Take It All Away

The End

The next morning, I woke up before Adam and let him sleep, smiling at his peaceful face. I slipped out of bed and closed the door quietly behind me. My mother was in the kitchen in her bathrobe making coffee. She nodded at me before opening a cabinet.

“Coffee?” she offered and I nodded just as my father shuffled in.

I sat down at the kitchen table and bit my lip, trying to think of how I was going to break the news to them. My mother sat across from me, handing me a mug.

“Thanks,” I whispered.

“What’s wrong, flower?” my father asked, seeing my nervous expression.

“There’s something I have to tell you guys,” I muttered, stirring sugar in my coffee. “Um, Adam is leaving to go on tour next week.”

“That’s exciting,” my father said but my mother didn’t say anything.

Behind them, I saw Adam come out but he stopped before they knew he was there.

“Well, he’s asked me to come with him,” I said in a rush.

Just as I expected, my mother slammed her coffee mug on the table but my father grinned.

“How selfish!” she said and I bit my lip. “Doesn’t he know you have a life here? How could he ask you such a thing when he obviously doesn’t love you?!”

“Yvonne,” my father snapped as my hands tightened around my mug. “I don’t think you’re being very fair.”

She glared at him. “And what is that supposed to mean?”

“Do you really think that young man would be here right now if he didn’t love her?” he asked and my mother scoffed.

“Of course he wouldn’t. He’s probably waiting-”

“I’m going with him,” I interrupted and my mother’s jaw dropped.

“You’re doing what!?” she yelled.

“Hush,” my father said. “You’ll wake Misty up.”

My mother’s mouth open and closed, making her resemble a fish.

“You can’t go with him,” she hissed.

“Why not?” I asked, eyes narrowed.

My hands were burning from the heat of the coffee but I didn’t care.

“Because, because,” she sputtered, “he can’t provide for you! He just plays on a silly keyboard! We listened to his music when we got home!”

“I think it’s beautiful,” my father interjected and she glared at him.

“Let me guess, you think it’s a good idea?”

“I do,” he nodded. “Violet isn’t a foolish teenager, Yvonne. She’s smart.”

My mother shook her head. “No. John wants to marry you. I’ve told him yes.”

It was my turn to be stunned into silence. “You did what?”

She tossed her hair over her shoulder. “He wants to marry you,” she repeated. “He’s a lawyer, he has a steady career, and he can provide for you.”

“Adam,” I said, my voice shaking, “take me home.”

My mother went pale as Adam walked further into the room, his face expressionless.

“Let’s go,” he whispered, holding out his hand for me to take.

“Merry Christmas, Father,” I whispered, kissing his cheek. I glared at my mother. “Merry Christmas, Yvonne.”

Her eyes were wide as I picked up my new coat and followed him outside, our gifts gathered in a bag. I heard my dad yelling for me but I pulled Adam into the car. He drove down the street a while until he got to a covered parking lot. I unbuckled my seatbelt and got out, pacing around the car, trying to relieve my anger.

I heard him get out and close the door.

“Violet,” he said softly, putting a hand on my arm. “Violet, look at me.” I obeyed. All I could see was pain in his eyes. “Maybe your mother is right.”

I shook my head furiously. “That bitch is not right!” I yelled, my voice echoing in the empty garage.

“But if John can-”

“Don’t you get it?” I yelled, stomping my foot. “I love you, Adam!”

Silence fell and I clamped my hands over my mouth. I hadn’t intended to tell him like this. I turned away. I felt like all the happiness I had gathered over the last month was falling into pieces around me. I started to walk away until he spun me around and kissed me.

“I love you, too,” he whispered against my lips.

A car came squealing into the parking garage and my dad came running out, my mother following.

“Get in the car,” Adam said firmly and I immediately went for the car door. “No,” he said, holding his hand up before my parents could get closer. They both stopped. “I don’t care what you say, Mrs. Greene. I love your daughter. She loves me. She wants to come and I’m not going to stop her and I definitely won’t let you stop her. This is something you’re going to have to accept.”

“How dare you!?” she began.

“I’ve seen the pain you’ve inflicted on Violet,” he interrupted, and I stared at him over the top of the car, tears falling. “I’ve stood by and held her, comforted her. But I’m not going to do that this time. I’m not going to stand and let you hurt her anymore. She’s a beautiful young woman that you never took the time to get to know and understand. I pity you for that. I pity you that you’ll never know her. I’ve heard her cry in her sleep, I’ve heard her cry when she thought I couldn’t hear.”

I blushed, knowing exactly what he was talking about, and my father looked at me, his eyes glistening.

“For a long time I’ve loved your daughter,” he continued, his hands balled into fists. “I knew that it would take a while for her to love me back. Not because she didn’t, but because of what you did to her while she grew up. Did you even bother to help her when she was raped?” My mother’s lips pressed together and my father started to cry. “She can’t stand having men she doesn’t know well enough touch her! So, no, you can turn around and get your ass back in your car.” He turned his attention to my father. “As for you, I can’t tell you. You’re the only one who stood up for her.”

Without another word, he got in the car, slamming the door shut. My mother looked like he had slapped her in the face several times. She ran to her car and got in.

“Get in the car, Oliver!” she screeched.

My father rushed to me, hugging me tightly, and cried.

“I’m so sorry, flower,” he said and I buried my face in his neck. “I wish you nothing but happiness.”

I sobbed. “I’m going to miss you, Daddy.”

He kissed my forehead. “I’ll be looking for your letters,” he said and I nodded.

I got in the car and he shut the door carefully. Adam sat with his hands on the steering wheel, staring out the windshield. Neither of us said anything until my parents were gone.

“Violet,” he began but I kissed him, pulling him close.

He deepened the kiss, his tongue massaging mine. I couldn’t stop crying but he didn’t seem to mind. His hand ran into my hair and I broke away, putting my head in his neck.

Adam held me as I cried. We must have been in the parking garage for an hour before I finally calmed down.

“Talk about bad timing,” he murmured suddenly.

I sniffed. “What do you mean?” I asked, my voice coming out muffled from my clogged nose.

“Come on,” he whispered and led me to the trunk. “I got this for you,” he explained.

“I guess we’re both exchanging gifts,” I said and he looked at me strangely. “Hold on.”

I went back to the backseat and pulled his gift out from underneath the seats. He looked surprised but opened the trunk. Inside was a box with a red ribbon tied into a bow. I smiled and sniffed, passing his to him. Together, we opened our gifts.

I gasped. An old time typewriter sat before me.

“My gift seems so silly now,” I mumbled, looking at him.

I had gotten him a new synthesizer attachment. He smiled and kissed me.

“It’s perfect. One more thing,” he added and bent over the typewriter, hiding me from seeing it.

He typed a few keys and moved to the side. I looked at him before approaching it.

Marry me?

My breath hitched in my throat and I stood up straight. I turned to see him on his knee, a diamond ring in is hand.

“I meant every word I said to your parents,” he said quietly. “I love you, Violet Greene. I have for a very long time. I will provide for you and love you forever. I don’t want you to just come on one tour with me. I want you to come on every tour. I want you to be with me every second of every day for the rest of my life.” He paused and I gulped. He took my left hand. “I didn’t intend to do this in a dirty parking garage,” he added and I laughed. “What do you say? Will you marry me?”

“Yes,” I said immediately.

He grinned and slid the ring onto my finger. I laughed happily and threw myself into his arms.

“Come on,” he said finally, kissing me. “We have a tour to go on.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I may do a sequel; I haven't decided yet. I hope you guys liked it!