Blackstar

Two - First Day

The next morning, I woke, briefly forgetting where I was. I opened my eyes. I was in a nice bed with fluffy blankets. I rubbed my eyes and sat up, remembering the day before. I got dressed and hung the nightgown they had given me back up in the closet. Just as I finished tying the apron around my waist, a bell ran above the door connecting my room with Princess Vera’s.

I hurried over and knocked timidly. I heard her call me in and I stepped through, shutting it quietly. She was sitting at her vanity, her long blond hair still wet from a bath. She smiled at me through the mirror.

“Raven, right?” she asked and I nodded, hovering behind her and unsure what to do. She winced, pulling at a knot in her hair. “I’m sorry for my behavior last night.”

“It’s okay,” I said and took the brush from her. “Here, let me help.”

“So my parents tell me you’re an orphan.”

“Yes, ma’am.”

“I’m very sorry to hear that.”

“Thank you.”

I finished taking care of the knots in her hair and wandered over to her wardrobe. It was filled with beautiful gowns of silk and velvet. I thought for a second before pulling out a long red dress.

“You would look lovely in this, my lady,” I said and she laughed gently.

“That’s actually my favorite dress. Looks like we both have a good eye for fashion.”

I smiled, not meeting her eyes, and helped her into it.

She got out a bright red ribbon and stood behind me. “Hold still,” she said and I obeyed. She pulled my hair tight and tied it with the ribbon. “There,” she said happily. “Add some color to you.”

I blushed. “Thank you. So, what do you need me to do now?”

“I’m rather hungry,” she said, opening her bedroom door. “Come down to breakfast with me. You can meet my brother.”

“What happened to your other hand-maiden?” I asked, walking two paces behind her.

She grabbed my arm so that I was walking beside her. “She quit. You don’t have to be so nervous,” she added as we descended the stairs.

“I always heard hand-maidens were supposed to be shadows….”

“Not to me,” she said firmly and we entered the large dining hall.

“You don’t even know who she is,” a young man was saying. He had his back facing us. “How do we know she’s not an assassin?”

The Queen sighed. “Come, Alexi. Not every new person is out to kill us. Trust your father, please.”

“But what about her background?” he continued. “No references?” Vera cleared her throat pointedly and the Prince turned, his face going bright red. “Good morning, sister,” he said, bowing and leading her to the table.

He completely ignored me.

Vera clicked her tongue. “Don’t be rude, Alexi,” she snapped, and walked back over to me. “This is Raven. She is replacing Violet.”

“So I’ve heard,” he said and held out his hand. “Nice to meet you,” he said stiffly when I shook his hand.

I didn’t answer. Not that it would have mattered. He immediately went back to the table. I stood beside Vera, unsure what to do, until she yanked me into the chair beside her. I blushed.

“Eat up,” the King said kindly. “You look starved.”

A plate full of eggs, sausage, and pancakes was placed in front of me and I rubbed the back of my neck.

“What is it?” the Queen asked.

“I don’t- I’ve never eaten with royalty before,” I murmured. “Madame Marie always said I’d never amou- I mean, we weren’t taught table etiquette.”

Vera smiled. “Well, I guess you’ll just have to learn.”

-Alexi’s POV-

I sat and watched as my sister explained the different uses for the silverware to her new hand-maiden. I cut up my pancakes, very nervous about this newcomer. I ate slowly until I felt a sharp kick under the table. My father glared at me, motioning with his head for me to follow him.

“Please excuse us, ladies,” he said and bowed.

They nodded and Vera went back to cheerfully educating Raven. I followed him outside, ready for the lecture.

“You don’t need to be so mistrustful,” my father said as we walked. “I can tell she’s not a threat.”

I sighed. “I know, Father. It’s just… after Violet….”

Violet had been my sister’s first hand-maiden. It had been she who let the assassins in three years ago. We told everyone she quit when in reality she was currently in the dungeons. Personally, I felt she deserved to be executed but my father had always been one for peace.

“I don’t pick up on any kind of hostility,” my father assured me. “Although, there is something strange about her.”

“I knew it,” I growled. “What aren’t you telling me?”

My father glared at me again. “She’s troubled about something. Perhaps Vera can get through to her. She’s an amnesiac,” he added and I frowned at the term.

“I don’t know what that is.”

“She has no memory,” he explained. “Not since before she was eight years old.” He shook his head in sympathy. “Imagine what that must be like. No family, no memory, and, if what I think is true, growing up in an abusive atmosphere.”

