Blackstar

Seventeen - Departing

Alexi and King Bartholomew gathered more candles they found in my parents’ wardrobe to give more light to the room. It was dark in more ways than one. Vera was kneeling among the runes, copying them carefully. Queen Vittoria stood behind her, providing the light. I walked among the tables, trying to make sense of it.

Were my parents involved in some kind of cult? Is there where they were turned into vampires? Or was this the place they tried to keep me my brother and safe? But the skulls….

“God, this place gives me the chills,” I whispered.

“These were used for some kind of ritual,” Alexi muttered. “That’s what it must be.”

“Is this how we’re supposed to set the trap for Lucian?” the King asked but I shook my head.
“I have no idea. It wouldn’t be so bad if it weren’t for those awful skulls.”

Alexi went to the closest one and studied it for a long time. He picked it up and I shuddered; I couldn’t imagine touching such a repulsive thing. He picked up a second one, his face unreadable.

“I think this is where they were trying to hide you,” he said, speaking out my thoughts. “But I think I know why it didn’t work.”

“Why?”

“These skulls aren’t real,” he answered simply. “They’re made from wood.”

“They look pretty real to me,” I murmured.

Alexi nodded and grimaced. “Oh, this is awful.”

“What is it?”

He sighed and leaned against the wall. “I think I understand now.” We all watched him. “We’re going to need four skulls. Real ones,” he added.

I laughed. “You’re joking, right?”

He met my gaze grimly.

“And where do you propose we find these skulls?” the Queen asked, her voice dripping with disgust.

He rubbed his chin in thought.

“I can tell you right now,” I said, “I am not digging up any graves! We will not desecrate the dead!”

Alexi paced the room. “Father,” he said finally. “When you were teaching me and Vera the mechanics of the human body as children, you mentioned something called a physician.” The King nodded. “Do these physicians use real skeletons to study?”

The King thought it over. “It would make sense if they did,” he answered slowly. “I don’t know how they would keep it preserved, though. There must be some kind of chemical…. I don’t imagine salt would work like it does with meat.”

“Neither do I,” Alexi agreed. “We need to find four physicians,” he said finally. “Write to them with our stationary.”

“Do you really think they’d just hand them over?” I asked, my stomach twisting at the idea.

“That or they can tell us where we can find some.”

“And what exactly do you plan on telling them in these letters?” his mother asked.

“That they’re needed for scientific purposes,” he answered. “I don’t like it, either,” he said catching our eyes. “But, if what I’m guessing is true, we don’t have a choice.”

-Alexi’s POV-

“Very well,” my father sighed. “I will write these letters and send them to the four kingdoms. I know we have a physician in our kingdom and I need to go back anyway.”

“I’m coming with you,” I said at once but he shook his head.

“You and your sister will stay here.” I opened my mouth to argue. He pointed at my shoulder. “You have been marked, son. It may not be by Lucian, but you’re marked by something. You will stay and protect Vera and Raven. If your mother and I stay out of contact for too long, people will get suspicious.”

I clenched my fists.

“He’s right,” Vera said softly. “Besides, we need to stay and study all of this. Maybe there are some books we can read.”

I shook my head and ran up the stairs, slamming the cottage door behind me. I felt infuriated. I couldn’t just sit here and be useless! The chances of someone getting here were close to none. They could barely find it! My parents needed me. How would they know to get back?

“Alexi,” my mother said from behind me. I heard the cottage door close behind her. “I know you don’t like this,” she began.

“What good will I do here?” I demanded. “How will you find your way back?”

“Your father is arranging that with Raven now,” she said. “Raven needs you,” she added quietly, shooting a glance at the cottage to make sure we weren’t overheard. “She may act as if she’s at peace, but I’m worried about her.”

“Why?”

“How would you feel if you found out your father and I were vampires that died protecting you and Vera? Then add finding our old home with a basement covered in dark symbols?”

“Confused,” I answered honestly. “And frightened.”

She nodded. “Exactly. She and Vera have a good relationship but Vera has fainted.”

I made to run back. “Is she okay?” I demanded.

My mother put a hand on my shoulder. “She’s fine. Your father put her in bed.”

I sighed heavily. “How long will you be gone?”

“A week at the most,” she answered. “We decided we’d go to each kingdom personally. This is too sensitive to entrust to strangers.”

I nodded, running a hand through my hair. “Very well.”

“We leave after dinner. I want to taste the stew Raven made; it smells wonderful.”

At first I considered telling her what Raven told me, but I held back. I followed her inside, still angry but, as much as I hated to admit it, they were right. I couldn’t leave.

-Raven’s POV-

I watched anxiously as the King and Queen left through the barrier. Alexi and I lowered our arms in synchronization, their bodies disappearing. I sighed heavily and checked that our alarm system was working. We rigged it so that, when the King and Queen tripped a wire, a bell would ring through the air.

“How is Vera?” he asked me as we stayed, watching where they had left.

“She woke up long enough to eat,” I answered. “She’s asleep again, though. I think it all kind of overwhelmed her.”

He looked at me. “You’re handling it remarkably well.”

I stood up straight. “Of course I am.”

“Raven,” he said quietly, putting a hand on my upper arm. “It’s okay to admit you’re scared.”

I let out a breathy laugh. “I’m not scared. I’m fine.”

Alexi made me look at him but I tried to avoid his eyes. Those beautiful piercing amber eyes….

“Don’t lie to me,” he whispered. My lower lip trembled. “Come on. Tell me.”

Tears escaped before I could stop them and I buried my face in his chest. He held me close as I cried, running his hands up and down my back.

“This is too much, Alexi,” I murmured into his chest. “I can’t do this on my own.”

“Hey.” He lifted my chin. “You’re not alone, Raven.”

I looked into both of his eyes. “Why haven’t you left yet?” I whispered.

“What do you mean?”

“Why are you still here? I’ve put you in terrible danger.”

He blinked. “It’s not obvious?” I was confused and he stroked my cheek. “I love you, Raven,” he breathed, blushing.

I stood on my toes and kissed him, running my hands from his chest up behind his neck. He leaned into my kiss, holding me as close and tight as he could without hurting me. A cold breeze swept through the land as he pulled me to my knees, taking my hair out of the knot I had pulled back in. I gasped against his lips as a strange heat filled me that I never felt before. His tongue massaged mine as he gripped the back of my neck tightly. My heart hammered as he untied the strings of the apron around me.