Luna Roja

Questions

Tsume finally closed his gaping mouth and stared Roja down. While the mutt looked back and forth between them.

Roja tore her eyes away from Tsume and to the mutt.

"I know it's true, I suppose I never noticed before because it's been 200 years since the last wolf sitting. Or that's what Al told me, the last man to ever see one was a native in the wilds, Nero said it was documented that the man saved 5 of them." Roja paused, "But I never....I mean Nero was a conspirator after all...always thinking of crazy things" at this point Roja was rambling softly.

She looked between the two again. "Will you both stand there and let me believe I have lost my mind?" She asked. She looked up at Tsume "You can't hide from me anymore, I lost some blood...But briefly I saw your true form, and I know now Nero and Finn...They saw it too" she said.

The mutt took a single step forward and before Roja's eyes transformed. Now a boy stood before her, maybe 16 or 17. He had neat mahogany hair and honest eyes.

Roja had expected the transformation, but the reality of it made her eyes widen just a bit. The sort of pet she'd been taken care of, and following her around was...

"M-my name's Toboe" he said timidly in the lingering awkwardness. Roja nodded stiffly "hello Toboe" she said trying to get to her feet.

But as she did, the pain in her body returned. Tsume seeing her struggle went to her, resting a hand on her shoulder he gently pushed her to sit back down.

"Funny, the pain vanished a minute ago" Roja thought.

"Don't push yourself!" Tsume snapped. Roja couldn't help but giggle. He never had bedside manners.

And she had to admit, with this strange turn of events. She was just happy Tsume had returned. Even though in her core she could feel nothing good was going to come of this, she wanted at least one good lasting moment.

"Thank you" Roja said turning to Toboe with a small smile. Toboe seemed shocked as he gasped, "Huh? But for what I didn't..." He went on looking off to the side. He avoided eye contact as an embarrassed blush lit up his cheeks.

"I just have a feeling that you brought Tsume back to find me. I owe you one, Toboe, "
Toboe looked at Roja and beamed.

"Heh, it was nothing! You helped me first, remember? And besides, if I hadn't met you, I wouldn't have found Tsume or the others and-"

"Toboe!" Tsume scolded.

Toboe flinched "oh...." He breathed. "You weren't gonna tell her, huh?" He asked.

Tsume rubbed his temples in frustration, "I didn't know yet" he growled, leering at Toboe.

"Others? A pack?" Roja questioned. She scanned the room and her eyes fell on her book. Crawling forward with a slight wince, she reached and grabbed it.

She opened it and turned to a page that mentioned Paradise.

"This is why you left, isn't it?" She asked Tsume.

Tsume scoffed and turn his head.

"Paradise right?" She asked, clutching the book.

"Well, Tsu? What are you planning on doing?" Roja asked.

Tsume leering at the ground, crossed his arms. What was he going to do?

"Hey you know Tsume, before well the end, I saw Gran she was there...maybe...maybe Roja could get in too..." Toboe spoke timidly.

"Paradise isn't for humans," Tsume said jadedly.

Toboe shook his head. "No, I know I saw Gran there, it's worth a try," Toboe said, clenching his fists.

"I..."Toboe glanced to the side awkwardly, "...reallylikeroja..." He blurted quickly, side glance he caught Roja's amused smirk "and I know you do to Tsume,"

Tsume's eyes widened briefly at Toboe's words before he turned his back to them.

"I just, well it's worth a try right?" Toboe said.

Tsume looked down, thinking heavily, he stared at the concrete.

"Tsume" Roja called, getting to her feet with a bit of trouble. Grabbing her stomach and side, she panted a few times from pain before shaking it off and dropping her arms at her side.

"You can't come...."Tsume said slowly in a cold voice.

The air rushed out of Roja's body.

"But!" She gasped. Tsume turned sharply to face her.

"Toboe go ahead of me we're going back" Tsume said. "Ugh...but-but Tsume..." Toboe whispered.

"Go!" Tsume barked. Toboe glanced at Roja one last time before sulking out of the room.

Roja's body trembled as she gazed at Tsume amazed.

"Why?" She said, her voice clearly angry. "Because it's just the way things are" Tsume said walking to her. Roja took a step away, she turned her back to him. "I waited, and searched....put up with those idiots, shot...." Roja muttered, head bowed.

Tsume was silent. "Roja" he said in a hollow tone.

"Go, Tsume. If paradise is what you want, go find it. Because it..." Roja sat back down on her cot and slipped back on her bloody jacket, "isn't here" she said.

Tsume watched her for a long time. He went to go to her, but instead stopped himself and left to follow Toboe.

Roja hugged herself and bowed her head, a hand resting on the Book, she glared at it for a while before chucking it across the room.

It landed at the door, which swung open slowly, and a hand picked it up.

"Hey, you better be careful with this" a perky amused voice called out. Roja's head snapped up as she gazed at the man, who smiled at her, "it's a rare find, and you are going to need it" he said. Speaking as if he'd known her all his life.

Roja stood up quickly and took a defensive stance, "who are you!" she called out painfully as the pain throbbed from her side and stomach. "Hey there don't hurt yourself" The man said gently, he took a few steps towards her "you aren't well" he said almost sadly.

Roja found herself confused by the pity in his eyes. But why was he here? What did he want?

"I am Darcia...the first, that is," he said. "Darcia...." Roja muttered lowering her eyes "That name..." she whispered. A flashing of memories, all scrambled and fragmented, rushed into her mind. She could see a lab filled with machines, symbols, and shelves of books. She could see a man, a very worried man, and then she could see bright pink eyes, wide pink eyes. Opening slowly, looking intently at something. And lastly, the shattering of glass and many explosions.

Roja snapped out of it to find he was now standing in front of her. "Roja. The third would like to see you again," he said, handing her back the book, he folded it within her hands. Roja scanned his bright golden eyes, they didn't look human in the least. "But first, you must do something" He said.

Roja tilted her head in question. "Go with the red wolf into the lower basements of the old station. You will find something there that will answer many of your questions, with any luck all of them. Then return here, the Third and I will be waiting" He said. Roja was still heavily confused. She opened her mouth to speak, but as she did so. Bright lights blared into the windows of the room. Darcia I covered his eyes and Roja panicked "the police but..how?" she questioned "go now, it is planned, but you must go now!" He said Roja nodded and ran for the door "the station will be clear now that they are all here" He called before she vanished through the door.