The Mysterious Girl in the Forest

One

Marcel didn't know how much times he watched his best friend got injured before that day , how much he watched him suffering , how much he was there with him in his ups and his downs , he can't count all those incidents happened to Marco and whatever happened , he found himself always with him , cheering him up and helped him to go through it. But this time was completely defferent .

It happened in their summer holiday in Ibiza, when Marco decided to ride a Jet ski across the bay just after Marcel had paddling it, all Marcel could do was staring in horror at the scenery in front of him, not able to do anything against what would come next, no matter how much he wished that he could stop the time and save Marco.

Marcel , Robin , Dino , Alban stood there at the edge of their rented boat , frozen in place, watching Marco rolled in the air while his vessel turned upside down , hitting him directly on his head.

Marcel heard himself scream , as well as his friends when they saw Marco slidded then flying through the air like a jointed doll and hitting the salty water with his head just in split of second before the small vehicle with colors of the German Flag landed directly on his head and his upper torso , his blood spreaded on the water like wildfire and his body had sunk before rising up again and floated there without moving. Marcel could see red blood pouring out of a big wound on his head and his face was pale like snow .

Marcel didn't wait a single second and soon he found himself jumping in the water , swimming the fast he could to reach his friend , trying to pull him out with him.

"Please, wake up, Marco wake up, please don't be dead!" he repeated as soon as he reached him, like a mantra again and again. He wiped the water from his face and began to sob out of control, begging Marco to wake up almost hysterically , his friends Robin and Al joined him while Dino disappeared at the driver's cabine asking for help , until the first-aid attendants came as soon as they got a signal from the boat, pushing the three young men to the side and working on the midfielder , who held his eyes closed and didn't react to anything, at all.

Marcel watched them carrying the unconscious player on a stretcher very carefully . Marcel swam behind them till he reached their boat, he could see that they were deeply worried, just as the rest of his friends standing behind him, watching the attendants doing their job with the same horror on their faces as Marcel felt.

" Is he fine , please don't hide anything" he begged talking to one of them , wiping his paled face in an unconscious gesture

" We should take him as fast as we could to the hospital , I can't lie ... but his state isn't very much ... good" the attendant replied

Marcel didn't feel anything after that statement, he didn't hear the encouraging words that everything would be fine again, he just stared at the coastguard boat that took Marco to the nearest clinic before it disappeared .

+++

The Dortmund's guys were all waiting at the corridor , all on their nerves , Robin standing near the entrance , Dino sitting on the bench holding his face with both of his tremble hands , Alban leaning his head on the cold wall but still focused his gaze on the room's glassy door , Ramsey and Armin came as fast as they could when they had got a call from Al , still didn't believe what happened and how , Marco was really good when he drove such motors , beside he was the most cautious person when it comes to "drive carefully" , their exchanged glances to each other told their horror if any bad could happened to their friend , waiting impatiently to anyone came out from the operation room and told them about his state and ending their misery. Marcel paced back and forth in front of the operation room , he was too nervous to sit down , seven hours after the accident , seven damn hours after they had entered Marco the operation room and he still had nothing about his state and his injury .

He himself was in the state of a constant haze, numb and cold inside , his mind started to make some bad tricks on him , imagining the worst scenarios could be , he sighed resented , at least one of the doctors inside should came out and told them about him , what if he didn't wake up , what if something bad happened , what he could say then to his parents, to his family? No Marco is a strong man , he should fight , he can't leave me, I won't let him to leave me. He talked to himself secretly , closing his eyes to fight his tears.

Finally someone had appeared out the room , it must be a surgeon or one of the assistants , Marcel almost stumbled over his own feet when the glassy door finally opened , an old man in his early 60s was taking his surgeon hat off , gazing at the nervous guys before his eyes , he sighed licking his dry lips after the questions started inundate him from the nervous young people

" Doctor please, tell me what's wrong with Marco?" he asked in Spanish , the old physician looked at his face , tired after he spent seven hours in a complicated surgery

" Will he get well ? " Robin asked frightened , while the guys gathered all around the doctor

" I think you should call his parents ?"

" We are his friends , you can tell us , please" Marcel pleaded , the physician stared at them all , then talked to Marcel

" I'm sorry we don't know , the operation was really difficult , we did all what we could do . Marco is suffering a skull brain trauma beside he lost too much blood , the good news here that the crush didn't hurt his spinal cord , but we can't anticipate the events thus we have to wait till his awakening . Excuse me that's all what I can tell you for now " he stated

"But would h-he sur-survive?"

" As I told you before we can't anticipate what's going to happen. But don't worry, we will do the very best we can to bring him back" he smiled insecure and left the startled and confused guys behind him

+++

Four days later , Marco was still lying in his infirmary bed at the intensive care unit with a bandage around his head and monitors surrounding him , his parents came to Ibiza at the first flight soon they heard about the accident and the hungry paps were all at the entrance of the private clinic , waiting any news about his currently state. Marco still didn't wake up and that what really bothered the doctors , they did all what they could to do but they still didn't get any signs from the unconscious blond male , and the worst as long as his state didn't show any progress, there would be no chances for him to survive.

