Take It All Away

Thanksgiving Drama

Randal put the turkey on the table and Joan put the salads. I sat beside Adam and Eric sat on my other side.

“Adam, would you like to say grace?” his mother asked and he nodded enthusiastically.

He bowed his head and everyone took hands. Adam laced our fingers together. Unfortunately, so did Eric but I let go and held his hand normally.

“Dear Lord, thank You for this meal,” Adam said. “Thank You for this day to get together and spend time as a family and give thanks for all You have given us. And thank You for new friends,” he added, squeezing my hand. “Bless this meal and the hands that prepared it. Amen.”

“Amen,” they echoed and they passed around the food.

At first, no one spoke as we ate. The turkey was delicious and the rest of the meal was just as good. Eventually, they started talking about sports and the weather. The two girls were eating politely until they started to get bored. When the pie was served, I was nervous until everyone took a bite and exploded into compliments.

“Thank you,” I blushed.

“Adam, can you come outside and play with us?” Molly asked.

“Sure,” he said happily and followed them out.

Under the table, Eric put his hand on my knee. I pushed it off and finished my meal. I excused myself to go outside but Eric stopped me.

“Can we talk?” he asked and I nodded nervously, following him out front. “I was wondering if you’d like to go out on a date soon.”

“I’m flattered,” I began, “but I must decline.”

“Is it because of Adam?” he frowned. “It’s not like the two of you are dating or anything.”

“It’s not like that,” I said.

He rolled his eyes. “Just because he’s famous doesn’t mean you have to sleep with him.”

“I’m not sleeping with him,” I snapped. “And he has absolutely nothing to do with this.”

“So go out with me.”

“No,” I said firmly. “Now, please, can we just go back to dinner?”

He scoffed. “Why? Adam’s not at the table.”

I glared at him. “I want another slice of pie, thank you very much.”

“I never thought you’d be this type,” he sneered.

“And what type is that?”

“The kind that is only interested in sex.”

“I told you it’s not like that!” I yelled.

“Why are you even here then?” he demanded.

I clenched my jaw and stormed back in the house. I snatched my coat from the stand. I pushed past Eric who had a look of regret on his face.

“Violet!” he called.

“Violet, where are you going?”

I turned. Joan had come out to throw the trash away. I pulled her into a hug.

“Thank you for having me,” I said, my voice shaking, “but I have to go.”

“Let me get Adam,” she said but I shook my head.

“Let him play with his cousins,” I said. “Thanks again. I hope I can see you again.”

“What do you mean?” she asked. “Aren’t you staying?”

“I’m going back to Oklahoma,” I sniffed, lifting my collar against the wind. “Good bye.”

I left before she could say anything else, Eric and my mother’s words ringing in my ears. The streets weren’t as busy as they were before; everyone was inside with their families. I couldn’t hold my tears in anymore and cried as I walked.

Is that really how people saw me? Did they really think all I wanted was sex? And the whole “mystery woman” on TV…. I heard my name being shouted behind me but I ignored it. I pulled my phone out and searched for flights back to Oklahoma. I was disappointed to see there were only two and they weren’t for another three days.

“I need to switch rooms,” I said to the woman behind the counter.

Adam came running in just as I was getting my new keycard.

“Where are you going?” he asked but I turned away, getting in the elevator. He stopped the doors before they could close. “Why are you crying?”

“It’s obvious Eric doesn’t want me here anymore,” I spat and the doors opened.

I went to the old room to get my duffle bag. Before I could leave, he closed the door.

“What did Eric say?” he asked, eyes narrowed.

“It doesn’t matter. I’m going back to Oklahoma.”

“But we don’t leave for another week….”

I shut my eyes, pushing my tears back. “Please Adam,” I sighed. “If everyone looks at me and says that I’m only here to have sex with you, then I want to leave.”

Adam’s jaw clenched. “Is that what he said?” he demanded.

“It doesn’t matter,” I repeated. “Go back to your family. I’m going to my new room. I’m going to book a flight for three days from now and get out of your life. I’ve made it complicated and I don’t want-”

He pushed me against the wall gently and kissed me. At first I resisted but I gave in to his soft touch. He wrapped his arms around me tightly and I rested my hands on his chest. He opened his mouth against mine and I eagerly accepted it. I ran a hand through his hair.

“You’re not a complication,” he whispered against my lips. “I don’t want you to leave. I want you to stay.”

“But Eric-”

“Is jealous,” he interrupted. “I’ll talk to him, okay? Did you already pay for your room?” I nodded. “I’ll stay there with you. Don’t fight me on it. Please come back. My mom is worried.”

I looked into his brown eyes. They were pleading and I realized I really didn’t want to leave. I wanted to stay with him and his mother. I nodded and he pulled me into a tight hug.

-

“Oh, thank goodness you're back!” Joan said, pulling me into a hug. “I was worried you’d leave before you got your present.”

“You didn’t have to get me anything,” I said, watching nervously as Adam gripped Eric’s arm and pulled him up the stairs, his face furious.

“You’re part of the family,” she argued. “She’s back!” she announced.

Everyone was gathered in the living room. The two girls were by the fireplace, Christmas wrapping paper at their feet, and playing with their new dolls. I sat on the floor beside them and Molly showed me her doll.

“Her name is Ivy,” she said and I shook the doll’s hand.

“Hello, Ivy,” I said. “My name is Violet.”

“She has a plant name just like you!”

I smiled just as Adam and Eric came back in. Eric didn’t look at me but Adam sat beside me. Joan passed around the gifts, one from her and one from Sofia, to the guys and Adam and I.

I opened mine with shaking hands. It had been years since I got a Christmas present. I never really went home anymore.

The first one, from Sofia, was a beautiful red and green necklace.

“Thank you,” I breathed and she beamed at me.

The gift from Joan brought a lump to my throat.

It was a pillow with the words, A Mother’s Love, stitched on it. I traced my finger across the letters and looked up. She was smiling at me and I returned it, not daring to speak. As everyone thanked Joan and Sofia, I slipped up to Adam’s old room and sat on his bed.

I stared at the pillow, tears splashing onto it. The door opened and Joan looked in.

“Are you all right, dear?” she asked and I pulled her into a tight hug, crying. “Oh, sweetheart,” she laughed, a few tears falling from her own eyes.

“Thank you,” I whispered.

She smiled and patted my cheek. “You are so very welcome.”