Take It All Away

Seal the Deal

The next few days went by in a bit of a blur. The only change was in my insomnia. After the fight with my mother, it became harder to sleep. I kept having nightmares and would escape to the lobby where I would usually find Adam. We didn’t talk about my parents’ visit. We had reached a quiet understanding that some things were better left unsaid.

“Do your friends know where you are?” I asked one night.

It was fall in Oklahoma which meant one thing: Cold, windy, unpredictable weather. I sat with my feet curled underneath me, hugging my steaming mug. The hotel’s heating system didn’t work in the lobbies so it was freezing. I hadn’t thought to bring my blanket out with me but I was a little warm with my over-sized sweater.

“Some of them do,” he nodded. He took a sip of the tea I was now sharing with him. “They know I just want some time off.”

“It’s been nearly three months,” I pointed out.

“Yeah, I’ll probably be heading back to Minnesota in a few months.”

For some reason the thought of him leaving made me feel a little sad. The window behind me rattled in its frame and I shivered. He laughed and motioned for me to sit beside me where he was under a blanket.

“You live here,” he said as I sat beside him and he draped the blanket across my shoulders. “You should be better prepared.”

I didn’t want to tell him I came running out because of a nightmare so I tried to think of a different subject. It was hard to, though, when his cologne filled my nose and his warm body was pressed against mine.

“Jack is coming soon,” I blurted out, just remembering.

“Who’s Jack?”

“He’s the owner of the coffee shop. He doesn’t come out very often so it’s always a big deal.”

“Why doesn’t he come out?”

I shrugged, drinking some tea. Our shoulders brushed together. “He has other coffee shops I think. He made me the manager about a year ago.”

He shifted to look at me. “You didn’t tell me you were the manager.”

My face was red, trying to meet his gaze. “It’s not a big deal.”

“Sure it is,” he said quietly. “Does your mother know?”

I scoffed, turning back to the front but pulling the blanket closer. “It wouldn’t matter.”

“Because she wants you to be a lawyer or a doctor?” he guessed.

“Pretty much,” I said lightly.

I felt his arm shift and he put it around my shoulders. My cheeks were blazing but he didn’t seem to notice.

“What color are you going to dye your hair this time?” he asked.

“I’m not sure yet,” I answered, thinking about it. “I might go with black.”

“Nah, you can’t do just black,” he said. “You need to add some more to it.”

“Oh really? What are you, the hair master?”

He laughed. “I like to think so, yes.”

I lifted my eyebrows at him. Our faces were really close together.

“I’ll get other colors if you go with me,” I said and he seemed to think it over.

“Deal,” he said with a curt nod and I held out my hand.

“We have to shake on it,” I said when he hesitated.

His dark brown eyes locked onto mine. “How about we seal it with a kiss?” he whispered and I felt my heart skip a beat.

I didn’t know what to say so I just nodded a little. He leaned forward and pressed his soft lips to mine. I closed my eyes, enjoying the feel of his velvety lips. I touched his cheek. The hair he swept to the right brushed my finger tips and he tightened his grip on my shoulders.

We broke away and I wanted to speak but my mouth was dry. Suddenly, his phone began to ring and he groaned, pulling it out of his pocket.

“What’s up?” he said into the phone but he didn’t let me go. I sipped my tea awkwardly. “When? Thanksgiving? You’re kidding, right?” He sighed. “And how exactly do you plan on getting me there? You know she’ll want me to have someone with me. I’m not doing that.” His eyes caught me and a smile started to curl on his lips. “Actually, count me in. I’ll see you the weekend before.”

He hung up and I stared.

“Why are you looking at me like that?” I asked and he grinned.

“You owe me a favor,” he reminded me.

“Yeah,” I said slowly.

“My friends are having a Thanksgiving get together,” he said, “and I need a date.”

I couldn’t help but smile. “Are you asking me on a date, Mr. Young?”

He grinned. “Well, that and you do owe me.”

I giggled. “Sure. It’ll be nice to get out of Oklahoma anyway.”

“Away from your parents,” he laughed and I chuckled.

I was getting tired but I felt good under his blanket with his arm around me. I decided to just close my eyes for a minute. Next thing I remember, there was light snoring in my ear and two arms wrapped around me. My phone alarm was going off and I rubbed my eyes.

I was still on the couch but I was laid out with Adam behind me, sleeping soundly. I made to get up but he tightened his hold on me in his sleep. As much as I wanted to stay, I had to get to work so I nudged him until he opened an eye.

“I have to go to work,” I whispered.

“What time is it?” he groaned, sitting up and stretching.

“A little after six,” I answered and he stared at me.

“We were out here all night,” he laughed, standing and walking me to my door.

“I told you that tea can work sometimes,” I said but I highly doubted it was the tea.

The look on his face told me he was thinking the same thing.

“Maybe I’ll stop by later,” he said and I nodded.

“Bye,” I whispered and went into my room, smiling a little.

-

“Your mother is going to have a heart attack,” Gina said later that day.

I rolled my eyes, preparing a white mocha for a customer. “Like she even wants me there.”

I had just told her about going to Adam’s for Thanksgiving. After half an hour of indignant and jealous spluttering, I was subjected to relentless teasing that only stopped when Adam came by for some hot coffee. Now it was close to closing time and I planned on going out to eat with Gina.

“When do you leave?” she asked, locking the store behind her.

“The weekend before,” I answered, pulling my coat tighter to my body as we walked to the restaurant.

“Lots of time alone,” she teased, nudging me with her elbow.

I rolled my eyes again and nudged her back. I couldn’t hide the smile on my face, though.

“Have you guys kissed yet?”

I had purposefully left that part out, knowing it would lead to more teasing. We sat down at the restaurant and ordered water.

“Of course not,” I lied, flipping through the menu.

“Why do you even bother?” she laughed. “You always get the same thing.”

“Fine,” I said, sticking my tongue out at her.

We talked about the upcoming visit from Jack and how both of us were a little nervous.

“Why are you nervous?” I asked through a mouthful of fries. “You’re not the manager.”

She rolled her eyes. “It’s obvious! The man is freaking hot!”

I snorted. “He’s, like, ten years older than you.”

Her eyes were glinting. “What about Adam?” she teased. “How much older than you is he?”

“Not that it matters, but five years,” I said with as much dignity as I could muster.

“Well, ten years isn’t much,” she shrugged and I smiled at my best friend.

We became friends in our freshman year of college when she was having trouble in our Algebra course. I helped her and we were instant friends. I had a few other friends but most of them moved to different states after graduating. Despite her personality, Gina didn’t have many friends. That’s probably why she went out and partied so much.

I finished my fries, thinking about if I would see Adam that evening. I thought I would but, when I went out with my mug of tea, he wasn’t there. I shrugged it off and sat down, curling under my blanket with my mug and pulling out my phone to send Gina a text to annoy her when I saw a new contact entry.

‘Adam Young’ the screen said and I repressed a smile. I debated on whether or not to text him but decided not to. I didn’t want to seem desperate. Instead, I spammed Gina’s phone until I got an angry text threatening to stab me with her stilettoes. I laughed and put my phone away, almost done with my tea.

As I was going back to my room, Adam’s door opened and a girl came out, giggling a little. Adam saw me and his jaw fell open. I stared at him, a number of emotions running through me.

“Violet,” he said but I walked into my room, locking the door behind me.