A Place to Lay My Head

Flight Into Egypt

Didyme kept everything inside and even though she tried—it all fell apart.
What it meant to her will eventually be a memory of a time when…
She tried so hard…got so far…but in the end…it doesn’t even matter…
Nineteen years…nineteen years of patience…hollow cordial discussions and fake pleasantries the smile she forced upon her lips and so many words swallowed for the sake of love. She’d bitten her tongue so many times she once thought that she’d lose the extremity.
Each time, her dearest brother, made a condescending statement; mocked, or displayed his cruelty she bared it. It was all apart of a bigger plan; a diplomatic tactic to keep the peace. Her niece deserved as much, even, if it hurt Alexandra to see her aunt bend her knee to appeased Aro. Didyme always knew that it was all apart of the bigger plan…keeping Alexandra safe.
Now that plan seemed to shrivel up in the wind of disappointment and bitterness.
Standing outside her brother’s sanctuary the quietly spoken words registered in her consciousness for the first time—she doubted her resolve.
“Her existence will no longer plague my name.”
Oh, how she wished that she remained ignorant! To remain in the blissful heaven of stupidity! Already she could feel the responsibility of hearing her brother’s words fall upon her shoulders.
“…after all I began this science project it is only right that I finished it to the end.”
He eyes squeezed shut if her heart could beat it would have stuttered to a complete stop. She couldn’t move, breath, or speak a word in fear that she’d be heard. There was no doubt in her mind that if Aro knew that she overheard their conversation she’d be executed. A decree created centuries ago demanded that every immortal that came to Aro, Marcus, or Caius’s private wing make themselves known to their masters. Hearing things that one ought not to hear was punishable by death.
Though fear stilled her body a deeply rooted shock paralyzed her—she knew that her brother had become more brutal and merciless as each day passed but to plot in the death of one’s own offspring was…demonic. Only a creature truly tainted would do such a thing—it was stained with the darkest intention.
“Very soon.”
The absolute assurance in his voice jump started her body back into action with the stealth and ease of an experienced predator she departed from the hallway and from her brother’s wing unnoticed…. Nevertheless, one immortal noticed her presence—a creature with his own intentions and ambitions.
Finally, within her mate's wing she slammed herself against the stone wall—panting—her need for oxygen was not why—she was panicking.
Her mind was racing at a speed that she could barely keep up with.
“Very soon.”
There was only one thing—Alexandra had to leave.
On instinct her legs began to take her into the direction of her mate—she had to tell h--.
She paused.
Again, she closed her eyes in agony at the direction of her thoughts…she couldn’t tell her mate.
It had nothing to do with trust, but more of his involvement in what she was about to do that could lead to his death, as well as, her own demise.
Even the smallest implications of his involvement could be seen as treason—Didyme could not do that to her true love if her plan was discovered she’d die alone; she would not drag Marcus down with her. With ease, she turned on her heel and raced down the hallways towards her niece’s room.
She made sure to slow down as each immortal passed her form—watching them from the corner of her eye with suspicion. No one was to be trusted; each immortal in this castle beside Marcus, Alexandra, and herself were Aro’s puppets—he pulled the strings of each body that resided within this castle.
Very soon
The words reverberated within her like a horrific mantra the intentions behind the two simple words were clear.
Venom filled her eyes.
“All for nothing,” she snarled, recalling all the instances where she tried to protect her beloved niece, “in the end it matters not.”
She should have come to this conclusion years ago—any nonessential to Aro was quickly disposed of, she was sure her brother would have done away with her if it wasn’t for her connection to Marcus.
At last she reached her niece's room; however, panic shook her bones as she found the room empty.
Very soon.
“No!” she whispered brokenly.
Frantic ruby iris scurried the room for life—listen distinctively for a hummingbird heartbeat throughout the castle. Instantly, she left the room she followed her niece's floral scent weaving through bodies like they were never there. The entrance to the gardens came into view and the gentle humming brought her to her sweet niece’s form. Sitting by the small waterfall fountain her fingers drifting across the water surface—a soft tune on her lips.
Didyme desired more than anything to enjoy such a rare sight—after all, this would be the last time she saw her niece for a sometime…but time was of the essence. Darting over to her nieces’ side she expected the child to jump but as usual, Alexandra was already aware of her presence.
Turning lazy eyes, she nodded and allowed her aunt to pull her into the deepest part of the castle within the lower area that was rarely used.
“Didy--”
“Hush! We must talk somewhere private,” Didyme rushed out.
