Take It All Away

Adam

We got back to the hotel, all of us soaked.

“I get the shower first,” Eric said.

“I don’t think so,” Mark said. “That would be me.”

“I think Violet should have first dibs,” Jacob piped up. “After all, she’s our proud and brave leader.”

I laughed and grabbed a warm towel that room service had brought us and my duffle bag. I showered quickly, not wanting to use up all the hot water. I stepped out and looked at myself in the mirror. The mirror was fogged over so I wiped it off. My skin was a little red from the cold and the snow but I didn’t mind. I was sure it would go away soon. I dried off my body, deep in thought.

“Dude!” Eric whined from the other side of the door. “What is it with you women and hour long showers?”

“Don’t be a baby,” I said, walking out fully clothed. “That was, like, ten minutes.”

Eric went in. I laughed and got into the bed, pulling out my phone from the coat pocket. I had a couple messages from Gina.

How are things going in the great state of Minnesota?

It’s freezing here! I got my hair colored again.

Pictures!

I laughed and pulled up my camera and turned it into selfie mode. By then, Adam was out of the shower.

“Selfie!” he yelled and jumped next to him.

I laughed again, clicking the camera icon. I sent it to Gina while Mark went in for his shower.

Adam yawned and stretched out on the bed.

“I vote pizza for dinner,” he said.

My phone buzzed.

Matching hair! You two are so cute together.

I quickly hid the message from Adam. “I agree,” I said, stuffing my phone into my coat pocket.

He grabbed the phone and the list of places nearby. While he ordered the pizza, I wandered over to the TV, looking for something good.

“Let’s rent a movie,” Eric yawned when I had searched through without any results. “How do we do it?”

“I have no clue,” I said and curled up in a ball by the pillows. “Wake me up when the pizza gets here.”

I closed my eyes and fell asleep almost immediately.

-

“She’s quite the catch, Adam,” Mark said quietly as they watched Violet sleep.

Adam blushed. “I don’t know what you mean.”

“How long has it been since you even went on a date?” Jacob asked.

He shrugged. “I dunno. I’ve been busy, man.”

“She’s a great woman,” Eric agreed. “I’m a little jealous. Where’d you find her? Do they make them all like that in Oklahoma?”

Adam laughed. “She lives in that hotel I was staying in,” he answered. They were all talking quietly so as to not wake her. “She has insomnia, too.”

“Really?” Jacob said, tilting his head. “Why does she live in the hotel?”

“All she said was it was cheaper than an apartment. I have a feeling it has something to do with her mother, though. She makes Disney’s evil stepmothers look like kind women.”

Someone knocked on the door and Mark went to get the pizza. Adam sat beside her and nudged her awake.

“Pizza’s here,” he said and she stretched.

“Good. I’m starving.”

As Mark handed out the pizza on napkins, Adam watched Violet. Jacob had managed to find out how to rent Sherlock Holmes and they all settled in for a warm evening. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn’t stop looking over at Violet.

“Do I have something on my face?” she asked when she caught him.

“No,” he said quickly and looked back at the movie.

-

I watched him for a second but he didn’t look at me again. I shrugged it off and finished off my pizza, wiping my face with the napkin. I didn’t last much longer through the movie and fell asleep. However, around 10, all the men groaned and I opened my eyes.

“Why is it so freezing?” I asked, curled up under the blankets.

“We lost power,” Adam sighed. “Come on.”

He pulled all the blankets and sheets off the bed. A woman came by with extra blankets. I had a feeling this happened a lot. I gathered up the pillows and tossed them to Eric. They made a sort of fort and Adam patted the floor next to him. I sat down and Eric wrapped the blankets around us tightly.

I was still shivering, though, so Adam pulled me as close as he could. I put my head on his chest as the other three guys joined us.

--

I woke up stiff as a board. The guys were still asleep and I looked around. The power was back on but there was no way of knowing what time it was. I didn’t want to disturb them so I settled back down.

“It’s probably early in the morning.”

I jumped a little. “I thought you were asleep,” I said, turning in Adam’s arms to look at him.

“No. I’ve been up since the power came back on.”

“Does that happen often?”

He nodded, closing his eyes and resting his head back on the head. “The snow must have been heavy last night.”

“What’s on the agenda for today?” I asked, putting my head next to his.

His hair was messy from going to bed with it wet and I giggled.

“What?” he asked, opening one eye.

“You have beautiful hair this morning,” I said and he chuckled.

“Yours isn’t so great either. Anyway, I got a text from my mom. She wants to know if the guys and I can come over to start getting the house ready for Thanksgiving.”

I nodded and closed my eyes. Our faces were so closed I could feel the breath from his nose on my face. His hand found mine under the blanket and I smiled a little.

“Thank you for coming with me,” he whispered and I nodded, causing our noses to brush against each other.

“Thank you for inviting me,” I whispered back.

He laughed. “It was more like kidnapping you, but you’re welcome.” I smiled and he laced our fingers together. “I’d really like to kiss you right now,” he whispered.

I opened my eyes to meet his dark brown ones. I swallowed thickly.

“What’s stopping you?” I breathed and he smiled.

He leaned forward and kissed me. I closed my eyes and let go of his hand, touching his cheek. He put his hand on my hip and pulled me closer to him.

“Get a room,” Mark murmured sleepily into his pillow and we broke away, laughing.