Blackstar

Fourteen - Welcome Home

We didn’t have much time to get ready in the morning, either. During the trip, I kept glancing over at Alexi. He would occasionally rub his shoulder as if it hurt. His amber eyes were ever watchful, never lowering his hood and ordering us to do the same.

“What can he possibly be thinking?” I asked Vera but she shook her head, pulling her horse so it was walking beside mine.

“Usually I can always read him,” she whispered. “Something is blocking me out, though. Whatever he’s seen or whoever he’s spoken with, it has given him a sense of determination I’ve never seen. What do you think is at your home?”

I shook my head. “I have no idea. I don’t even know where the place is.”

“Hush,” Alexi said suddenly, pulling his horse to the side and holding up his hand. We all stopped our horses and listened carefully to our surroundings. “Raven,” he added and I looked at him. “Do you hear or feel anything?”

I frowned at him. “Of course not. What am I supposed to…? Wait a minute.”

I jumped off my horse and Alexi did the same. He was watching me intently as I lowered my hood. I felt a sudden tug at my chest and I began running.

“No!” Alexi yelled. “Raven, wait for us!”

But something inside of me told me to keep running. Everything was starting to look familiar. I skid to a halt. To my right was the cliff I had fallen down. Without giving it a second thought, I scrambled up the steep slope, ignoring the yells from the royal family as they followed. Panting, I paused at the top and looked around.

To the left.

I ran, holding my skirts up as I did so to avoid tripping. I jumped nimbly over the roots, my black eyes darting between trees. The tugging feeling increased as I got closer to my unseen goal. Suddenly, I felt like I had run into a solid wall. I stumbled back and fell on my rear heavily.

“Don’t ever do that again!” Alexi yelled, catching up with me. “What are you doing?”

He helped me stand. The King, Queen, and Vera had caught up with us. I tilted my head to the side and put my hand out.

“There’s something here,” I whispered.

My arm seemed to move against my will. My left hand took Alexi’s and pressed both to whatever barrier was in our way. The air around us rippled and we all gasped.

A small cottage seemed to appear out of nowhere. I walked forward first, amazed at the scene. There were wildflowers growing all around it. A white fence encased a yard with a stone bird bath. It smelled of sweet flowers.

“What is this place?” the Queen whispered.

The air around us rippled again and, instinctively, I knew the barrier had closed again.

“It’s my home,” I said without thinking.

I opened the small wooden gate. The royal family hung back as I put my hand on the doorknob. I was shaking and took a steadying breath.

“Open it, Raven,” Alexi said quietly from behind me.

I gulped and turned the knob, pushing it open. I had to duck to get inside. The cottage looked as if its inhabitants had just left moments again. To the left, a small wooden table held four plates and a vase of flowers. Utensils sat on the sides as if waiting for the evening meal. To the right a fireplace sat barren. Two wicker chairs sat on either side with small wicker foot rests. Two bedrooms were at the end.

One obviously must have belonged to my parents. There was a large bed and a wardrobe. My shaking hands opened it to reveal a few dresses and work clothes. Two pairs of slippers and work boots sat at the bottom. I ventured into the room that I once shared with my brother. Two small beds sat against each wall with small chests at the end.

I knelt down in front of the bed on the left. I opened the chest. Inside was a small doll with a faded apron.

“Rose,” I whispered.

Also inside were a few toys. I frowned when I got to the bottom. Something was wrong. It was too far up to be the bottom of the chest. I put the doll to the side and pressed on it. The left side popped up, allowing me to take it out. Underneath was a drawstring back and rolls of paper. I took them out.

Inside the black was red chalk. The rolls of paper were blanket. Frowning, I went to the chest that had belonged to Joseph. I found the same hidden compartment in his. Inside his, though, I found a long silver rod and three pouches with different herbs.

I gathered the bag, paper, herbs, and the rod. I was about to leave but stopped, looking back at the doll sitting against the chest. I picked her up, too, and went back into the main part of the house.

The royal family had walked in and were staring around in fascination.

“Sit with me,” I whispered and we sat in a circle.

I laid out what I found. Tentatively, the King picked up the silver rod. He examined it for a while.

“There’s a button,” he muttered and, aiming it away from everyone, he pressed it.

We jumped as the rod extended three times its size.

“What herbs are these?” I asked Alexi, passing them over.

He studied them. “This one is surely nightshade,” he said, handing me the purple herb. “This red one… it looks like foxglove. The black one is hemlock.” He shook his head. “Why so many poisonous herbs?”

I gave Vera the paper and the Queen the chalk.

“I found these in my chest and my brother’s chest,” I explained quietly.

“The herbs I can see are useful for poisoning Lucian somehow,” the Queen said slowly. “But why the paper and red chalk?”

“Legend says that red chalk, when used to inscribe runes, is more powerful and can contain any kind of evil demon,” the King answered.

As if someone else spoke, I said, “We are meant to use the chalk to write the runes on the rolls of paper. It will contain Lucian, then we coat the silver rod in the herbs and attack him with them.”

Vera looked at me in shock. “How do you know this?”

“I don’t know,” I said honestly. “But that is what we must do.”

“Where are the runes?” the King asked and I looked around.

“I do not know,” I answered. “I must rest. There is a room with a bed big enough for the two of you,” I said to the King and Queen and pointed to it. “Vera, Alexi, sleep in the two beds in the other room.”

“What about you?” the Queen asked.

“I’m going to sleep out here,” I whispered and turned away.

-Alexi’s POV-

“Come on,” I muttered when my family hesitated. “She needs rest. We all do after the trip.”

While my family went to lie down, though, I hung back. At first I thought Raven was going to start a fire. She was sitting on the floor, all the objects she had found were scattered on the floor behind her. That’s when I saw she was hugging herself.

I knelt beside her and put my hand on her shoulder gently. She began to shake and rock back and forth. A sob escaped her throat and she fell forward. All I could do was put a hand on her back as the pain she was experiencing ripped through her body.

“I’m so sorry, Raven,” I whispered.

She looked up at me, her eyes red.

“Tell me how you found this place,” she demanded.

“You will know when the time is right.”

I sighed and sat in front of her. If ever there was a time, now was it. I took her hand in mine and showed her the slanted rose again.

“Your mother showed me the way,” I explained quietly. “She appeared to me just as Joseph died. She said this is the only safe place for you.”

“Did you see her?”

I shook my head. “Just smoke much like Lucian’s but it was red and smelled of flowers.”

“I remember now,” she whispered, looking around. “Roses. They were her favorite.” Her lower lip trembled. “What could possibly be waiting here? Did she tell you where the runes were?”

“No,” I answered sadly. “She said we would find everything we need. That barrier can only be accessed by someone of their blood.”

“Then why did I need you to help get it down?” she asked.

“Because of the rose she gave me,” I said, touching it gently with my fingers. “I bear the mark of your family. Your last name is Rose.”

“Trinity Rose,” she said quietly. “That was my name.”

“Do you wish to be alone?” I asked but she shook her head.

“No. Stay with me, please.”