Confusion was in her gaze; nodding absently as she allowed her aunt to pull her into the deepest part of the castle within the lower area that was rarely used.
Alexandra watched as her aunt looked around the closed off room dubiously.
“Didyme, what is going on?” she asked gently not wishing to startle to already distraught looking creature.
“You must leave,”
With a frown, she responded, “What?”
“You must leave this castle tonight my sweet! Your very life depends on it.”
“You’re not making any sense,” Alexandra hissed, her own rising panic causing her words to come out hasher than she desired.
“Aro means to take your life.”
“My father…”
“Wants you dead!”
Didyme finished knowing that she should be more tactful but the situation called for such bluntness.
“I—overheard him talking with Caius and his plans on destroying you…”
Very soon.
Hanging her head, she breathed in through her nose releasing a slow breath from between her lips calm herself, “I understand he’s disappointed in me--”
Growling deep within her throat, she grasped her niece's chin and leveled Alexandra’s eye’s to her own.
“Do you trust me?” a simple nod was her answer.
“Your father is not the man that he once was. His thirst for dominance and grandeur has made him blind and corrupt. Absolute power absolutely,” making her tone more gently she finally spoke the words that she truly desired to speak, “He’s so blinded by his quest for supremacy; that a veil has fallen over his eyes; he can’t see what beauty and perfection he has before him.”
“But to kill me…” Alexandra voice cracking at the truth that shinned within her eyes. She couldn’t deny her aunt’s words; knew that she would never make up something that had the potential to destroy Alexandra emotionally.
“He’s done almost worse in this life; you must trust me and flee, run as far as you can, out of your father’s reach,” at the shake of her head Didyme unknowingly tightened her fingers on the child’s chin, “You must!”
“Where will I go? What will I do…please, auntie, there must be another way?” Alexandra pleaded. Her home may be hell but it was her own personal hell that she was accustomed to.
Didyme rarely displayed her true ferocity; however, when it came to her niece she could kill, “I will not watch you die!”
She snarled venom flicking onto her face causing the younger half human to blink in surprise, “The disgusting beast will not snuff out such goodness from this world. You will leave tonight; I have a three hundred thousand dollars that I will give you. No credit card, no ATMs, and avoid camera’s if possible. Cover your face whenever in the public eye so that no one will recognize you…”
The information her aunt gave was so much to take in and her mind still reeled at the fact that she was being told to leave. Yet, she had to choice but to soak in all that her aunt told her.
“…pack your bags and leave under the cover of the night. Get on the first plane that you see and make no decisive decisions; Aro may try to use the Cullen girl to find you.”
As Didyme continued to rant off instructions slow tears began to pour down Alexandra’s face, slow in their descent, “How will you know where I am if I don’t make any decisions? Do I write you?”
“No,” was Didyme’s firm answer causing the tears to thicken and drip from her chin, “Aro could see my memories and thoughts at anytime—I will find you Alexandra I promise.”
The severity of the situation was summed up in the use of her full name. Her aunt rarely used her birth name preferring pet names that changed often.
“Look at me, Alexandra.”
“You're sending me away.”
“I’m protecting you.”
“By sending me away.”
“Yes, I have to or— ”
“Am I not deserving of love?”
Didyme’s eyes became pained as she reached out of her niece who instantly stepped back from her reach—a small noise similar to a wounded animal built in the back of her aunt’s throat at her rejection.
“Everyone abandons me,” was her snarled reply years of bitterness and mistreatment darkening her eyes, “my mother’s dead, father apparently plots my death, my uncle can barely stay in my presence more than five minutes, and my aunt sends me away. Who is more of an example of one not deserving of love than I?”
Bowing her head, a long sob tore from Didyme’s chest; the anguish that she felt at her niece’s words making her heart heavy and body sway. She opened her mouth to rebuff her niece’s ideals of her own self-worth as well as Marcus and her feelings.
“When do I need to leave?” she rushed dismissing whatever words of sentiment that hung on her aunt’s tongue.
Swallowing her words, knowing that they didn’t have much time, she answered, “Tonight, around midnight, it gives you enough time to pack and for me to create an alibi for myself during your disappearance. Niece…”
“I’ll go pack,” with those sharp words her niece disappeared quicker than Didyme expected.
“I’m sorry, little bird, it’ll get better soon.”
With the forlorn sigh she headed towards the tower where Aro and Caius's wives resided; she absolutely loathed the company of such vain women, but she knew that she’d be welcomed there. They would confirm her presence there; however, to ease suspicion she’ll also sit in on the trails beside Marcus.

. . . . . . . .

