Take It All Away

Advice

We landed back in Will Rogers to be confronted with icy roads.

“Holy crap,” Jacob said, staring with wide eyes. “And you said Minnesota was bad!”

I laughed as Gina’s car pulled up in front of us.

“Violet!” she cried and ran out to hug me tightly. “I missed you!”

I hugged her back. “I missed you, too.” Jack was putting everyone’s luggage in the trunk. “You two are dating, aren’t you?”

She blushed but nodded with a grin. “I think we’ll be able to fit all of you in the car. You’ll have to squish, though.”

“What’s the hotel like?” I asked nervously as we headed back, Jack driving extra slow.

“They were all gone by the first week,” she said. “When neither of you showed up, someone tried to sneak in.” She laughed. “I’ve never seen Gerald so angry.”

“Who’s Gerald?” Mark asked.

“The owner of the hotel,” Adam answered. “He threw them out?”

“Even better,” Gina grinned. “He called the police.”

“Well, good for him!” I said.

It took us about an hour longer than normal to get back to the hotel. The guys were getting restless.

“Trust me,” I said after a fifth complaint, “it’s safer this way. One wrong turn on a piece of ice and the car could flip.”

“Don’t be so dramatic,” Eric said.

“She’s not,” Gina said seriously. “It happened to our friend a few years ago.”

Mark whistled in surprise as they finally got back to the hotel. It was around six in the evening and I really didn’t feel like going out to eat so we ordered takeout. While we waited, I unpacked the few things I had brought and put the necklace Sofia had given me in a special place. The pillow Joan had gotten me was placed in the center of my bed. I smiled at it fondly as Adam knocked on my door.

“Food’s here,” he announced and I joined everyone in the lobby.

“So how were things while we were gone?” I asked.

“Well, Mark quit,” Jack sighed, picking at some of his fried rice.

“Huh?” Mark asked.

“Mark was an employee over at the shop,” I said quickly. “Why did he quit?”

“It was either quit or be fired,” Jack spat.

I frowned. “What did I miss?”

“He tried to make a pass,” Gina explained, shifting uncomfortably. “Jack and I had been dating for a few days but no one knows. Well, you know now, but Mark didn’t. After the way he had been treating you, we figured we’d wait until you got back.”

“I was ready to snap his hands off,” Jack said darkly and Gina put a hand on his.

“Anyway, he was pretty pissed and demanded to know where you went,” Gina continued. “When we refused to say, he threatened Jack. It was pretty nasty. So, Jack gave him an ultimatum. I have no idea where he is but I know he left the state.”

“Well, good riddance,” I said firmly. “But that means we have a lot more to do.”

“We’ll be fine,” Gina nodded confidently. “Now that you’re back, things will get easier. I suck at baking.” I grinned. “So what’s Minnesota like?”

“Cold as-”

“It is nothing compared to Oklahoma!” Jacob interrupted and I laughed. “Geez, how do you live here on a daily basis?”

“They get a lot more snow than us,” I said. “Where we get ice, they get snow.”

“That must have made for a nice change,” Jack said and I nodded, trying to suppress a yawn.

“Bed time,” Gina said quickly. “Especially if you plan on getting to work tomorrow.”

I put my food down and stuck my tongue out at her. “Yes, Mother,” I joked and said good night to everyone.

It felt nice to be back in my own room but I couldn’t help but miss Adam as I snuggled under the warm covers, my heater blowing softly in the background. I closed my eyes but sleep evaded me. I opened on eye to see it was almost one in the morning. Someone knocked on my door. I opened it and smiled at a tired Adam.

-

I crossed the street slowly the next morning, keeping an eye out for any kind of ice that could send me flying. I had reluctantly got out of bed, letting Adam know I was leaving, and he had promised to come by with the guys.

“Morning,” Gina greeted with a yawn. She handed me my apron. “Your normal?”

“Yes please,” I said and went into the back to start working on the pastries. “It feels so good to be back.”

“We’re glad,” Jack said, bringing in a few boxes. He smiled at Gina who smiled back shyly, handing me my coffee and heading back to the front to open. I grinned cheekily at him. “Oh, shut up. You were right.”

“How did it happen?” I asked, rolling out the croissants.

“It was the second day you were gone,” he explained, sitting on a box. “It was a busy day and we were both dead on our feet by the end of the day. She had mentioned that you guys usually went out to eat or go to a bar so I offered to take her.” He shrugged, turning pink. “It just went from there.”

I smiled. “I’m happy for the two of you.”

“I felt like a pedo for a while there,” he laughed. “As soon as she met my parents, though, that passed quickly. They love her.” He opened a box of coffee beans. “What about you?”

“What about me?”

“You and Adam,” he said as if it were obvious. “Did you… connect while you were gone?”

I sighed, this time it was my turn to sit down. “I don’t know, Jack. His mom says he likes me and I have feelings for him but….”

“But you’re afraid after what happened with Nick,” he finished and I nodded, looking at my hands. “You think he’d do that to you?”

I shook my head. “No, I don’t think he would. But I don’t even know if I have anything to bring to the table. Plus he’ll be leaving in a few months I think.”

“For touring?”

I nodded, tears stinging my eyes. “I can’t ask him not to go but I can’t just leave you guys, either. And after we got mobbed at the hotel, I don’t want to live like that.”

“Does that happen often?”

“He said it only really happens in small towns. I’m sure he blends in better in places like LA or New York.”

“Can I make a suggestion?” he asked and I nodded. “Don’t think that far into the future. I know it’s hard not to considering he’s a famous musician, but it’s really easy to get stuck there and forget to enjoy the present. Let things go as they will.”

I smiled. “I’ll do my best to try,” I promised.

“Now hurry up. People will be demanding those wonderful croissants.”

I laughed and stood back up, dusting my hands with flour.