Take It All Away

Heading Home

Later that evening, after getting a few bags of leftovers, we headed back to the hotel. I pulled my coat tight and narrowed my eyes. Adam and Jacob kept staring at me until they saw I caught them and they’d look straight ahead. I didn’t mention it until I went into my new room. Adam joined me ten minutes later.

“So you want to tell me why you and Jacob are acting weird?” I asked and he put his suitcase on the other bed.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he said airily. I arched a brow and he sighed. “I heard you and my mom talking earlier.”

I felt the blood drain out of my face. I grabbed my coat, phone, and keycard and rushed out. I wasn’t sure where I was going or why I was leaving in the first place, but I had to get away for at least a minute. I hurried out into the parking lot and pulled my coat tight, watching the snowflakes fall. I kicked at some snow that had turned grey from everyone walking on it. It wasn’t until I felt a stinging on my face did I realize I was crying.

I thought for a while, analyzing why I was upset. It wasn’t that Adam had overheard; it was the fact that now he knew. I heard the door open behind me.

“You okay?” I heard Jacob asked.

“Fine,” I muttered as he stood next to me.

“Look, Adam doesn’t think any less of you,” he said without preamble. I looked down. “They only thing different is he feels sympathy.”

“I didn’t want him to know,” I admitted. “I didn’t want anyone to know.”

“Why not?” he asked and I could hear the frown in his voice.

I didn’t answer right away. “It was a long time ago. It doesn’t matter anymore.”

“Of course it does, Violet. It leaves a scar.” He sighed. “My mom was raped when she was a freshman in college. It was how I was conceived.” I looked at him in shock. “I never knew who my real dad was and, frankly, I never sought him out. She felt guilty for a long time but, thankfully, she had parents that supported her the whole time. I didn’t know how I was conceived until I was 18 and I asked about my real dad.”

“That’s awful,” I whispered.

He looked at me. “Yeah, it is. But my mom is the strongest woman I know. It made her who she is. It makes you strong, too, Violet. It’s nothing to be ashamed about. If anyone should feel ashamed, it’s whoever did it to you. What’s important is that you continue living.” He gave me a one armed hug. “You’ve got some good friends. I don’t know what the relationship is with your parents, but you also have us and Adam. Never forget that.”

I sniffled and wiped my nose. “Thanks, Jacob,” I whispered and he nodded, keeping his arm around my shoulder.

“Let’s get inside before Adam tears all his hair out,” he said finally with a laugh. “He feels awful for mentioning it.”

My new room was on the first floor and Jacob waved good bye before getting on the elevator. I opened the door slowly to see Adam pacing. When I closed the door behind me, he stopped, looking scared.

“It’s okay,” I assured him.

“Did Jacob talk to you?” I nodded but he kept looking guilty. “I’m so sorry I said anything to him. I had no idea what to say to you and he was the only one I could-”

I put a finger on his lips and hugged him. “Thank you,” I whispered.

“For what?”

“Caring,” I breathed and he hugged me back.

-

It was midnight and Adam and I were still awake, tossing a ball of socks between each other.

“I hate insomnia,” I sighed and he nodded. I felt my face turn red. “Can I try something?”

“Sure,” he said, putting the socks to the side and waiting expectantly.

Shaking a little, I got out of my bed and got into his. I got under the covers and held them up for him to do the same. He hesitated, though.

“It’s okay,” I said.

He slid under and I put my head on the same pillow as his, closing my eyes.

“Do you trust me?” I asked when he still didn’t move.

“Yes,” he whispered.

“Then relax,” I said, opening on eye.

He nodded and put his head on the pillow, putting an arm around my waist. We both closed our eyes and we were asleep with minutes.

-

Someone knocked on our door and I groaned.

“Wakey wakey!” Jacob yelled through the door.

I was wrapped in Adam’s arms, my back pressed against his chest.

“Go away,” I grumbled and he laughed.

“Come on. We’re going to see a movie.”

“All right,” Adam called back.

“We’re meeting in the lobby in ten minutes!”

We heard him leave and I turned in Adam’s arms with a tired smile.

“How’d you know that would work?” he asked.

I looked down, blushing. “I noticed the few times we shared a bed or couch, we both fell asleep without a problem.”

He smiled and, blushing as well, kissed my forehead. “I guess we might have found a cure for our insomnia.”

I giggled and sighed. “I don’t want to go out today,” I admitted.

“The guys will give us hell if we don’t,” he pointed out and I got out, knowing he was right.

We met the guys in the lobby ten minutes later, me still rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.

“What movie are we going to see?” I asked as we went out into the cold air.

“Star Wars,” Mark answered with a big grin. “I can’t wait!”

I laughed. I hadn’t seen him so excited since the fight a few weeks ago. When we got into the room, Adam sat on my left and Jacob on my right. I felt like Jacob and I had bonded from the night before and I saw him as a brother. Adam, on the other hand…. Halfway through the movie, he held my hand and I felt my stomach flip.

-

We left for the airport a few days later. Joan hugged me tightly.

“Oh, I hope I can see you again soon,” she said and I returned her smile.

Randal gave me a hug while Joan said goodbye to the guys. While I waited, I called Gina.

“You on your way back?”

“Yep. We’re about to board the plane now. It’ll land around noon so I probably won’t be able to come back in until tomorrow.”

“It’s okay.”

“So,” I began, “how are things with Jack?”

She giggled. “I guess you’ll just have to wait and find out.”

I laughed. “Hey, they’re calling for us to board. I’ll see you in a few hours.”

I hung up, feeling nervous. Adam and I sat beside each other and I shared my worries about the press.

“What if they’re still at the hotel when we get there?” I asked.

“It’s been three weeks,” he pointed out. “They’d have to be pretty persistent. Did Gina say if they were still there or not?”

I shook my head. “We didn’t get the chance.”

“Well, we’ll find out in a few hours.”

I nodded and took a deep breath as I held his hand.