The Bandit and the Princess

2- Seeing the Town and Grieving

EIGHTEEN YEARS OLD

"Uncle Treyson, I cannot make an appearance!" I nearly cry out.

Three days ago, my father died. Two days before that, an assassin appeared and poisoned his tea. A day before that, we got a threat from the Rebels, the witches of the South Cave. They are the reason my mother is dead and the cause for my father's death. He made me swear not to take vengeance and to rule as he would, with justice and a fairness.

"I am ruling in your shoes until you are of age. You should listen to me and understand that I am trying to help you. Your image with the people means much more than you think, my dear Ayanna." His tall, lean form walks towards me, his gray eyes, the symbol of the royals, flash darker for a second as he looks at me.

Being a copy of my father doesn't help the case. With my long blonde hair, loose and in waves, my arrogant features and my gray, almost blue eyes stare back at him. My tall body and slender frame are form my mother but my hidden muscles are something I luckily got from father. My narrow shoulders and my long legs are another lucky trait that my mother gave me so I don't look too masculine.

Father used to joke with me about using me as a mirror. He would tell me to stand still and then brush his hair from his face as if he really was using me as a mirror.

"I know my image means much to them but he... he...daddy-" I begin crying, unable to finish my sentence because of the on-slot of emotions. He was all I had. Well, him and Nika, my lion. It was a gift for my twelfth birthday.

All the memories I had with dad rush through me like I'm a small pebble in a strong river. It crushes me and i feel as if I'm drowning. The times he has protected me from the younger guards, the times he has made sure I wasn't sick by abandoning his duties, the times where I told him my feelings about men.

Sobs rack my body and I slide down on my knees, unable to handle standing anymore. My legs too weak to hold my body. The black dress fans around my legs and I snap my eyes shut, hoping to trap the tears behind them. I feel a warm hand on my shoulder before I am pulled into a hug.

"My dear Ayanna," Uncle Treyson coos. "Please stop crying. No one like to see their future queen crying. Even if she is still the princess. The guards will cry soon and we don't want to show the kingdom that even the guards are weak, now do we?"

"Uncle Treyson, he was all I had!" I cry out, my voice stuttering and broken from the sobs. He doesn't understand. None of them do.

He was all I had. The only person who cared to stay. He promised he would stay and then he died.

"I know, my princess. I know. But we are all here for you. We feel your grief, your pain, your sorrow. We will be the shoulders you cry on if need be. Now, let us go and see the kingdom, they need to see their princess. It is the only way to keep the kingdom happy and united."

I nod and he helps me stand. A few maids run in and try to freshen me up but they must not succeed very well because they sigh and apply coverage. Treyson walks me out of the room before my personal guard walks up and offers me his arm.

"Ethan, I don't think I will survive the whole tour," I speak softly, just loud enough for only him to hear. "I am dying enough as it is right now."

"You will be fine, my highness. I trust that you put Nika in his correct spot?"

I look Ethan over and see his brown head of hair is slicked back, his green eyes are as sharp as ever and his muscle packed body firm. His uniform is in perfect condition and his sword seems to be polished. Ethan is the son of my father's previous guard. The joke between all the guards is that their lineage goes back centuries with my lineage. That all the Blackwell family has protected the Treyson family. Even during times when we were declared traitors and frauds and many other names.

"Yes, Guardian Blackwell. Nika is in his correct spot. He seems sad every time I go and see him."

"He doesn't like seeing his owner crying and upset. No one does. All the guards feel your pain, you know."

I Look at my shoes as Ethan guides us down the hall. Guilt floods through me.
'I am sorry, Guardian Blackwell, I never meant to cause you pain. Can you forgive me?"

I hear him give off a small, humor filled laugh. "My highness, there is no way they couldn't forgive you. They grew up with you and they watched you grow up. All of them love you. If you even make an appearance around them they will smile and be in a better mood." He looks behind for a second and a frown adorns his sharp features.

"What is it, Guardian Blackwell?" I ask, slowly composing my emotions. I feel a numbness take over. I can grieve later but for now, my people need me.

"Why is the Duke following us?"

"He wants to make sure that I actually go and see my people, not say I am then run off and disappear."

Ethan nods and we effortlessly walk down the steps. I see the maids and guards lift their head in shock at my appearance. I plaster on a small smile and nod towards them. They seem happier now. The large oak doors open and the sight in front of me is the town of Sardona, the largest city in Barbona. I hear the gasps and shocked murmurs as I step onto the balcony. I look over the people of the city and some watch me back in slight admiration. My grieving clothes obvious but the smile on my face is comforting.

I look to Ethan and see him nod. He helps me walk down the stone stairs and towards the increasing crowd of people. They swarm around us, sorrowful and apologetic smiles are all I receive since guards make sure none of them get to close to me. I nod towards a couple of the more noble men and they grin.

"My people, I am sorry for my absence. As you might be able to tell, I have felt the loss of my father strongly. Thankfully, Duke Treyson will help by taking my place until my rightful age to be queen. I will still hold parties and court but I do not have full say in what will happen for the next three years. I understand the issue that you all might have about the Duke taking my father's place but rest be assured, I will oversee it all. I have also made sure that our alliances with other countries are strong so we have no fear of a battle or war with another kingdom."

