Take It All Away

Spontaneous

“Was that Adam Young?” Jack asked, coming out after Adam and his friends left.

“Yep,” Gina said, smirking at me and I threw a rag at her. “He’s Violet’s boyfriend.”

“Shut up,” I muttered, my face a brilliant shade of red.

“I was thinking we could go out to eat tonight,” he said to the two of us. “I have exciting news for the both of you.”

“Just as long as we don’t to the club,” I said immediately and Gina gave me a squeeze.

We closed up at 8 and went to the same café I went to with my parents, Adam, and John. We sat in a booth to the back. There was a loud party near us and I was pretty sure I knew who they were.

“So what’s this exciting news?” I asked once we had ordered.

“I had to close another shop,” he began and I frowned.

“That’s not exciting!”

He shrugged, taking a sip of his water. I noticed how close he and Gina were and I tried not to laugh, knowing Gina was going crazy.

“We got too much competition,” he said. “It happens. Anyway, with that one closed, I decided I’m going to come back here.”

I let out a sigh of relief. “Thank goodness. We could really use your help at the shop. I mean, it’s great with the three of us but we’re getting busier now.”

“Did you tell him about Mark?” Gina asked and I nodded darkly.

“I plan on talking to him tomorrow,” Jack promised and I smiled. “That’s not appropriate business behavior.”

“I agree,” I nodded, rubbing my hands together as a burger was placed in front of me.

Jack shook his head with an amused smile. “I don’t know how you can eat all of that and still be as skinny as a twig.”

I popped a fry into my mouth. “Just lucky I guess.”

“Oh my God!” a woman’s voice screamed and we looked up. “It’s Adam Young!”

“Uh-oh,” Jack said, sounding a little amused as a group of girls ran towards Adam’s table.

He looked like a deer in headlights and I laughed, standing up.

“I’ll see you guys tomorrow,” I said. “I’m going to go save him.”

Gina shot me a pleading look but I left. Perhaps something would happen with the two of them. That would be good for Gina. I snuck around behind the back and put a hand on one of Adam’s friends who was holding back his laughter.

“You’ll have to get in line for an autograph,” he said but I shook my head, waiting for him to recognize me. “Oh! You’re the chick from the coffee shop!”

When Adam heard that, he spun around, his eyes wide. I winked and he turned back around.

“I’m here to save him,” I said and he chuckled, looking at the mass of girls.

“Good luck with that.”

“I need you to create a distraction,” I continued.

“What kind of distraction?”

I grabbed another one of Adam’s friends.

“Punch him,” I said and the two looked at me. “I’m serious.”

The first friend shrugged. “I’ve always wanted to deck you,” he said to the other one and threw a punch before he could react.

I jumped back as the two began to rough each other up on the table and the girls all screeched. Taking my chance, I grabbed Adam’s hand and pulled him through the kitchen. When we were safely in the back parking lot he let out a long sigh.

“Thanks,” he said. “How’d you get them to do that?”

I laughed as we walked. “I just told one guy to hit the other.”

Adam laughed. “Sounds appropriate for them.”

“So why are they here?” I asked.

He blushed and cleared his throat. “They wanted to see where I was staying,” he said eventually.

I felt like there was more to it but I didn’t press the subject.

“Are they staying at the hotel, too?”

He nodded. “They got some rooms down the hallway from us.” He blushed more. “I mean, you know, from my room, and we’re close together so…. Yeah.”

I giggled but decided to ignore it and jumped over a fence.

“Where are we going?” he asked.

“It’s a shortcut back to the hotel,” I answered.

“What about Gina and that other guy you were eating with?”

I smirked. “They could use some private time.”

“Ah. Playing matchmaker are we?”

I laughed. “Something like that.” We got back to the hotel to our floor. “When do you think your friends will be back?”

“Probably not for another hour,” he answered. “Come on. I want to show you something.”

I followed him to his room. It was identical to mine except he had more stuff. An electronic keyboard was set up by the desk and a few other instrument related things were scattered around. I didn’t know much about them so I made sure not to touch anything.

“What did you want to show me?” I asked and sat down on the bed by the desk.

He gestured at the keyboard. “I just got it the other day,” he said, sounding proud.

I smiled apologetically. “I don’t know much about this kind of stuff,” I admitted.

He sat down and grabbed my hand, pulling me on his lap.

“It’s easy enough to understand,” he explained and began to explain everything to me.

“You said it was easy,” I said when he was done, looking at the keyboard with wide eyes.

He laughed. “Here, play something.”

“Really? I don’t know how,” I reminded him.

He put his fingers on the keys. “Put your hands on top of mine,” he instructed and I did so, doing my best not to embarrass myself.

He began playing a few scales. I could feel his hands were tense as they supported mine. As he played more, though, they relaxed as did the rest of his body. He closed his eyes and I slowly slipped my hands off of his as he played. I recognized the song as ‘Fireflies’ and I watched his face. He was smiling a little, obviously in his element. Without the special sound effects that went with the song, it sounded different but I still liked it. He started humming and I felt my stomach stir.

I threw all my inhibitions out the window and kissed him. He stopped playing, obviously surprised, but quickly kissed me back, his hands on my lower back. I ran my hand through his hair. It was soft and I tried to turn on his lap. Before I could, though, we heard laughter outside of the hotel room and we broke apart. I got off and straightened my shirt while he flattened his hair. I sat on the chair and pretended to be reading a music book.

The door opened and the two friends I talked into fighting stumbled in, both laughing uproariously. One was bleeding and I hurried to the bathroom to get a wet cloth.

“Best night ever!” the one bleeding proclaimed, accepting the cloth and pressing it to his nose.

“That was an awesome idea,” the other said, clapping me on the back.

I glanced at my phone. It was one in the morning. If I was going to get any sleep, it had to be now.

“Well, good night,” I called and Adam walked me to my door.

“Sorry about them,” he said but I shook my head.

“They seem like fun guys.”

“They are,” he nodded and our eyes met for a moment. “Violet,” he began.

“Adam! I want to get drunk!” one of the guys yelled and he sighed shaking his head.

“I’ll talk to you tomorrow,” I smiled and unlocked my door.

“Good night,” he said, kissing me on the cheek.

“Good night, Adam,” I whispered back and he grinned before returning to his room.
♠ ♠ ♠
More to come tomorrow. Please let me know what you think.