Luna Roja

Wolf

Maria lead them back safely, but as Roja hopped out of the buggy a shot fired and she found Maria was lifeless on the ground. "Maria!" Roja yelled running and kneeling but she could see she was gone.

"Roja!" Al called out as he pulled his gun and aimed at the shooter but Nero was faster and shot Al in the knee. Roja went to run to him when she looked around to find she was surrounded.

She stood over Al protectively but with her hands in the air. Her eyes glaring at Finn who was steadily walking closer gun drawn.

"You" Roja growled lowering her arms

"You brought it on yourself Red!" He yelled.

"But why Maria! She didn't have to die! " Roja snapped. "Anyone will to follow you does, you and that monster Tsume both" Finn spoke dully.

Roja could feel her heart racing but kept the fear off her face. She slowly moved her hand towards her skirt. "Roja! Run!" Al shouted grabbing his gun he fired at random, Roja slipped her revolver out of her skirt, dove and rolled to get out of the way. Most ran. Leaving Nero, Finn, Roja and a dead Al as Nero filled Al's body with bullets.

"No!" Roja gasped firing a shot at Nero wounding his shoulder and another hitting his hip. He keeled in pain and Roja made a run for it.

But Finn fired and the bullet struck Roja's side. The unexpected pain threw Roja's body aside and to the ground. She yelped and quickly rolled to face Finn who was inching closer.

"Finn!" Came a deep snarl.

Looking up Roja's eyes landed on "Tsume!" She called. Finn turned ready to fire, but Tsume was fast, faster than Finn could recall him having been before. And in a instant, Tsume was on Finn.

Roja couldn't make out the quick movements but next, Finn was on the floor, blood gushing from his new k as his eyes were fixed on Tsume in horror as he lay dying.

Tsume growled as he gazed down at him. His eyes darting to Nero who tried to run, he too looked terrified at Tsume. "I got him!" Toboe called quickly assuming wolf form he lunged at Nero, it was a quick end.

Roja's vision was doubled, and she could clearly hear snarls and screams coming from the other few still around who had betrayed her.

Tsume rushed to her and scooped her up in his arms. "Tsume?" She asked he nodded stiffly "You're late" Roja laughed her voice shaking.

"Tsume! We got extra guests!" a voice called of which Roja hadn't heard of before. "Noble guards" a calmer voice called. Tsume held Roja tighter and nodded. "Right let's get going!" He called. Darting off into the night.

----
----

Roja was fading in and out but the time Tsume stopped running. He laid her down on the ground and Roja could feel something large furry and familiar slid under her head.

Tsume lifted Roja's jacket and taking his long pointed fingers reached into the shot wound and pulled out the bullet. Roja screamed. "Ouch! My ears!" Someone yelped. "Shut up porky!" Tsume snapped on edge.

He applied pressure to the wound and looked down at Roja's half lided eyes.

Roja smiled, but in faded to shock as she finally saw it, her vision of Tsume shifted in trembling eyesight, from Man to a large grey wolf.

She exhaled and with smiled bitterly. "So... was that... all it....was?" She whispered. "All this time....And it makes" her voice was fading "perfect sense" her voice was all but gone "now" Roja's eyes finally closed the image of the grey wolf imprinted in her fading thoughts.

Tsume watched her wide eyed, his gaze then turned to one of deep thought. "Is she?" Toboe asked from were hey lay as a living pillow. "No" Tsume answered quickly, returned to his aloof self.

Hige whimpered holding his ears. "I think I'm deaf!" He cried gaining a glared from Tsume. Kiba watched Roja intently and then looked to Tsume.

"Tsume" Kiba called slowly. "We need to leave soon" he said. Tsume growled deeply and scooped Roja back up. "I am not leaving" he said, standing he turned his back to the pack and started to walk off "You guys can do what you want" he grunted.

Toboe looked between Kiba, Hige and Tsume before quietly following after him.

----
----

Tsume lay Roja down on the cot. He unzipped her jacket and threw it to the side. A book fell out with a small thud. By he paid little attention to it.

"Whoa! Tsume...." Toboe gasped looking over Roja's body. "She's covered in scars..." Toboe looked up at Tsume "just like you!....even that one there" Toboe pointed to the middle of Roja's chest to the small X shaped scar.

Tsume didn't reply, he got up and walked to the window.

Unable to shake the thought, that if he hadn't left when he did. This situation felt all to familiar.

Tsume rested a hand on his chest. The only difference is, Roja wouldn't attack him for abandoning her and the gang.

Toboe spotted the book on the floor and went to pick it up. "Hey, I've seen this before" Toboe said showing Tsume. "Huh?" Tsume asked taking it in his hands.

A corner of the book was soaked in blood. Tsume looked at the red coating on his finger tips and grimaced in guilt, he licked the blood off and opened the book.

"Jagura, had one like this didn't she. The first time around" Tsume said handing the book back. Toboe looked confused "that...was the woman who tricked and captured Hige and cheza right?" He asked Tsume nodded.

Toboe scratched his cheek and smiled sheepishly "I don't actually remember a whole lot, it comes to me in pieces" Toboe said.

"Same with me" Tsume muttered walking to the window.

Toboe watched Tsume, and frowned at the conflicted look on his face.

With a sigh Toboe looked down at Roja who was still out cold. "What are you going to do about her?" He asked.

Tsume didn't answer.

"This is so crazy, Roja seems so nice. Why would anyone-" a deep snarl from Tsume hushed Toboe.

"That's just it, people don't like nice. In their world it gets you killed. There is no balance of respect and honor. Just power and rank" Tsume said.

Toboe looked back down at Roja and tilted his head. Somehow he felt like he had seen her before a long time ago.

A low deep howl rang into the night. Tsume watched as the clouds parted outside the window, and the full moon showed itself.

Toboe stood and walked to Tsume's side. He looked up at Tsume, but it was clear he did not plan to answer Kiba. Toboe took to his true form and howled in Tsume's place.

----
----

Roja's eyes fluttered open, she could hear a back and forth chorus of howls. Turning her head she saw the mutt and Tsume. But the mutt was howling?

Roja went to sit up bracing herself for extreme pain. However, it was just a dull lingering pain. Not even as strong as a sprain.

Sitting up Roja touched her stomach. The pain and sickness there had faded to, and was slowly going away as she listened to the howls.

"You're a wolf" she stated. The mutt stopped howling as it and Tsume turned to face her both appearing to be at a loss for words.