a small smile on his face.

"Yeah." I pushed myself from the floor, grabbing my phone and wallet from the dresser. My stomach growled like I hadn't eaten in weeks. If I was telling the truth, I didn't remember the last time I'd eaten anything other than a cup of yogurt. I watched Liam's expression change. He knew what was going on, and he wasn't happy. He looped his arm through mine, pulling me out the front door.

"It's going to be okay Davina. You're going to be okay." He pressed a kiss to my hair, and I leaned my head on his shoulder. I just hoped he was right. I hated feeling like this. I hated feeling lost.

"Can we get breakfast? I'm not really in the mood for lunch."

"Do you know of a place that's still serving breakfast?"

"Yes, and we can walk." For the first time today, I smiled. Lucille's Cafe was one of my favorite places to be. It had such a warm atmosphere, and the woman that owned it was one of the sweetest people in the world. The food was amazing, and I always felt better when I was there.

"You're back!" Christina, one of the waitresses and a close friend of mine, threw her arms around my neck. I patted her back a few times, forcing a small small smile onto my face.

"Yeah. I was in the mood for breakfast. This is Liam." I could see the somewhat starstruck look on his face out of my peripheral vision. Christina was gorgeous, all long limbs and thick curls. She had the brightest smile I'd ever seen, and she was a sweetheart.

"Hi Liam. I'm Christina. It's nice to meet you." She smiled and gave him a hug, though she didn't attack him like she did with me. I stifled my giggle as he gave me a thumbs up over her shoulder.

"It's nice to meet you too, love."

"You want your normal table?" she asked, turning back to me.

"Yeah." She led us over to the corner, placing two menus down on front of us.

"Louis' going to be excited to see you." A small smile crossed my face voluntarily. Louis was probably my favourite person in the world besides Liam. He always made my days a little bit brighter.

"Who's Louis?" Liam asked as Christina walked away.

"The greatest person to ever walk this planet, other than you of course." I added the last part when I noticed his eyes narrowing. Liam was the best friend I'd ever had in my life. No one could replace him.

"You'd better have a good reason for not showing up for three weeks." Blue eyes sparkled in my direction. I stood up from the booth, wrapping my arms around his midsection.

"I don't have a reason that you'll accept. I'm sorry. I promise to come by more often." Liam was glancing between the two of us, a prominent smirk on his face. I gave him a warning look. I knew exactly what he was thinking, and it wasn't going to happen. Louis was in a steady relationship, and, from the few times I'd met her, she actually seemed like a wonderful human being. I liked them together. I slid back into my seat, looking over the menu, but it was snatched from my hands.

"Hey mate. You must be Liam. I'm sorry Davie's so rude. You have to excuse her. I'm Louis." I rolled my eyes, leaning my head against the cool leather.

"Nice to meet you. I've been trying to get her to work on her manners. You'd think she was raised in a barn with the way she acts sometimes." It wasn't the first time I'd head Liam say that. It's not like I could protest much. I didn't have very good manners, but my attitude reflected off of the way others treated me, so what does that say about everyone else?

"I'm sitting right here," I reminded both of them, crossing my arms over my chest.

"I was hoping you'd come in soon though. Eleanor has been screaming at me to get your phone number for her. Says she needs a girl friend to take to the nail salon and what not. You are her prime candidate. I apologize in advance." I laughed, taking a sip from the water that was in front of me.

"Remind me to give it to you before we leave. Now, what are the specials for today?" My stomach was starting to growl, and I could see Liam giving me a weird look.

"Niall's been experimenting with blueberry pancakes this morning. Would you like to be the first to try them?"

"Sure. How can someone mess up blueberry pancakes?"

"Trust me. Niall will find away. May the force be with you. Same for you, mate?" He asked, turning to Liam.

"Yeah. Pancakes sounds alright." Louis nodded, not bothering to write our orders down. He disappeared into the back, leaving me with a curious Liam.

"I'm assuming Eleanor is his girlfriend?"

"Yes, so whatever ideas you have about me and Louis dating should leave your mind right this second. Even if he was single I wouldn't date him. He's entirely too immature. I'd spend more time parenting him than actually dating him." I loved Louis. He was the comic relief in a bad situation, but I often wondered how Eleanor was able to put up with it constantly. I probably would have hit him over the head with a bat by now.

"It's good to see you smile though. I don't think I've seen you genuinely smile in a few months." I knew where this conversation was going, and I really didn't want to have it in public. I was in somewhat good spirits, and talking about my unfortunate situation was just going to put a damper on my decent mood.

"Please, Liam. Not here." I begged, resting my head on my palm.

"I know. I'm just saying, Davina. You deserve a lot better than that arsehole." He was right. I knew I deserved better, but like every girl that encountered Zayn, I was already in too deep. He was intoxicating. He had this look about him. It made you want nothing more than to figure out what was going on in his head, but he never fully let you in. He'd give you snippets here and there. Sometimes on accident, sometimes to fill an uncomfortable silence. I was drawn in, and I wasn't sure that I could walk away until I knew it all. Even then, I probably wouldn't leave.

