The Great Sea Quellin and Other One Chapter Average Stories

Fatima's Curse

And the good things don't last in life. You didn't last. And I was alone once again.

Later however, there was a call back, and an eager interview. They promised me hope and life and strength and the pieces fell together perfect in my eyes.

When mother came home, she branded her thoughts with anger. My mom couldn't believe I would take a job where once a week the time to clock in was at three in the morning. She dragged on. Everything about the job was not right for me.

Sitting still and staring at the bowl of peas was all I could do to not burst out crying. Nineteen years into my life brought me this: a mother constantly complaining about how I didn't have a job; me, filling applications every week since I home for the summer and finally getting an interview.

"But mom, I've lived nineteen years in this kind of world, I know the dangers! The three in the morning is only once a week!"

"Someone, some nasty person, will find you. Bad people are out at that time! They'll figure out when you get there! You'll have to unlock the store, and someone could push you inside and violate you!"

My mother thinks someone will rape me.

That is the problem with life. I will be raped.

I can move boxes. I can put things on shelves. But, without a doubt, I will be raped.

I will be raped if I am at the backside of my workplace unloading a truck.

I will be raped because someone will start stalking me at three in the morning.

And my mother did not have faith in me.

She thought that I wouldn't be willing to bite someone until their flesh ripped in my teeth.

She thought I had a problem with screaming, and had no defense skills.

She thinks as a future police officer, I would let myself get raped before I died.

I would go as far as to kill someone if they looked at me the wrong way and I was in danger.

I would rip a person from limb to limb if I had to.

I am strong.

But I will get raped.

I will get raped, no matter what I do.

And I can't tell you any of this because you left me.

Sadly, you're the only one who would understand.

I denied the job offer that night.