I Know You

Cause I never get it right

Donald Ressler; 5 years later

“Why are you bringing in someone from the outside to be my new partner?” I question Harold Cooper. “I get it, you’re the big honcho but do you think we can trust this person? We don’t know how many other agents were under the Kabal’s influence.”

“I know this agent personally,” he starts to explain. “I’ve worked with her before this task force was even created. She’s spent the bulk of her career specializing in counterterrorism. She was once upon a time part of the Counterterrorism Fly Team and spent the last year and a half working with the Genocide and War Crimes Unit. She’s highly trained and highly talented. She’s more than qualified for this. Besides that, you need a new partner. You and Agent Navabi not being able to be in the same room without arguing isn’t good for the team.”

“Don’t I get a say in this?” I ask him. “How do I know if I can trust this girl?”

“She’s coming in later today to meet the task force,” he informs me. “I highly suggest you be at the meeting. Because Agent Danvers will become your partner whether you want her to or not.” He dismisses me from his office. I just roll my eyes before heading down the stairs where the rest of the team is.

“What was that all about?” Aram asks. “Is this about the new agent that’s joining the team?”

“You know about that?” I ask him. But before he can say anything, the elevator doors open revealing a brunette accompanied by two agents of our own.

“Ah, you’re here!” Cooper exclaims as he walks down the stairs. “Everyone I’ll like to introduce to you our new agent; Special Agent Lennon Danvers.” My heart skips a beat when the brunette walks out from behind the rather big guys in front of her. In the last five years, she hasn’t changed; she’s still as pretty as ever.

She’s smiling but as Cooper introduces everyone. But as soon as he gets to me, her smile drops. Her eyes gloss up. The last time I saw her, things didn’t end well. We got in a fight and I haven’t spoken to her since.

“Hey, Lennon.” I say, once the commotion died down. “It’s been awhile.”

“I guess it has been, Ressler.” I agrees. Her tone is short. She obviously hasn’t forgiven me for letting a case get between us.

“So what made you take this job?”

“Cooper offered it to me and I couldn’t turn it down; working under him was awesome. I couldn’t turn down working for him again. Plus I really wanted to work with Elizabeth Keen.”

“And why is that?” I question her.

“I was rooting for her through that whole manhunt for her,” she replies with a shrug. “I knew she was innocent. I was just waiting for you and the rest of the agency to get it too.”

“So how much of this task force do you know about?”

“I know Red Reddington is involved in this task force if that’s what you’re wondering about.” She replies. “You finally got your man, how does it feel? Was it worth it?”

“It wasn’t worth losing you as a friend, if that’s what you’re wondering.” I mimic her before a wave of awkwardness washes upon us. “So Genocide and War Crimes Unit, huh? Never pictured you doing something like that. I thought you wanted to do something like Violent Crimes.”

“I’m not the same girl I once was,” she informs me. “I’ve changed. There is a lot you don’t know about me. I’m not that pathetic little girl you were friends with.”

“You weren’t pathetic,” I counter. “You kicked more ass than I ever could.” She just chuckles. “How about we catch up sometime? Go out for that overpriced coffee you love so much?”

She smiles but before she can respond, a voice cuts her off.

“So you must be Special Agent Danvers!” That voice, Reddington’s voice, exclaims. “So beautiful for an agent that focuses on the mass deaths and victims of war crimes.”

“Thank you?” Lennon didn’t know how to respond to that.

“I’ve learned all about you, Lennon.” Reddington informs her. “Had to be sure I could trust you. Can’t trust too many people in this agency.”

“I’ve heard about the Kabal.” She states. “But I’ve spent the last year and a half travelling the world. And all those people involved, I had no direct contact with. So yes Mister Reddington, you can trust me. I’ve trained to take down those kind of people. People…”

“Like me?” He smirks. “I know. But you need me, Agent Danvers. You need me to get to the bigger fish in the sea.”

“I know that or else I wouldn’t be here.”

“You’re going to be a pleasure to work with, I can tell.” He chuckles before giving the rest of us his attention. “I have a case that will interest you and give Lennon the perfect introduction to what our little group does…”

“You ready?” I ask her, causing her to roll her eyes. “Stupid question. I know.”

“Glad you know..” She chuckles before giving her undivided attention to the man in front of us...
♠ ♠ ♠
comment&subscribe?