"I get it, Liam."

"No, Davina, I don't think you do. I'm tired of coming home to you crying or you coming home in tears. There is so much more out there for you, but you won't let yourself experience it because you think this prick is going to miraculously fall in love with you." I didn't think that, but I definitely hoped it would happen. It would make my life that much easier, but nothing was ever easy. That wasn't the way the world worked.

"Will you get off my back if I went on a date?" I didn't know what would shut him up.

"No, because I know that you don't actually want to go on a date, but maybe you'll meet someone." I rolled my eyes, leaning against the cushion. I picked at my already chipped nail polish, letting out a loud sigh.

"Fine. The next guy that asks me out that's not entirely revolting or in a relationship, I will go on a date with." He gave me a satisfied nod, but I knew this conversation wasn't over. Louis returned with two plates of blueberry pancakes, eggs, and bacon.

"You're in for a treat. Niall says he finally perfected whatever the fuck he put in there. You're not going to die today." Louis beamed, waiting for me to take a bite and tell him how wonderful the food was. He always did it whenever I ate something new. I drowned the pancakes in syrup, slicing off a piece and popping it into my mouth. My eyes widened in surprise. Whatever Niall put in the batter was golden.

"My compliments to the chef." I muttered through a mouthful of my breakfast.

"He'll be happy to hear that. I think it's safe to put on the specials board." I watched him walk outside, scribbling something on the chalkboard that sat in the front.

"Why have you never brought me here?" Liam asked, tucking into his breakfast as well.

"You're always doing something, and it's been a bit of a sanctuary for me. If you weren't listening to Louis, I haven't been here for a while anyway. It's great though."

"Davina, where have you been?" The familiar voice of the owner startled me a little. She usually wasn't here until the evenings, but I smiled all the same and stood up to give her a hug.

"Hi, Lucille." She held me at arm's length, examining my appearance. I knew she was going to make a comment about my weight. She always did.

"You need to eat more. Who is this? Did you finally get a boyfriend?" I choked on my saliva as she beamed at Liam and shook my head.

"No. This is my flatmate, Liam. He's actually trying to find me a date." I regretted the words as soon as they left my mouth. I'd watched Lucille try to set Christina up with numerous guys. I never heard the end of it when things didn't work out.

"Nice to meet you, sweetheart. Well, my grandson is actually coming by later on today around 7. He just moved into the city. If you come back, I'll introduce you to him." I opened my mouth to say no, but Liam gave me a wide smirk, and I knew I was screwed.

"Sure. That sounds alright." She grinned, clapping her hands together before she disappeared into the back. I sat down, sighing as I stuffed my mouth with more food. I just wanted to be back in my own bed.

"Don't look so upset. This will be good for you." I rolled my eyes, muttering how much I hated him as I finished off the last of my breakfast. I put some notes on the table for my food, fully planning on walking home by myself, but I froze when I stood up. Walking through the door was Zayn and another girl. My entire body went cold as I stared at the two of them. He hadn't seen me yet, and I prayed that he wouldn't because I was on the verge of a breakdown. I turned back to Liam to ask what I should do, but he looked pissed.

"Davina?" I felt his presence behind me, and I mentally cursed. I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath before I turned around, plastering a fake smile on my face.

"Hey."

"How are you?" He glanced over my shoulder at Liam. They didn't get along and almost never spoke to each other.

"I'm alright. What about you?"

"I'm okay."

"Zayn, come on. I'm hungry, and mum said--" She stopped talking when saw me, offering a small smile, "Oh, hello."

"Hi." I waved a little, returning her smile as best I could.

"Davina, this is my sister, Waliyha." I felt my shoulders sag with relief, and I could only hope that he didn't notice.

"It's nice to meet you." I felt a little better, but my mood was still rather shitty. I didn't even want to know what Liam was doing behind me.

"It's nice to meet you as well. Are you his girlfriend? Zayn never tells us anything." I coughed awkwardly, running my fingers through my hair.

"No. I'm not his girlfriend."

"Do you know what's good to eat here? It's my first time." She seemed so excited. She was different from her brooding brother.

"I recommend the blueberry pancakes. They're new, but they're amazing."

"You ready, Davina?" I was thankful that Liam came to my rescue.

"Yeah." I waved and stepped around the two of them, trying to get to the door as fast as possible.

"Wait, will I see you later?" Zayn stopped me before I could leave. I raised my eyebrows, wondering why he would ask me that question in front of his sister. I was sure she didn't know what was going on, but this was probably giving it away.

"Sure." I nodded once, letting Liam drag me from the cafe before I could say anything.

"Davina--"

"Don't.