Blackstar

Seven - Cinderella and the Bite

“I don’t want to do this, Vera,” I breathed as she laced up the corset of the golden dress I wore to the ball.

“Why not?” she asked, frowning at me through the mirror.

“What if he doesn’t…?” I trailed off, tying my mask behind my head while Vera put my hair up in a ponytail.

“He talks about you all the time,” Vera assured me. “All day yesterday he was pacing his room and today he’s been practically tearing his hair out.”

“But he doesn’t know it’s me yet,” I muttered.

“You’re worried he’ll reject you?” I nodded, following her down the hall. “Look, regardless of what you think, I’ve never seen Alexi like this before. Whatever happened that night at the ball, you both lit a spark in each other.”

“Are you always such a romantic?” I laughed.

She giggled and led me to the outdoor greenhouse.

“I’ll go tell him where you are,” she said and she grinned at me. “Everything will be fine, I promise.”

Before I could say anything else, she hurried back into the palace.

I wrung my hands, looking around at all the plants. There were fruit trees along the left wall – at least five different ones. In the center were herbs and vegetables. On the right wall flowers grew. I paced by the trees nervously, admiring the apples and pears, when I heard the door open behind me and I froze.

-Alexi’s POV-

I hesitated before going into the greenhouse. Vera had made me wear the suit and mask I wore to the ball. I didn’t know why but I was too nervous to reject her. I held my breath and pushed the door open.

She was standing by the apple tree, also in the costume she wore to the ball. As I shut the door behind me, she slowly turned. Once again I found myself captivated by her beauty. I found myself trying to remember how to breathe while neither of us spoke.

“Good evening,” I choked out finally.

“Good evening,” she whispered back.

I walked forward a little, fidgeting with my tie.

“Was your journey long?” I asked, following her as she walked down the pathway that led to the back and looped around. “My sister didn’t tell me from what village you came.”

“It wasn’t long at all,” she answered.

She was avoiding my eyes and looked probably just as nervous as I was. On my way over, I had tried to think of things to say; questions to ask. But just being in her presence made my mind go blank.

She paused by the mint sprigs.

“So you’re the prince,” she said finally.

“Yes. The ball was thrown for me,” I added, deciding to be honest. “I wasn’t allowed to tell anyone, though.”

“Why was it thrown for you?” I didn’t answer, too embarrassed. “It was my first time ever being at a ball, you know.”

“Was it?”

She nodded. “I grew up in a village that didn’t have the opportunity to attend balls thrown by the King and Queen.”

“So you are from this kingdom?”

“Yes.”

She seemed saddened so I changed the subject.

“Why were you alone at the ball?” I asked, looking around at the flowers discreetly.

“What do you mean?”

“You didn’t have an escort.”

“Oh. I- Well, I live alone.”

I plucked a daisy from the bush and handed it to her with a small smile.

“That’s a shame,” I whispered and she finally looked at me, accepting the flower with a smile. “Your eyes,” I murmured, stepping closer. Her smile slowly faded as I touched her cheek. “I don’t know what it is about them….”

She looked away but didn’t move. “Princess Vera said you were looking for me.”

I laughed a little, causing her to frown. “I haven’t stopped thinking about you,” I admitted, blushing. I took my mask off. “And, to be honest, I loathe this suit.”

She giggled. “Why all the glitter?”

“It was my mother’s idea,” I grimaced and stared into her face. “Will you remove your mask?” I whispered, my heart hammering.

“I- I don’t think you want me to,” she whispered back, looking fearful.

“Of course I do,” I insisted, moving closer. “Please.”

“Prince Alexi,” she began but I reached behind her head.

She closed her eyes as I untied the thin ribbon. I let the mask fall and gasped.

Raven stood before me, slowly lowering her head. That’s why her eyes looked so familiar. How could I not have realized it sooner?

“I’m sorry I deceived you, Prince Alexi,” she whispered. “I didn’t want to tell you but Vera insisted. She said that-”

I cut her off by kissing her, my hands cupping her face. She hesitated and pulled away, looking into my eyes with an expression I couldn’t read. Outside, rain began to fall.

“I thought I told you to call me Alexi,” I breathed and she smiled.

-Raven’s POV-

He kissed me again and I felt warmth spread through my body. It was gentle, warm, and innocent. I put my hand on his chest and felt his heart beating rapidly under my palm. He wrapped one hand around my waist, the other running through my hair, as he deepened the kiss.

He opened his mouth against mine and, blushing, I allowed him to slide his tongue in. It was exhilarating and I never wanted it to end. The passion I felt as I wrapped my arms around his neck, trying to get closer, made me feel dizzy and I finally pulled away.

He rested his forehead on mine, our eyes still closed. We were both panting and he caressed my cheek.

“I’ve finally found my Cinderella,” he whispered as he hugged me.

“Cinderella?”

He laughed and I smiled, enjoying the feeling of the vibrations through his chest.

“It’s a fairy tale,” he explained, “about a beautiful maiden running from a Prince.” He stepped back and frowned. “Why did you run from me?”

I sighed. “I was scared,” I admitted and he held both of my hands in his. “I’m just a hand-maiden.”

“No,” he said firmly and I met his eyes. “You’re much more than that.”