I give them a brief run down and see a few noblemen step forward and talk to the guards about their status so they can talk to me. Ethan's grip on my arm tightens as a visiting noblemen steps froward, a devious smirk on his face.

"Your highness, I hear nothing of how you can ensure the safety of us all. I am a foreign diplomat who was here under your father's words. Now that your Uncle is ruling in your name, what do you suppose I do then?"

I smile even wider. "You are welcome to do whatever you please. If you must leave because you feel uncomfortable under my rule, then I am sorry, but you are clearly welcome to stay. I have never asked someone to leave and hopefully will never have to."

I see his jaw clench before he gives me a forced smile. "I see, your highness. I must tell my King about what happened here, so I will take my leave."

He turns on his heels and walks away stiffly. A frown immediately takes place. I have a strong feeling that he will talk to his king about the problem here and his king will declare war. A few noblemen finally get through the guards and walk up to me, competing on getting to me first. I feel Ethan tense up beside me and I plaster a new smile on my face. A genuine friendly smile.

"My highness, we are all sorry for your loss. If there is anything we can do to help, please ask us."

"Don't worry, Alan, I can manage a kingdom. It is what my father taught me."

Alan frowns and bows respectively. "I know, your highness. Forgive my rudeness."

I reach out and place my hand on his shoulder. All the noblemen gap in shock at my openness towards the nobleman.

"I don't see how you have been rude. You simply asked for me to tell you when I need help. There is nothing wrong with that. I am happy to know that you all still care."

Alan grabs my hand, quickly looks at Ethan, then meets my eyes. "This whole kingdom would rather die than let you be sad again, your highness. We love you too much to allow you to wallow in sorrow again. If anything ever does happen, just remember that we are all here for you."

I nod my head and feel the tips on my smile fight to turn down. I abandon the people who love me but in my defense, I lost the one person who was close to me. I wasn't even close to my mother.
'Thank you, Alan."

He grins and releases my hand. "Your welcome, your highness. I do hope you feel happy again soon."

I look at Ethan as Alan walks away. May we take a stroll through town? I really need to get my mind off of this... this sadness."

He nods and we begin walking deeper into town. The castle would sit at the outskirts of the town, near the edge of the beginning of the forest. Every step gives me a new sense of happiness and hope. The loving and friendly smiles making my heart warm up.

"I wanted to talk to you about training again, Ayanna." Ethan whispers, leaning close to my ear so I can hear what he says due to the loud noises of town, the exact opposite of the castle.

"I want to but my schedule just got busy all the time. I have no idea how father could spend as much time with me as he did." I tell him honestly.

"You know tricks of ruling the kingdom. You know things your uncle doesn't. You can trick him into doing simple things and don't tell me you've never tricked anyone before. I have seen you trick your instructor to let you use real arrows and use get out of training early. I have also seen you trick your father into getting you new books. You aren't as sweet as you act, my dear Ayanna. I see you blackmail people and act innocent. Your father knew this and he also knew you would always use your traits for the right reasons."

I grin. "Looks like I haven't used my ability on you yet. Should I change that?" I smile and wave to a mother of four. "I will gladly trick you into sneaking me into the prison again."

"They felt your absence the most. I never would have thought that all the dangerous men you have fallen for your charm."

"Almost all of them. A few of them don't like me still and I heard we got a new prisoner recently. I haven't met him yet."

"You won't like him, your highness. He's a thief, a crook, a murderer."

I give him a look only to see that he is serious. "How dangerous?"

"Enough that I don't want you to even see him. He killed King Morganson's youngest boy. Shame too. He would've been a good companion for you."

"Wait, King Morganson?! He is the most peaceful of the kings! Why would anyone want to make him sad?"

"I don't know, your highness. He killed a royal and I don't want to even risk him setting his sights on you. He was rumored to have trained with the assassins in the Dark Forest and learned poisons from the Fae. I would recommend not talking to him, princess."

I nod and flashing in a smile. "I won't go, I promise."

Ethan gives me a look that makes me feel as if he knows that I am lying.

"If you go down there, at least let me escort you so I now you are well protected."

I nod and our conversation ends there. Our walk through the town is calming my nerves and helps the sadness. I missed my people and I miss the happiness that comes from them even at my darkest moments. The little flowers the kids give me, the hugs from the well known mothers, the smiles and nods from the husbands. The supportive hug from my old friend. I bought a few treats for the guards and danced with the people in the center of town. I can see the happiness in the people come back and the absence of my father slowly filling with the love from my people.

"My dear Ayanna, we need to go back," Ethan suddenly speaks up when I am watching the towns people dance. "Nika has decided to escape."

I look at Ethan with slight shock. "What? I swore I put him away correctly!"

"He has been following your trail. It seems to me that he wants you."

I nod and follow Ethan back to the castle. I finally realize the time by the setting sun. I have spend over half a day in the town, with my people. I must do it more often. It is nice to see them.