Take It All Away

Minnesota

Adam nudged me awake.

“We’re about to land,” he said and I sat up.

“Oh man,” I groaned and he laughed as I put a napkin on his shoulder. “I have never drooled before in my life.”

He was still laughing. “No worries. Did you know you snore?”

I blushed and he nudged me as the seatbelt sign flashed. I stretched, my back and neck popping. As the plane began to descend, I gripped the arm rests, trying not to imagine how far up in the high we were. We stood up and Adam handed me my duffle bag. When we got into the airport I shivered.

“Welcome to Minnesota,” Adam said and I looked around.

I don’t know what I expected but it wasn’t this. It was about a week and a half from Thanksgiving but there was already a foot and a half of snow on the ground. While Adam flagged down a couple taxis, I noticed how many of the people living here were in relatively light jackets.

“We’re used to it,” he said, correctly reading my expression.

I shook my head. “I can’t get used to this.”

He scoffed. “Says the woman who lives where ice falls from the sky five months of the year.”

We got into the taxi and Adam gave the driver the directions to a hotel.

“Will we be meeting up with your parents?” I asked.

“Yeah but they don’t have enough room in their house for all five of us,” he said.

“I want to see your old room,” I said, smiling at the thought.

We checked in at a Hilton hotel and I blushed, realizing we were all sharing a room. Every room was packed with people coming in for the holidays. We put our bags in the room.

“Don’t worry,” Eric said, tossing his arms around my shoulders. “I’m not much of a toss and turner.”

I laughed a little and ducked from under his arm, still not very comfortable with men touching me. For some reason, having Adam’s arm around me, having him hold my hand, and hugging me felt more natural than anything else.

It scared me.

We climbed into another taxi. The men were all laughing and joking. It was nice seeing Adam among his friends. I sat in the front seat. I don’t know how they managed to squeeze in the back but, considering Adam was the size of a twig, it probably wasn’t too difficult.

It was snowing when we pulled up to a two story house. We got out and Eric handed the taxi driver money and a tip. Adam led us all up the stairs and I rubbed my hands together. I hadn’t thought to bring gloves.

“Mom!” he called, opening the door. “Dad!”

“Adam!” a voice cried and an older woman came running up to him, her eyes gleaming with joy. “I thought you wouldn’t be here for another week.”

“We had to leave in a bit of a rush,” Eric said as she hugged the three other men.

She stopped when she got to me. “Another girl, Eric?” she asked with an amused smile.

“I wish,” Eric joked and pushed me over to Adam. “She’s with Mr. Owl here.”

She blushed a little. “Oh, I’m so sorry dear!” she laughed and hugged me. “Eric is just a ladies man. My name is Joan. I’m Adam’s mother.”

“My name is Violet,” I returned, smiling.

“Randal!” Joan yelled over her shoulder. “Adam’s here!”

A man came jogging down the stairs, wiping his glasses on his shirt.

“Hello, son!” he said, pulling Adam into a man hug. He did the same with the other three and, just like his wife, hesitated. “And who are you, young lady?”

“Dad, this is Violet,” Adam said and I shook his hand with a shy smile.

“Well, it’s wonderful to meet you,” he said with a strange smile.

“Come on,” Adam muttered. “We’re going to freshen up,” he said to everyone else.

I followed him up the stairs while Eric started a fire.

“Sorry about my dad,” he said quietly when we got to the top of the stairs. “He’s always weird about new girls.”

“It’s okay,” I shrugged and he paused at a closed door. There was a sign hanging lopsided on it that read ‘Adam’s Room’ in crayon. I grinned. “Open it.”

When he didn’t, I clicked my tongue and pushed the door open. He let me walk in and I looked around. There was a twin sized bed with black and blue checkered sheets. An old keyboard was next to the window which had blue curtains. The walls were plain white but had several skateboards mounted and there were photographs of scenery tacked on. I vaguely remember him saying he was a photographer, also. A desk sat against another wall.

“They haven’t touched it since I graduated,” he said, watching me nervously.

“Did you take these?” I asked, going over to the scenery pictures.

He nodded, joining me. “I took most of them when I was in high school. That’s when I got my first camera. After that, I just fell in love with photography.”

I smiled, still rubbing my hands. “And you were a skater boy, huh?”

He chuckled and took my hands. “God, they’re freezing,” he said and rubbed them.

I was blushing. “Well, I didn’t anticipate it to be so cold already.”

His eyes met mine and I laced our fingers together without thinking. He leaned in just as his mom yelled from downstairs.

“Lunch time!” she called and we stepped away.

He smiled a little and led me back down the stairs. Eric was clapping.

“Your cooking is the best, Joan,” he said with a groan while she put a plate down in front of them.

She beamed and ruffled his hair. Adam pulled a chair out for me and I sat.

“So why did you come so early?” Randal asked after they all sat and had plates.

Mark grinned. “They found Adam. Poor Violet was mobbed trying to go to work.”

I scoffed. “They’re like vultures.”

“I remember when that happened to us once,” Joan laughed. “Randal made it clear they weren’t invited, though.”

Randal adjusted his glasses. “Well, they didn’t have our permission to be on our property.”

Joan rolled her eyes and looked at me. “So tell me about yourself, Violet.”

I swallowed the mashed potatoes I had. “Well, I’m a barista at a small coffee shop.” Randal made a strange noise. “I went to college and got an associate’s in English.”

“Oh really?” she asked kindly. “What are you going to do with that?”

“I’m writing a book,” I admitted shyly. “I haven’t had time to work much on it lately, though.”

“Coffee shop keeping you busy?” Randal asked and Joan glared at him.

“She’s the manager,” Adam cut in. “The owner has several other shops around the country so he’s left her in charge.”

Joan looked at me, impressed. “That’s quite impressive, Violet!”

I smiled. “Thanks but I do wish I had time to work on my book some more.”

“Did you ever want to be anything else?” she asked and I shook my head.

“Ever since I was a kid I wanted to be a writer.”

Thankfully, Eric knocked over his water which took the attention off of me. After I was done, I excused myself to sit by the fire.

“Not used to Minnesota cold?”

Joan came over with a mug of hot chocolate that I accepted with a smile.

“No,” I laughed. “Oklahoma has cold, true, but we get more ice than snow.”

“How’d you meet my Adam?”

I looked over at the table where all the men were joking around. Randal kept shooting me dark looks.

“Why doesn’t Randal like me?” I asked before answering.

Joan sighed heavily. “He’s like that with every girl he meets. He’s worried they’re in it just because Adam’s famous.”

“I don’t even know if Adam and I are a couple,” I admitted. “He was staying at the hotel I live in.”

“You live in a hotel?”

I nodded, feeling a little insecure. “It’s cheaper than an apartment.”

“Well, I’m glad you’re here,” she said with a grin. “It gets boring with just guys.” I returned her smile. “And don’t worry about my husband, he’ll warm up shortly. As for you and Adam being a couple….” She stopped and tilted her head, looking at me. “Are you staying for Thanksgiving?”

“Yes,” I said, surprised by the abrupt change in topic. “By the way, I hope it’s not too forward, but I’d like to help with the cooking if that’s okay. I like to bake,” I added.

I was starting to wonder if Joan did anything but grin. “I would love that!”

“Love what?” Adam asked, walking over to sit beside me.

“Violet offered to help with dinner,” she said, beaming at me and I blushed.

“Just with the baking,” I muttered. “It’s not a big deal.”

Adam only smiled at me.