Take It All Away

Clubbing

I left after three to take a power nap. I fell into my hotel bed and was asleep within minutes. My mother had always insisted I see a doctor to get medicine but I didn’t have the money to afford it.

“I can pay for it,” she insisted.

“No, Mom,” I said firmly over the phone. “I can’t keep relying on you and Dad.”

“You work at a coffee shop, for Christ’s sake,” she snapped. “And you live in a rundown hotel!”

“I happen to like my life,” I said coldly. “I have to go.”


That’s how all of our conversations went. She would criticize my life choices and I would try my best to defend myself. My dad was on my side but never spoke up to his wife which infuriated me. To me, that wasn’t how marriage should be. Of course, my mother disagreed and would lecture me on my lack of love experience.

I had only been in one relationship and it wasn’t a good one.

Around five o’clock someone knocked on my door and I groaned.

“I don’t need my sheets changed today, Mandy,” I said into my pillow.

“Open up, loser,” Gina said through the door and I sighed. “We’re going clubbing tonight.”

She barged into my room, holding a short black dress and strappy blue heels.

“Thanks but no thanks,” I said, getting back into bed. “I’m going to stay here and try to sleep tonight.”

She tossed the clothes at me. “Just get drunk and you’ll pass out with no problem.”

“I really don’t want to go, Gina,” I said firmly and she put her hands on her hips.

She was in a mini skirt with a tank top and sandals.

“Look, you need a life outside of the coffee shop,” she lectured, sitting on the other bed stubbornly. “Just come for one night. Hook up with someone if that’ll make you feel better.”

I rolled my eyes and looked at the dress. “Just one night?”

“Just one,” she promised and I glanced at the open door when I saw someone walk by it.

“Could you at least shut the door?” I asked. “I don’t want some random old dude to walk in and see me changing.”

She snorted. “Sure, Vi.”

I got dressed and struggled with the heels. “This is not my style,” I complained, grabbing the clutch purse she brought and pulling down on the dress.

“Precisely,” she said, practically dragging me out of my room.

I locked the door with the key. Unlike normal hotels, this one didn’t have keycards yet. They were too expensive.

The club was just down the street but it gave me time to break into the heels. By the time we reached the door, I was able to walk decently in them. Gina flirted our way in front of the line and we passed through, ignoring the glares of those waiting. Without looking around, Gina immediately went to the bar.

“Two shots of tequila please,” she said smoothly and the bartender nodded.

“Tequila?” I wrinkled my nose. “That stuff is disgusting.”

“Whatever, party pooper,” she retorted and pushed the shot glass in my hand. “Toss it back.”

I sighed but did as she told. Gina had always been able to get me to do whatever she wanted. I hated it but, at the same time, she was a very loyal friend and I loved her like a sister. She ordered two more shots and I started feeling buzzed.

“Let’s dance!” she yelled over the music and handed the bartender our purses.

He put them in the safe spot they had for women’s belongings and she took my hand. I stumbled, my vision a little blurred. It didn’t take long for two hands to be on my hips. Though I didn’t like it, I was a beautiful woman. I had my mother’s ivory skin and my father’s bright blue eyes. My hair was naturally light brown but I liked to switch up the color all the time. I had an hourglass figure that Gina said drove men crazy.

My dance partner’s hands slid down to my thighs, dangerously close to the bottom of my dress, and I quickly pushed them up again.

“Tease,” the man whispered into my ear. I could smell the alcohol on his breath. “Such a sexy woman shouldn’t be here alone.”

“I’m not alone,” I said. “Shut up. I can’t hear the song.”

He chuckled and I could feel the vibrations against my back. “I like a dominant woman,” he said, bumping me a little.

I started to get annoyed. I just wanted to dance; he was killing my buzz.

“I’m going to get a drink,” I said finally, pushing myself out of his wandering hands.

He followed me to the bar, though, his green eyes glinting in the dim light. He had short black hair that was ruffled and a little sweaty. I knew I was probably dripping in sweat, too, but I didn’t mind.

“Just a martini, please,” I said to the bartender.

The man laughed. “That’s a girly drink.” He stopped the bartender. “Give us two Jack and Cokes.”

“Because that’s so much better,” I rolled my eyes.

He smirked at me and I let my eyes wander to the dance floor, looking for Gina to come save me. The bartender came back and I took my drink.

“The name’s Philip,” the man said, holding out his hand.

I took another sip. “Nice to meet you,” I returned, blinking my eyes heavily.

“Aren’t you going to tell me your name?” he asked, leaning forward and putting a hand on my knee.

I pushed it off. “I don’t see what the point is.” I drained my drink. “I’ll never see you again.”

“I highly doubt that,” he said smoothly.

Before I could respond, my head started pounding. “God,” I groaned. “How much Jack did he put in that?”

“I can walk you home,” Philip said.

“No, I think I will.”

I turned around to see Adam standing behind me with a glass of water in his hands. He didn’t say anything to me but put it in my hands. He was glaring at Philip.

“Dude,” Philip said, his eyes wide. “You’re that guy.”

“I think you should leave,” Adam said firmly as I gulped down the water, “before I call the police.”

Philip snorted and the bartender walked over, eyes narrowed. “And tell them what?”

“I saw what you did,” he snapped.

“What’s going on?” the bartender interrupted, sensing the tense atmosphere.

Adam gestured at Philip, taking my hand and pulling me off the stool. “I’d kick him out if I were you. This is the second drink he’s spiked tonight.”

The bartender turned his glare to Philip who was going pale.

“Let’s go, Violet,” Adam said and led me out of the club.

“I need to tell my friend,” I said, my words slurring a little. “And I left my purse.”

“What’s she wearing?”

I told him and he leaned me against the wall of the club. The music was pounding and I rubbed my eyes.

“What happened?” Gina demanded, appearing at my elbow.

“I have no idea,” I murmured. “You were right, though. The alcohol really got me tired.”

“It wasn’t the alcohol.”

Adam was back with our purses. Gina’s eyes went wide as she looked into mine.

“Look at me, Vi,” she demanded and I obeyed.

I giggled. “Which one?”

“Thank you,” she breathed to Adam who nodded solemnly. “I’ll get her back safely.”

“I’m going to stay here to make sure he doesn’t make a run for it,” he said, pulling out his phone and dialing a number.

“What’s going on?” I asked, trying to walk straight but I was starting to see stars. I frowned, my hands going clammy. “Gina, I don’t feel so good.”

“I know, honey, but we’ll be back soon,” she promised.

We got back to my hotel room and I made a desperate shot to the bathroom. Gina held my hair back and sighed.

“I’m so sorry,” she whispered, tears in her eyes.

“Why?” I asked, leaning back and accepting the cold towel she handed me.

“You don’t know what happened?” I shook my head, starting to get scared. “He spiked your drink.”

“Shit,” I groaned. “That’s why it tasted weird.”

“Thank God Adam was there,” she said, swiping at some tears. “Come on, let’s get you to bed.”

Before I could even start changing, though, I sat down and passed out.