Take It All Away

Mommy Dearest

“Old. Doesn’t match. Doesn’t fit. Tacky.”

I groaned, tossing my clothes out of the closet. My mother would be arriving at the hotel in an hour and I was standing in just a towel. I knew she would judge what I was wearing the moment she saw me. I finally decided on a pair of black yoga pants and a David Bowie shirt. Someone knocked on my door as I was putting on my shoes and I froze.

“I know I’m a little early,” Adam said and I sighed in relief.

I opened the door and stepped out quickly to hide the mess. He handed me a coffee and I smiled gratefully. Before I could respond, my phone vibrated and I grimaced.

“They’re here,” I whispered and, to my surprise, he laughed.

“You make it sound like they’re some kind of gang.”

I sighed as we got in the elevator to go down. “Once you meet my mother, you’ll understand.”

We got out in the main lobby and, immediately, my mother launched herself into my arms. I almost dropped my coffee but Adam caught it for me.

“It’s so good to see you,” she said in a shrill voice and I cringed.

My father grinned at me. “Hi, flower,” he said, hugging me.

“Hey,” I returned just as John walked up.

He gave me a hug that was a little too long and I patted him awkwardly on the back. Adam cleared his throat and my mother grinned.

“Well hello there,” she said and I slid out of John’s grip and stood beside Adam. He handed me my coffee. “And what’s your name?”

“Adam,” he answered, holding out his hand.

“I’m Yvonne,” my mother said, shaking his hand. “And this is my husband, Oliver. This young man is Violet’s old boyfriend, John.”

“He was not my boyfriend,” I interjected and she glared at me.

“I was thinking we could go out to lunch,” my father stepped in.

“I know a nice little café not far from here,” Adam said.

We walked out of the hotel, Adam and I leading the way. Behind us, my mother started to complain.

“It’s so dangerous living all the way out here, Violet,” she called and I took a sip of the latte. “I mean, what if some random guy tries to assault you.”

I felt Adam stiffen and I knew he was thinking about the other night.

“I have friends who can help me,” I said in defense.

“You need a nice, strong man to take care of you,” she continued as if she hadn’t heard me.

We had reached the café and were sitting in a booth.

“It looks like she has a fine young man now,” my father said quietly and I smiled.

“What is it that you do, Adam?” my mother asked a little rudely.

“I’m a musician and a photographer,” he answered.

My mother arched a brow and I quickly interrupted.

“How was your trip?” I asked, shifting her attention to me.

“Long,” she sighed dramatically and I tried not to roll my eyes. “I don’t know why you had to move so far away. Ever since Nick, all you wanted to do was-”

“Yvonne,” my father snapped and her mouth shut.

I was surprised he spoke up. An awkward silence fell as the waitress brought us our soups and sandwiches.

“What do you do for a living, John?” Adam asked finally.

“I’m a lawyer,” he answered with a smile in my direction. “My father was, too. He taught me what it meant to be successful at home and in business.”

I closed my eyes wearily. I could hear my mother’s words in that sentence.

“Have you wanted to be a lawyer all your life?”

“Yes,” he nodded enthusiastically.

“Violet, can you show me to the bathroom?” my mother asked while John continued to talk about law.

There were two signs that clearly marked the way but I took the message and followed, placing my napkin on the table. I led the way, dreading the conversation – or lecture – I was about to have.

“You’re dating a musician?” she hissed once we got in the bathroom.

“Mom,” I began, glaring.

“You need someone who can provide for you, Violet!” she said and I clenched my fists.

“Why can’t you just drop it?” I demanded. “Why can’t you just be happy for me?”

“You know how musicians are,” she countered. “He’ll use you for sex then leave you behind to chase the next skirt.”

I took a step back, feeling like she slapped me in the face. I opened the bathroom door and glared at her.

“If you can’t be happy for me,” I said, my voice dripping with poison, “then you should have had another child.”

Without waiting for her response, I left the café, tears falling down my eyes, completely forgetting that I left Adam behind. I got to the next block when I heard running feet behind me.

“Hey!” Adam called and I stopped walking, hiding my face with my hair. “What happened back there? Your mom all but dragged your dad and John out of the café.”

“I just want to go home,” I whispered, still hiding my tears.

“All right,” he said slowly and walked in silence the rest of the way.

We got to my door and he grabbed my wrist.

“Look at me,” he whispered but I shook my head.

“Thanks for coming to brunch,” I said in a thick voice, pretending to rub my eyes to get rid of my tears. “I think I’m going to sleep and-”

“What happened, Violet?” he asked, turning me to face him.

I shut my eyes, willing my tears to stop. “My mother is a bitch,” I whispered, “that’s all.”

“What did she say?” I looked at the floor. “Was it something about me?” I could only nod. “Well, whatever she said, I’m sure she’s just looking out for you.”

“So telling me all you’re interested in me for is sex and that you’ll leave once you get it is looking out for me?” I asked deadpanned and he took a step back.

“She said that?” he asked incredulously. “Why would she-?”

“I’ll see you later, Adam,” I whispered and walked into my room, closing my door behind me.

I slid down it, putting my hand over my mouth to muffle my sobs.

My mother had been like this ever since my ex tried to rape me. I curled on the floor, squeezing my eyes shut, just as my phone rang.

“What?” I snapped.

“Can I come in?” my father asked.

“Why? I’m sure your oh-so-loving wife is waiting for you.”

He sighed. “Please let me in, flower.”

I hung up and unlocked my door.

“You could’ve just knocked,” I said, stepping aside so he could walk in.

I started picking up all the clothes.

“Adam told me what your mother said.”

I frowned, standing up straight with a pair of jeans in my hand. “When did you talk to Adam?”

“He came to find me at the café. I stayed behind to finish my meal. He’s a fine young man.”

I shoved my clothes back into the drawers and closets. “I never should’ve asked him to come.”

“What your mother said is ridiculous,” he said but I ignored him, putting a pair of sandals back on the closet floor. He took the shirt I was about to fold. “Look at me, Violet.” I sighed but obeyed, my bright blue eyes meeting his. “I know how you feel about men, okay? I don’t know what your relationship with Mr. Young is, but he does seem kind. I highly doubt he’d use you like that.”

“Why does she have to say those things?” I whispered, sitting heavily on the floor.

He sat beside me. “I don’t know, sweetie. I’m sorry I wasn’t there to stop her.”

“You’ve gotten more vocal,” I sniffed and he smiled sadly.

“I’m sorry that it took me so long, too,” he added and I put my head on his shoulder. “Would you like me to leave?”

“No,” I said. I wrapped an arm around his. “I’ve missed you.”

“I’ve missed you, too, flower,” he whispered.