“Why do you think she was abused?”

“Certain things she’s let slip,” he said simply. “Look, trust me on this Alexi. She’s not a threat. There is more to her and, like I said, maybe Vera can help us find out what it is.”

“When are they coming?” I asked, staring out over the fields.

“Tomorrow afternoon,” he answered and I groaned.

“Do we really have to do this, Father?” I asked as we returned to the palace.

“You’re 22 years old, Alexi,” he said firmly and I shoved my hands in my pockets. “It’s about time you find a wife.”

“But a masquerade ball? It’s kind of a cliché, don’t you think?”

He sighed. “There’s no pleasing you, is there?”

“I’m sorry, Father,” I said shamefully. “The idea of marriage just makes me uncomfortable.”

He patted me on the back. “Worry not, Son.”

Easy for you to say, I thought as I watched him go back into the dining hall.

-Raven’s POV-

I spent the rest of the day with Vera, following her and doing her bidding. It turned out that she didn’t really need me to do a lot. I remembered what her father had said about her not being used to life outside of the palace.

“Milady?”

Vera sighed and put her book down, looking at me sternly. “I told you to call me Vera.”

I squirmed. “Vera,” I corrected myself and she smiled. “I like to sew and I was wondering if you’d come down to the marketplace with me to gather cloth and thread with my wages.”

She blinked. “Go to the village?” she asked. She bit her lower lip. “I don’t know, Raven….”

“It’ll be good to get some fresh air,” I insisted. When she still looked unsure I added, “If it’ll make you feel safer, we can have Prince Alexi join us.”

Finally, she agreed to go the following week. After helping her with her bath, I sought out the King. He was in the throne room with the Queen and I curtsied.

“What can we do for you?” the Queen asked.

I shifted awkwardly. “I was wondering about my wages,” I murmured. “Princess Vera and I will be making a visit next week to the village so I can get some supplies. I like to sew, you see, and-”

The King held his hand up. “You convinced her to leave the castle?”

“She only said yes because Prince Alexi will be joining us.”

“Your wages will be every other week,” the Queen informed me. “What day were you planning on going?” I told her and she motioned to the squire that stood just to the side. “Please make a note for me to remember to speak with Matilda about this.”

The squire nodded and wrote quickly.

“Thank you,” I said, curtsying again. “I must get back to Princess Vera.”

They excused me and I hurried out, not paying attention, and running right into Prince Alexi. We both stumbled and our foreheads collided.

“Ow!” we said in unison.

“I am so sorry,” I breathed, mortified.

“Where are you off to in such a hurry?” he asked with a frown, rubbing his forehead.

“Back to Princess Vera,” I said. “I really am sorry,” I added, my own forehead smarting.

“Be careful next time,” he advised but he smiled nonetheless. “Vera told me about the trip next week. She may not show it to anyone else, but she’s excited.”

“As am I. Good night, Prince Alexi,” I said and curtsied.

I hurried off before he could respond and ran to her room. I closed the door and walked over to her vanity where she was sitting waiting for me.

“What happened to your forehead?” she gasped and I turned red.

“I bumped into Prince Alexi,” I mumbled, brushing her hair. “Quite literally.”

She giggled. “You like him, don’t you?”

I gaped at her. “I do not! I don’t even know him!”

She laughed again. “It’s okay. He’s a very handsome young man.” Her eyes saddened. “If only he could relax more. Ever since the assassins….” She sighed. “And now Mother and Father are pushing for him to find a wife.”

“He doesn’t want one?” I asked, helping her into her nightgown.

“It’s not that,” she said thoughtfully. “I think he just doesn’t like being forced into it.”

“I don’t think he’ll have a problem at all with finding someone,” I said. “What about you?”

“Oh.” She turned red. “I- I don’t know, Raven. The idea of courtship is very unfamiliar to me.” She sighed. “All men are.”

I smiled kindly. “You taught me etiquette, I can teach you about men.”

She looked at me. “What do you mean?”

“I know more about men than I’d like to,” I said with a shrug.

“There’s a ball in two days,” she said, suddenly looking excited. “It’s for Alexi to find a potential wife but perhaps we can find….”

Her face went a darker shade of red and, to my surprise, I giggled. She shoved me playfully, climbing into bed.

“Good night, Vera,” I said and she blew the candle out by her bed.

“Good night, Raven,” she called back as I shut the door between our two rooms.
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know what you think!