The Storm.

Introductions.

Shot out of sleep as if part of a circus act, she rushed to the bathroom as fast as she awoke. Struggling with the tap to get cold water out of it and finally splashing over her face she felt as if it merely turned to steam. She gazed in the mirror, watching the water trickle down her face. The same dream, every. God. Damn. Night.

She ripped the towel from the wall rail and patted her face. Finishing her usual morning routine, she beamed over to her run down clock, 4:59. Already she could hear the honking of horns down the street. She supposed the city never really did sleep.

She gathered her jogging equipment and rushed to central park. She never minded being awake before sunrise, but the fact that the sun hadn’t shine yet at 7:45 she began to worry. The clouds above look more like smoke then what they were supposed to. She considered a storm today but these clouds were much more ominous than what they appeared.

She decided that home was a safer option and made her way out of the park when a crack of lightning had whipped the ground near the exit almost hitting her. The gates had collapsed under the raw destruction of the electricity. She began to panic and ran to another opening, again the same thing had happened. Now she knew these weren’t any kind of storm clouds.

She ran towards the shelter of the large trees to flee but the lightning had kept coming. Unable to move without the danger of being electrocuted, she fell to her knees with her hands over her head, she screamed and screamed as thunder and lightning kept cracking, defacing the earth around her.

Suddenly everything went quiet and the wind that accompanied the storm was no longer cold, or erratic. It began moving in a circle around her and become much warmer. When she opened her eyes, she was astounded to see she sat directly in the middle of a cluster of flames, twirling around her. As fierce as it seemed, she felt no immediate danger from it, despite the dreams she had, she felt almost serene in the flames as they danced about in a circular formation.

Suddenly, a large column of light had erupted from the storm and struck the earth, and a man with significant stature stood emerged from it. Confused in all that was happening, she broke into a run in the opposite direction that he had appeared. Without thinking, she broke through the wall of fire and ran between the trees.

Branches, leaves and twigs had struck her skin, splitting it as she flurried through them, but they seemed to start burning as she kept running through them, flaming before she reached them, before they had the chance to do her more harm. She slowed and wondered what was happening, also the fact that she was exhausted, she leaned onto an old cedar tree, but when just the moment she touched it, a loud sound had coursed through it and it began to fall.

She struggled out of the way and tried to run again, only stumbling over her own feet. Exhausted, scared and absolutely confused, she fell over and began crawling only to hear heavy footsteps not far behind her.

Despite her state of being, she still had her stubbornness not to give up her life so easily. She didn’t care who this creature was or what it wanted, and how it was doing all this but she turned over and shot up as fast as she could and threw her strongest right cross. “get. aWAY!” connecting with a furry face, she only had a split second to see the things face. She immediately noticed bright blue always, nearly the same colour as the lightning that struck the earth, a stern powerful face with a blonde beard and long locks to match it as well. And then it disappeared into the man’s hands.

She was so shocked with herself as well as what he was. He was simply gorgeous, but the matter still stood that he had tried to kill her. When he showed his face once more, there was only confusion left it in, as he held his nose tightly, blood trickling between his fingers. “What do You want!?” she screamed. He straightened up and held a hand out, “ a thousand apologies… I just thought—“ he began, but she was infuriated, just a moment ago, he was shooting large bolts of electricity at her and he just wants to say sorry now? But in that instant she recognised that it was Thor, the man who had worked with the Avengers a couple of years ago fending off the earth from insane aliens in this very city.

“what!? That I was some kind of monster?” she wasn’t very afraid anymore, not at the knowledge that she just punched a god in the face, and potentially broke his nose. He shrugged his shoulders and gave look that practically said ‘well, yeah’ as if it were obvious. She threw her hands up in the air and grabbed a hand full of her hair in both hands. She could easily say this was her worst day yet. “are you kidding me? I was just jogging! I pay bills! I pay rent! How could you possibly think—“she threw her hands towards him to exaggerate that she was innocent when a bolt of flames had shot out of them. Lucky for him, Mjolnir had returned in time to deflect it.

She jumped at her own ability, seeing how it was her first time, but she pieced the whole of this morning together. She ran through a wall of fire earlier and the leave sand branches caught fire before they grazed her skin, and why had she not been burnt? Thor twirled Mjolnir with a slight smile that looked unfitting with his leaking nose “I rest my case”.

She looked from her hands to him to her hands again. “Now you may not believe this… or after this incident you just might…” he began as he made his way closer to her. “but nonetheless, Danielle, you never knew your father did you?” her eyes wide and mouth just the same, she shook her head slowly, not knowing if it really mattered or not that she knew him or not. “that because, he is Surtur, the Ruler of Muspelheim. The fire realm”

Much was rushing through her head, and she didn’t want to deal with the half of it. But it did explain a lot, the house fire at her uncles, the fire just now, why her mother had a large burn across her face. She shook her head more vigorously now, shutting her eyes tight as if to blink away what was happening, “no… there’s no way. You’re crazy!”

By now, Thor had nearly towered over her, but she was quite tall herself, he placed a large hand over her shoulder and met her gaze “Danielle, you’re a demigod. And I do apologize for trying to destroy you at first, but my father told me you were a danger and to be eliminated on sight. But after your display I thought a better future for you.” She opened her eyes, she thought this has to be a dream, and she’ll wake up drenched in sweat, but when Thor grabbed her hands, she was brought back to a shocking reality.

She kept shaking her head, “I have bills, I pay rent….” Thor tried to comfort her but nothing really seemed to work. “I understand this seems a bit much to take in. However, if you would like answers, and believe me, I want some too, come with me, before the authorities of earth come.” To say she was unsure of it all was an understatement, but considering that the cops will come what could she possibly say. She grasped his hand lightly and at that he pulled her tight to his side and lifted Mjolnir to the heavens and the light had rushed over them.