One long bag sat at the foot of her bed with a combination of her clothes, money, and some of her most precious possessions. Her staring forward at nothing with dead eyes, legs swinging over the edge of her bed was how anyone could have found Alexandra Volturi.
“You must leave”
Her aunt had said that her name’s day would be memorable. She never thought that in a day that she would be losing her home.
Home.
At one point she must have felt welcomed here—expected. That her father had loved her during her conception and when she had taken her first breath.
But did he hated her so much that he wished for her death?
She knew that he was disappointed with her—for she took on more of her mother’s essence than his. Mortal than immortal.
But even that assessment wasn’t true. To her, she was growing more into her immortality and though the raiment’s of her mortal heritage was still there. She was becoming a perfect balance of both worlds as each day passed. Yet, her father had forsaken her that she saw no purpose to reveal such to him.
The only time that she could without a doubt felt the love from her parents was that of her mother. She had felt her love, warmth, and protected while she grew within her womb.
There were moments where she had wished her mother had survived or that she perished along with her. Either way, she wouldn’t have been abandon by one parent.
A silent tear came forth and she couldn’t find the strength to wrap it away.
“You must leave.”
Her aunt and uncle.
They had taken the roles of her parents; providing for her as much as they could, but still not feeling that void that had grew within her during the years.
“I will not watch you die!”
Never in her life had she seen her aunt express raw fear and disgust. It was so outside her character—a woman who only brought happiness could be so shaken and fearful.
The chime of the bell could be heard in the distance.
It was time for Alexandra departure.
To say that she was nervous was an understatement—her heart was humming and terror seems to be chocking her at this moment. Nineteen years, this place had been her home (dysfunction but home) and now she was leaving. Where? She had no idea. But the single most entity was when she left this room she was leaving away the sad and bitter girl-child and leaving as a woman. Maybe, this was the gods sending her this message.
She looked once more around her gilded cage and proceed to leave—not once did she dare to look back.
The thing about being unwanted—no one would care that you’re gone. With the power and title that her father has it would mean that she, Alexandra, being his child, should have been well protected. But when you are unwanted; why have guards protect someone as useless as she, when they could be used effectively somewhere else?
Disheartening, still it made escaping from the castle quite easy then she had expected. Once again, Alexandra, found herself a pawn in the cruel game of the Sisters Fates.
Remembering her aunts warning about keeping a low profile she eased through the airport. She didn’t know where she was going but as she moved quickly to the counter the sharp warnings of her aunt seem to tug at her even shaper.
The paranoia that maybe—just maybe her father had found out about her presence being missing. That he was sending out his guards preferably a faceless guard with no value the worst being Demetri, Felix, Jane, and Alec; her father’s favorites. She could simply imagine them forcing her back and having to deal with the wrath that her father might bring to her. From her aunt expression and confession, death would surely be the outcome of her fate.
Collective and filled with the grace she asked for a ticket to the next plane out of Italy—in simplest words she had expressed somewhere hot and sunny, whichever one that suited her fancy, she did not care that this woman might have thought her weird in actions.
But her aunt's warning kept ringing within her and wildness of her imagination did not settle the fear that was creeping within her. She just needed to be on the next plane and deal with the details later on.
Now was the time of flight.
Before the woman said the words of the destination Alexandra abruptly agreed to pull out her money to pay.
With the ticket in her hands and making her way through TSA; her fear simmered down when she was on her flight and several feet in the air.
Everything felt as though she was in a daze. She was looking at herself separately yet physically there. Her world was burning and crashing into destruction. Her comfort of what she knew was diluted all this time. Her words from her aunt came to mind: “my mother’s dead, father apparently plots my death, my uncle can barely stay in my presence more than five minutes, and my aunt sends me away.”
Her aunt…the woman that was more mother than the aunt, the woman that had loved and protected her—how much had she kept from her? Did she truly loved her or was she simply entertaining the whims of the Halfling…?
She stopped her thoughts.
She could never question her aunt love. It was as simply as knowing the sun and moon—that was her aunts’ love for her.
“I will find you, Alexandra, I promise.”
Didyme’s words brought her strength that she wouldn’t be forgotten—not by her and that was the little hope she needed in this new chapter in her life.
She looked down at her ticket at the name of her destination.
Despite the ill situation, she was currently in there was humor in every situation one found themselves. It brought about a memory of her aunt telling her a tale from her childhood; “…flee to Egypt, and stay there until I bring you world.”
Egypt had been the sanctuary for the holy family at one time—then maybe it would be her sanctuary for her.