Blackstar

Ten - The Celestials

We walked with the man for at least an hour through the woods. Though there was no path, he didn’t seem to have any trouble finding his way. I didn’t trust myself to speak and my father remained equally quiet. With a pang of terror, I wondered if the legends of mind reading were true. If that were the case, though, the man would know by now who we were….

Finally, we arrived at the opening to a cave. The man stopped just outside and murmured a few words.

“No humans may enter,” he explained quietly. “These necklaces will provide safe passage.”

He handed us necklaces made of leather and a charm shaped like a shell hanging from them. I put mine on and, with a deep breath, entered the cave. With each step we took, torches lit up on both sides of the cave. It seemed to go on forever and the ground started to slope downward.

“Our leader is weak,” the man said in a sudden brisk voice. “You will be respectful. You will be brief. Most importantly, you will keep your distance.”

“What’s your leader’s name?” my father asked but the man didn’t answer.

In front of us was a large heavy door. He knocked a pattern on the door and it swung open to reveal an underground city. My mouth dropped open. At least 200 vampires walked the streets, stopping when they saw us to stare. They whispered among each other as we walked quickly toward a large home on the other side of the colony. Another heavy door confronted us and, this time, the man leaned forward and whispered something.

“Be respectful,” he reminded us darkly, stepping aside so we could walk in.

The hall was small. It was designed much like a castle although there was only one story. A throne sat on the opposite wall and a man was sitting there, slumped over a little. Standing on either side were two young women, both with waist length white blonde hair and red eyes. They watched us carefully as we approached their master.

We bowed.

“Who are you?” he asked, his voice low and weak.

“My name is-”

“I care not for names,” he interrupted us but he didn’t lift his head. “Who are you?” I hesitated, not sure how to answer his question. “Where do you come from?”

“The kingdom of Felden,” I lied, standing up straight.

“Who is your master?”

“We don’t have one,” my father said.

Finally, the lord lifted his head and I stifled a gasp. His hair was completely white and his eyes, like all the other vampires, were red. That’s not what startled me.

He had a large black star on his forehead.

“He abandoned you?” he asked with narrowed eyes.

“Yes, my lord,” I breathed, quickly averting my eyes.

“How did you hear of us?”

“Rumors.”

The lord leaned back in his throne. “And what do you want?”

“Answers,” I said, my voice shaking a little.

Get yourself together, Alexi.

I kept my eyes cast downward, not trusting myself to look him in the face.

“What are your questions?”

My mouth went dry as my father said, “What does it mean to be a thrall?”

One of the women spoke. “You are at your master’s bidding,” she said. “It is strange for your master to just abandon you.”

“Perhaps you are not worthy,” the other woman said and I could tell they were twin sisters.

At the moment, someone else walked in. It was a man around my age. I had to stifle another gasp. He looked exactly like Raven.

“I heard we have guests,” the man said.

“Indeed we do, Blackmoon,” the lord said and nodded toward me and my father.

The man bowed. “I am Blackmoon, at your service.”

“Blackmoon is a thrall as well,” the lord commented and I gulped. “Blackmoon, show these two men to where they may rest their bodies.”

Blackmoon gestured for us to follow and, after a quick bow to the lord, we followed. We left the manor and back into the streets. The vampires didn’t pay as much attention to us this time around. There were many twists and turns and I started to get a little dizzy. Finally, we arrived at a small hut. Blackmoon opened the door. Before I could look around, he shoved us in and slammed the door behind him, locking it firmly.

“You are not thralls,” he stated, looking at us suspiciously. “Who are you?”

I glanced at my father. He looked just as lost for words as I was.

“Of course we are,” I started but he rolled his eyes.

“Don’t try it,” he snapped. He showed us his bite marks. Unlike the ones Raven had fashioned with needles, his were bright red. “Each thrall’s bite marks are unique. None are scabbed over. They never heal. Now answer my question.”

I sighed and swept my gaze around the hut. There were three beds, a fireplace, and a small cupboard with food. There weren’t any windows.

“No one can spy on us,” Blackmoon said as if reading my mind.

“You’re right,” I said. “We are not thralls. We have come seeking information.”

He narrowed his eyes. “What kind?”

“Have you heard of someone, or something, called Blackstar?” my father asked and Blackmoon sat down heavily on one of the beds.

“You’ve found my sister?” he rasped, his face pale.

“Your sister?” we said in unison.

“You are in the clan of the Celestials,” he explained as we sat on the other beds. “When Blackstar and I were children, our parents were turned into vampires. They didn’t want us to have the same life and tried to smuggle us out of their reach.” He shook his head. “But the Lord Lucian knew what they were trying to do. They attacked and got me but my sister escaped. When I was brought before the lord, he made me his thrall and changed my name. But it was my sister he wanted the most; he would call her Blackstar. Then he got sick.”

“How can a vampire get sick?” I asked, frowning.

Blackmoon smiled grimly. “I’m dying,” he said simply. “I poisoned my blood a year ago.” He sighed, looking at his hands. “The poison is spreading rapidly through his body.”

“When will you die?” my father asked quietly.

“I have two months left.” I was impressed. He didn’t seem frightened at all. If anything, he seemed happy. “I just regret never seeing my sister again.”

“If what you say is true,” my father began, “we can lead you to her.”

His eyes filled with tears. “Thank you but that isn’t possible.”

“Why not?”

“He’ll follow us,” he said. “If he finds her, he’ll feed from her and regain his strength.”

“He’s already marked her,” I told him. “What more can he do?”

Blackmoon rubbed his eyes. He thought for a long time and started pacing the small hut. I watched him, not wanting to interrupt his train of thought. Finally, he stopped walking and a small smile curled on his face.

He laughed.

“I know just what to do.”