His mother was sitting beside the bed of her son , wearing the clothes she had to wear during her stay in this special unit. Her eyes glued at his paled snow white face , her eyes were puffy and red with black circles under her bags , she couldn't have any sleep during this past four days, held his hand on hers . In her mind's eyes, she was living the cherished childhood of her son , since he was just few second old , his first bath , his first walk , his joyful laughs , the long nights he caused her to stay awake . His life's periods were running like a chaos night train before her eyes and she can't do nothing to wake him up , Marco can't feel anything , and his state was getting worse day by day.

Manuela sniffled and bent over her son to kiss his cheek

" Please , baby wake up , I don't want to lose you" she pleaded , her eyes started to water again , then she felt a hand landed on her shoulder , stroking her gently

" Manuela you have to take a rest honey , I will be here with him" her husband, Thomas said, trying to hide his weakness behind his strong features , but no matter what he did , he couldn't suppress the feeling that he would possible lost his son.

" No I won't leave him alone!"

" But you're tired , it's not good for your health"

" I said I won't leave him , I won't leave my son" she spoke out under her breath, shouting her husband a deathly glare , he pursed his lips then bent over and kissed her head then sat down again at his place , praying if there would be any miracle to exchange the situation with his son , he would rather been in this shitty bed instead to see his only son laying there with no signs of life. It was just painful to stay watch him without having any ability to do anything. Thomas sighed painfully, following his gaze the life's line in the monitors , his son connected with.

In this moment somebody pushed the door opened and then some people stormed inside, Manuela lifted her head to see the physician who supposed to be the director of the clinic standing near the edge of her son's bed , accompanied with some others physicians and nurses

" I'm glad to find you here Mr & Mrs Reus , I need to talk to you , could you please follow me" the man with beard said in low voice , looking a little bit insecure , Marco's parents swallowed hard , looking at each other face then Thomas nodded his head , walking outside followed by his wife of 35 years.

"What's there doctor?" the German father asked frightened after he left the room , his wife held his hand firmly

"Well I don't want to turn around , the state of your son still has no progress , in opposite , he is getting worse , and since he still can't wake up , we see that we have to transfer him to another hospital "

" What do you mean with transfer him ?" the mother asked horrified

" Please don't freak out ma'am , we made some calls with the German hospital , they have excellent doctors there and maybe they can find out why he still doesn't wake up. We could stabilize him and take care of his injuries, but, he's still in a coma."

" And what does that mean?"

"We are going to transfer him tonight to Frankfurt , we had agreed about everything with the German hospital and since he would be home , I think maybe there would be progress, the sooner he would be there the much chances he could gain" he said firmly

The startled parents looked at the physician with blank expression, but if their son would be alright , then they would certainly agree with what the Spanish Doctor said.

+++

Few hours later the helicopter reached the private clinic in Frankfurt and landed safely at it place on the top of the building after they brought Marco from the special flight from Spain to Germany.

"Be careful ! " one doctor said in the midst of the copter's noise , as they were helped with the stretcher Marco was lying on ,

" Watch his blood pressure " one of the doctors ordered, the private clinic was all worked by leaps and bounds , all in crazy pressure , Neurosurgeons with Cardiologists and some other physicians from deferent specialties were all gathered at Marco's room at the intensive care unit , watching his state every now and then ,

"Where is Dr. Bauer , we need her here, Sandra please send her the urgent signal , we need every physician here with us " Dr. Neuermann , the head of the clinic ordered the nurse .

" She is in her vacancy and..."

" Tell her to cut it off !! " he yelled ,the nurse just nodded and walked out in hurry.

+++

Dr. Charlotte Bauer , or as her friends used to call her "Lotte" was lying in her bedroom with her little nephew, telling him bedtime stories before to go to sleep as she always did, something Lotte enjoyed so much and having fun doing it.

The brunette narrated her favorite fairy tale when she was a little girl, cherished her early years of her life when she was climbing her bed excited only to listen to her father tales, recounting her the story of the sleeping beauty , it was her favorite all time , she had amused listened to how a very beautiful princess fell into a deep sleep after a mean fairy bewitched her , and how she woke up after that sweet love kiss from her prince who saved her from the curse.

Lotte was recounting the story for the umpteenth time, but even Marco, her nephew didn't get bored , he was simply grateful and adored how his aunt was amused when she spends her very limited short time with him.

" ... and then they lived happily ever after" she sealed the story with a kiss on her nephew's forehead , pulling the duvet up to cover him .

Charlotte stood up walking outside the room , her stomach grumbled so she walked to the kitchen looking for something edible after she turned the TV on to watch . She opened the fridge and stayed in front of it opened door for a while scanning the food inside , but then she gave up bringing only a yogurt adding to it spoonful of her favorite cereals with chocolatey taste . Lotte started flopping through the channels after she took a spoon from her mug , something caught her eyes when she looked for 'das erste' , her favorite channel and then a breaking news about a hard crush some German football player had got during his holiday. She opened her mouth surprised and feeling pity for the young male who probably would lost his life after such a hard crush. Her eyes were still glued at the screen when suddenly her phone rung , Lotte hurried to pick it up from the kitchen table

" Hello?" she asked after she read the name on the bright screen , it was Sandra , the nurse she worked with , Lotte wondered what that thing caused Sandra to call her.

"Lotte we are in need , Dr. Neuermann told you to cut your vacancy off , probably you heard the news, we have a football player had a hard crush, please come as soon as possible" the young nurse said in hurry , giving only the headlines then hung up the call without any further details .

+++