We spent the rest of the evening in the greenhouse, sitting on the stone bench and listening to the rain. He held my hand as we made small talk, mostly about the plants.

“I helped plant the trees,” he told me.

“The apples look magnificent.”

He got up and plucked two. He handed me one and I smiled, biting into it.

“I’ve never had one sweeter,” I complimented, wiping the juice off my chin shyly.

“Our chef, Tilda, who I think you’ve met, has special fertilizer she uses,” he told me. “She won’t tell us what’s in it, but it greatly increases the quality of what it helps grow.” He sighed heavily. “Great. We’re being watched.”

He nodded to my right and I looked over just in time to see the Queen and Vera back away from the window. I laughed.

“Vera hounded me all day,” I said, shaking my head in amusement. “At first I didn’t want to follow through.”

“Why?”

“I don’t feel like I’m….” I stopped, trying to think of the right word.

“Worthy?” he suggested and I nodded. He took my hand in his again. “I wouldn’t care if you were a beggar on the streets.” I smiled at him. “Come. Let’s go inside. We don’t want to deprive my mother and sister of being able to gush over us.”

I laughed as we stood. “And so I can get out of this dress. She really tied that corset on tight.”

He laughed, too. “I’m going to burn this suit the minute I get the chance.”

The minute we entered the palace, the Queen and Vera were waiting for us, large grins plastered on their faces.

“It’s good to know we had some privacy,” he said sarcastically and I laughed.

We all went to the dining hall for dinner, the King, Queen, and Vera all shooting me and Alexi large grins. I couldn’t stop blushing and wished they would stop. Alexi walked me to my room and kissed me lightly.

“Sleep well,” he whispered.

“And you,” I returned and slipped into my room, grinning from ear to ear.

“I’ve been waiting for this moment.” I froze in fear, my hand on the doorknob. I made to turn it but the disembodied voice laughed. “Do you really think I’d let you out that easily, Blackstar? Hmm…. It’s good to know you’ve finally let your guard down. This will make everything so much easier.”

“Please just leave me alone,” I whimpered. “And my name is Raven.”

A cold blast of air swept through the room.

“Oh no, my dear, it is not.” Something touched my neck and I cried out, trying to move away. The voice sighed in longing. “Soon. Very soon. The day is coming when I shall be reunited with you. But for now, it must begin.”

Without warning, I felt a searing pain in my neck and I screamed falling to my knees. The room was filled with the black smoke and I tried desperately to keep my eyes open; to fight off whatever it was.

“You have my bite,” the voice said evilly. “You belong to me. You will serve me. The day is coming,” it repeated and suddenly the room was clear again.

I crawled over to my vanity, tears of pain and fear streaming down my face. I looked in the mirror and gasped. There were bite marks on my neck and blood was running down my chest. I groped for a handkerchief just as someone pounded on my door.

“Open up!” I heard Vera yell. “Please, open your door!”

I struggled to my feet and used the wall for support. I opened the door to see the royal family gathered, eyes wide. Alexi rushed to me, looking at my neck with wide eyes.

“What happened?” the Queen gasped as Alexi dabbed at the blood gently.

Crying, I told them what happened.

“It kept calling me Blackstar,” I cried.

“I can’t get the bleeding to stop,” Alexi said in frustration. “I need bandages.”

Vera hurried out of the room.

“I’m sorry,” I whispered.

“Don’t be,” the king said firmly. He was by my windows. “They’re all locked. The guards said there wasn’t anyone around.”

“I’m scared,” I admitted.

Vera was back with the bandages and she brought extra towels to soak up the blood. Alexi worked carefully so as to not hurt me. His eyes were burning with anger.

-Alexi’s POV-

“We will find out who did this to you,” I said, my voice shaking in rage. “But you’re not to be alone any longer.”

“She can sleep with me,” my sister said.

I finally managed to stop the bleeding and wrapped the bandage around her neck a few times. She looked exhausted and leaned into me.

I thought to the books I had borrowed from Orrin. I hadn’t started reading the one about vampires but I knew enough from legends.

“Am I going to turn into a vampire?” she whispered and I shook my head.

“Not if I can help it,” I said firmly and my family agreed.

“I guess you got more than you bargained for,” she joked to my parents and my father smiled kindly.

“Get some rest,” my father said and I helped her into Vera’s bed.

“I’ll stay with you until you fall asleep,” I promised as Vera went to bathe.

Her eyes were already closing, though, and soon she was fast asleep. I sighed and brushed the hair out of her face.

“What are we going to do, Alexi?” Vera whispered, coming out in a nightgown and running a brush through her damp hair.

I shook my head, feeling useless. “I have a book on vampires,” I said slowly. “I can read up on them.”

“I’ve heard rumors of a coven to the south,” Vera said, getting into bed. “What if they’re the ones attacking her?”

I clenched my jaw as Raven whimpered in her sleep. “Then we’ll find them and make them pay.” I stood up. “You sure you’ll be fine in here by yourself?”

Vera smiled and nodded. “Go get rest, brother.”

But when I got to my bedroom, resting was the last thing on my mind. I lit a few candles and built a fire. I sat in the armchair beside the fireplace and opened the book Orrin had let me borrow and started to read.