Blackstar

Four - A Ball and A Kiss

The morning came too soon for me. I groaned, ignoring the call from my servant.

“Please, Master Alexi,” he said. “You must start preparing for the ball.”

“Tell Mother I’m sick,” I mumbled into my pillow.

“I will not lie to the Queen,” he said firmly and suddenly the blankets were ripped from above me. “Now, I have started your bath. I will go and get your suit.”

“You’re feeling better then?” I asked, sitting and rubbing my eyes.

“Yes. Please forgive me for not being here yesterday. It was rather dreadful….”

I nodded. After the fitting I had gone to check on him. All it took was hearing him throwing up in his room to confirm that he really was not feeling well. I got into my bath, washing my blond hair first, and thinking about what happened the previous morning. Raven had avoided me all day and I couldn’t blame her.

When late afternoon came around, there was a knock on my bedroom door.

“Come in,” I called, struggling with the sleeve of my ridiculous costume.

My sister walked in. She was looking beautiful. She hadn’t put her mask on yet.

“Mother and Father think you’re hiding,” she said, helping me pull the sleeve straight. “You look very handsome.”

“I look like someone dunked the suit in glitter,” I groaned, observing myself in the mirror.

The suit was dark blue with a white undershirt. The entire suit seemed to shine.

“Mother wanted you to stand out but still be discreet,” Vera laughed.

“Discreet,” I scoffed. “At least the mask isn’t as bad.”

It was just simple and dark blue.

I looked up, surprised to see tears in her eyes.

“What is it?” I asked.

“It’s just hard to believe this ball is happening so you can find a wife,” she said, straightening my jacket unnecessarily. “I mean, it’s just been you and me for all these years.”

I smiled and kissed her forehead. “And it always will be just you and me. I promise. There will just be a third person.”

She smiled, her lips trembling and tears falling down her face.

“Oh, I am being stupid,” she said, shaking her head. “I need to go finish getting ready.”

She hurried out and I could hear her crying. I sighed and picked up my mask, meeting my parents in the grand entrance as ordered.

“You look handsome,” my mother cried, hugging me.

She and my father were in their normal attire.

“Why all the glitter?” I groaned.

“In hindsight, that probably wasn’t the best idea,” she admitted.

“Now, here’s how it’ll work,” my father said, leading me to the ballroom. “All the guests will come in at the same time. You and your sister will slip in so that no one knows who you are.”

“There won’t be many people, will there?” I asked, thinking about how there were only five kingdoms we were close to.

“Oh, it’s not just royals,” my mother answered, walking around the ballroom to check on things. “Gentlemen, please straighten the royal table,” she said to a pair of butlers, “and help the orchestra get ready.”

“Go outside and get some fresh air,” my father said, patting my shoulder. “We’ll come get you when it’s time.”

-Raven’s POV-

“I don’t know about this, Vera,” I said, pulling at the skirt of the dress.

“You look gorgeous,” she interrupted, putting the finishing touches on my makeup.

“I don’t even know why you want me to go.”

“Because you deserve a bit of fun for a change.” I blushed. “Now, remember the waltz?”

“Vaguely,” I nodded.

We had been practicing all day except for when she went to check on Prince Alexi. She wouldn’t tell me what he was wearing, though.

“Who knows, maybe you’ll dance,” she said with a wink that made me cringe.

“Aren’t nobility supposed to marry nobility?” I asked as we were escorted to the grand entrance.

“Not all the time.” The door behind us opened and she shoved me behind the stairs. “Alexi!” I heard her yell and I groaned.

“Where is Raven?” he asked.

“Oh, she’s feeling ill,” Vera lied and I clenched my teeth.

“Raven is ill?” the King asked.

There were three knocks on the door and Vera and Alexi lined up behind their parents.

“Now, remember you two,” the Queen said, “do not tell anyone who you are.”

“Yes, Mother,” they said in unison.

A crowd of people came in, all chattering happily and I watched as Vera and Alexi slip in amongst them. I briefly considered fleeing but the idea of being around people and having fun was very tempting so I joined them. The hall had been decorated beautifully and, as soon as people came in, the orchestra struck up a lively tune.

I hovered along the edge, watching as people danced. A tall man with flaming red hair came up to me about ten minutes later and practically dragged me to the dance floor. He was a terrible dancer, not that I had much room to talk. But at least I wasn’t constantly stepping on his feet.

“You are very lovely,” he said over the music and I gave a polite smile. “Perhaps, when the ball is over, you and I could go for a walk?”

He winked suggestively and I laughed weakly. “I’m a little thirsty,” I said as soon as the music was over. “Thank you for the dance.”

“I can come with you,” he said.

“Oh, no that’s okay,” I breathed. “Really, it’s fine.”

“But I’d love to accompany such a beautiful young woman,” he pressed, standing close to me.

