Take It All Away

Drunk

“At least stay here tonight,” Joan insisted.

“There isn’t room for all of us,” Adam said. “Besides, Violet and I need a shower.”

We were still caked in flour.

“Together or separately?” Eric asked, his eyes shining.

I turned a brilliant shade of red and followed the boys. I didn’t put my coat on, not wanting to get flour on it, and hurried ahead of everyone else. When I got to the hotel, I hurried into the bathroom. I stripped out of the flour covered clothes and started the shower. It wasn’t until I got out that I realized I had forgotten clothing.

I opened the door and looked out. The guys weren’t back yet. My duffle bag was just around the corner by the bed. I wrapped a towel around me tightly and hurried to get my bag. I turned just as the door opened. Adam, looking at his phone, hadn’t seen me yet and I dashed for the bathroom only to bump right into him.

I fell, my towel slipping, and he blushed, eyes wide.

“Oh, my God,” I breathed and closed my towel.

The others followed shortly and I ran into the bathroom. I slammed the door shut.

“What happened, man?” Mark asked. “Here let me help you up.”

“Why were you on the floor?”

“I just wasn’t paying attention,” I heard Adam lie and I let out a sigh.

I got dressed and hid in the bathroom, afraid to go out there, until someone knocked.

“Seriously, Violet,” Jacob said. “I need to pee.”

“TMI,” I said, trying to laugh and got out, stuffing the flour covered clothes into the laundry bag that the hotel provided.

“What do you guys want for dinner?” Mark asked.

“Let’s go out,” Eric said. “What do you guys think?”

“Sounds good,” I said, trying to avoid Adam’s face.

“I’m going to shower real fast,” Adam said, “and get out of these floury clothes.”

I sat on the bed and let out a long sigh.

“Everything okay?” Mark asked, putting his coat on.

“Yeah,” I said quickly. “Everything’s fine. Just a little….” I cleared my throat. “Where are we going to eat?”

“There’s a bar and grill just down the road,” Jacob answered.

Adam came out and helped me with my jacket. The guys filed out and he stopped me.

“About earlier,” he began but I laughed a little.

“What are you talking about?”

He smiled and gestured for me to follow.

-

The bar and grill was busy but we managed a booth. I was surprised not to hear country music.

“We listen to normal music here in Minnesota,” Jacob said haughtily and I snorted.

We ordered onion rings for an appetizer and Eric bought a round of beer.

“This isn’t just normal beer,” Eric said. “This is good, old, Minnesota draft!”

A waitress brought by orange slices and I followed their lead in squirting it into the beer. Mark lifted his glass.

“To Thanksgiving,” he said.

“And escaping from the press,” Jacob added.

“Cheers to that,” I laughed and we clinked glasses.

I took a sip. The orange cut through the bitterness of the beer and I found I actually enjoyed the taste. While we waited for our food, the guys talked about sports while I watched the television they had on the wall.

“Um, Adam,” I breathed.

He was sitting beside me and I pointed at the screen. The guys all turned. There was a picture of me in the lobby holding my phone and looking like a deer in headlights. It turned to a video of me backing up and falling into the elevator. The headline read “Adam Young’s disappearance and mystery woman.”

“Mystery woman?” I repeated, blushing a little.

“That took longer than normal,” Adam sighed as the guys all turned back around.

When the waitress came back, she brought our food and we ate in silence for a little while.

“How about some more beer,” Jacob said finally and ordered another round.

“Not for me,” I declined. “I’m not big on alcohol.”

The same couldn’t be said for the guys. Four beers later, they were all heavily intoxicated. They were sharing inside jokes and I sat quietly, enjoying watching them.

“Perhaps we should get you guys back to the hotel,” I said.

“I’m staying,” Jacob said stubbornly. “The game’s on.”

Mark and Eric agreed. I turned to Adam whose eyes were glazed over.

“You need to leave,” I laughed when he bent over the table.

I helped him out, putting one of his arms around my shoulders.

“I don’t normally get like this,” he slurred as we walked through the slush on the sidewalks. “Jacob is really good at getting me to drink a lot.”

“No worries,” I assured him and we got in the elevator.

“You are very beautiful,” he said once we got in the room.

“Okay, time for you to sleep,” I laughed and let him fall onto the bed.

“I’m serious.”

“So am I. Come on, shoes off.”

He pouted and did as I said. He fell back on the pillows while I changed into my pajamas in the bathroom. I expected him to be asleep when I got back but he seemed to be waiting. He patted the spot beside him on the bed and I got under the covers. He squirmed under the blankets and turned on his side. Even though I wanted to look away, I couldn’t, and he stroked my cheek.

“I’m really drunk,” he laughed and I snorted.

“I had no idea,” I said sarcastically.

“I’m glad you’re here,” he murmured.

I smiled in response and made to turn on my side until he grabbed my shoulders and kissed me roughly. I hesitated as he pressed me on my back, his hands wandering on my stomach.

“No,” I breathed. “Not while you’re drunk.”

He pouted. “Just one more kiss?”

I smiled kindly. “Close your eyes and try to sleep,” I said.

He grumbled but closed his eyes anyway. He was asleep within seconds.