“Please,” I said seriously. “You’re a little too close and I don’t feel like dancing right now.”

He smirked. “Then let’s go for a walk.”

“I-”

Suddenly, someone came up behind me, taking my hand in his and leading me further into the crowd. I let out a sigh of relief, looking up at my savior. He was in a dark blue suit that glimmered and a dark blue mask that covered most of his face.

“Thank you,” I said in an undertone and he smiled at me.

“I can’t blame him,” he said smoothly as we danced. “You are a beautiful young woman.”

My heart pounded and the music stopped again but was replaced with a slow ballad.

“May I have another dance with you?” he asked and I smiled with a shy nod.

He held me close as we danced and I couldn’t keep my eyes from his. There was something familiar about them but I couldn’t think of what it was. They were captivating and it didn’t take long for me to be lost in them. My body moved automatically with his, my feet shifting on their own.

“You’re a wonderful dancer,” he whispered.

I laughed. “You’re just being kind,” I said. “I’m terrible.”

He smiled. “No, you’re not.”

The music stopped and the King and Queen stood. The man didn’t leave my side as they lifted glasses.

“Thank you for coming this evening,” the King said and everyone clapped. “Please, continue enjoying yourselves.”

The orchestra started up another lively tune.

“I can’t keep up,” I said. “Thank you for the dance.”

I retreated into the crowd, hurrying to a small balcony where other people were lingering to get out of the stifling air that was the ballroom. Vera had tied my hair back with a golden thread and I was glad she did. I was already starting to sweat.

“You know, it’s not polite to leave a man without a name,” a voice said behind me and the man I had been dancing with handed me a goblet.

I smiled shyly and accepted it.

“What’s this ball for?” I asked and the man shrugged.

“The King and Queen love parties like these,” he said. “I’ve been to several. Perhaps they just felt like having one.”

I nodded thoughtfully, taking a sip. It was a delicious wine and I set the goblet down. We stood in silence, watching the stars. I felt him move closer and color crept up my neck.

“I wish you would tell me your name,” he said quietly and I looked at him.

His face was close to mine.

“That- that defeats the purpose of a masquerade, doesn’t it?” I breathed.

Again, my body seemed to move on its own and I stepped closer.

“Perhaps,” he whispered. I could feel his breath on my face. “But how am I to find you later?”

I didn’t know what to say but I wasn’t given the chance to respond. He leaned forward and pressed his lips to mine very gently, leaving me breathless. It was a quick, simple kiss but exhilarating as well.

“I- I have to go,” I gasped and left my goblet on the balcony, rushing out of the ballroom and back up to my room.

-Alexi’s POV-

I couldn’t see where she had run off to and my heart sank. For the rest of the evening I searched for her, yearning to find her again, to get her name. She had looked familiar. Something about her eyes….

“Did you enjoy yourselves?” his father asked once everyone had gone.

“It was splendid,” Vera said. Her cheeks were flushed and she looked as if she had the time of her life. “Did you dance with many women?”

“Just one,” I said distractedly. “Father, do you have a list of everyone who was here?”

“As a matter of fact, I do,” he nodded.

“May I see it tomorrow?” I asked, ignoring the hopeful look on his face. “I need to find someone.”

-Raven’s POV-

I sat in front of my mirror, my head in my hands. I groaned quietly, trying to get those amber eyes out of my head. Someone knocked on my door and I jumped.

“Come in!” I said, my voice an octave higher than normal.

Vera came in, shutting the door behind her. “Oh, Raven!” she cried, pulling me into a hug. “I had the best time! I even met a young man. He gave me his name before he left. He lives here! Did you meet anyone?” I nodded mutely. “What’s wrong?”

“He kissed me,” I said in a strangled voice and she giggled. “I don’t know his name, though.”

“Father has a list of everyone who was here. What was he wearing?”

Before I could answer, the Queen poked her head in. “Vera, your brother is asking for you.” She blinked when she saw me. “Raven? You did go to the ball! Oh wonderful! Vera said you were ill.”

“Feeling better,” I breathed, “just tired.” I bowed to the pair of them. “Good night.”

Vera waved good bye happily and I changed, washing the makeup off my face. I curled up in bed, thinking about my masked man.

“You will know the blood lust. You will feel it in every vein in your body. You will cry out for it. Yearn it! Embrace your fate!”

The room was freezing and I sat up, groggy. I rubbed my eyes and looked out the window. It was open again and I frowned, getting up to close it. I latched it shut and shivered. Just like the other night, the fireplace lit up behind me. I stared at it, my heart racing.

And, just like that, the fire went out. I hesitated before getting back in bed. I turned on my side, falling asleep quickly. Black smoke slipped in the window again, this time sweeping through the room, unseen by me.

When I woke the next morning, I didn’t remember the nightmare.