Status: Active

Fireproof

009

The afternoon was turning out to be quite epic to say the least. These four guys were a trip all together and I had yet to quit laughing at them since we had gotten out to the house. Tommy took it upon himself to show the others the airplane hangar and that of course got them started on trying to get me to take them flying. I promised them I would get a plane out and take them after the food was ready so that the guys working tonight could come eat and then get back to the station.

“So you’re a military brat, huh?” Nikki asked after the guys had walked around the house looking at all of my dad’s things.

“Yep.” I smiled, flipping the hamburgers that were cooking on the grill.

“Tommy showed us the picture of your dad with us back in the 80’s. Pretty neat.”

“He was very proud of that picture. Part of me thinks that he had a hand in that day on the bridge.”

“Somebody was watching over us, that’s for sure. So, I can’t quite figure out how I feel about you.”

I raised my eyebrow and looked at him. “What do you mean?”

“I don’t know. I’m intrigued by you, I guess. You carried my heavy ass up a slanted bus and then swam through a river with me, you fly airplanes, you’re a military brat, you’re gorgeous. I guess in a way you’re a little bit intimidating and I don’t ever recall being intimidated by a woman who wasn’t on drugs or drinking.” He laughed.

Wow. I definitely hadn’t been expecting him to say anything like that to me. That crush feeling in the pit of my stomach returned. “Trust me, there is no need to be intimidated by me. I’m just me. I’m an adrenaline junkie I guess. But definitely nothing special here.”

“You would make some guy very happy that’s for sure.”

“I wouldn’t say that either. Apparently there is some issue with me because I was engaged a few months ago and then walked in on him cheating on me with my best friend.”

“That’s just wrong. Trust me, Parker, it’s not an issue with you. Some guys are just dicks like that.”

“Thanks, Nikki. I appreciate it. Well, the food is ready so I guess I better go get the plane out.”

“Yeah? I call first ride.”

“You sure you can hang?” I smirked.

“Trust me, babe, I may have another surgery or two to go but I can definitely hang.” He said shoving me playfully.

I spent the rest of the evening taking the guys up and flipping them and twisting them in the planes to see who I could get to break first. I wasn’t being too rough though, because stunt flying could get a little rough on your body if you went too hard. We definitely had a great time though and then joined the guys from the station to eat dinner.

The night ended fairly early as the guys returned to the station to hopefully have a quiet night and Nikki, Vince, Mick and Tommy returned to their hotel in town to get rested up for tomorrow. That left me and Criss and I had a long day ahead of me tomorrow so I wasn’t far from bed either.

“Do me a favor.” Criss said as we passed each other in the hallway going to our rooms for the night.

“What’s that?”

“You had a bad experience with Eric and I’m sure that has you on edge with relationships now, but should Nikki really feel the way about you that I think he does, don’t push him away if he tries to get close.”

“Criss, the guy is considerably older than me and you can’t possibly think that he has feelings for me.”

“Do you really care about age?”

“No, but still. He’s a famous rockstar and I’m just me. He would never ever want to be with me. Where are you getting all of these crazy ideas from? Do you guys talk or something?”

“No, we don’t talk but I’ve been watching both of you and it’s not quite obvious just yet, but there is something there with both of you. He seems like a great, caring guy and I just don’t want you to let Eric ruin something potentially good for you. That’s all. Night, Parker.”

“Good night, Criss.”

I went to bed thinking about what he had said and the possibility that Nikki had feelings for me. I still didn’t think it was possible, but whether it did turn out to be Nikki or some other guy, Criss was right that I couldn’t let one bad relationship keep me out of the game for good. One thing was for sure, only time would tell what life had in store for us. I fell asleep with a smile on my face though as thoughts of a certain someone played in my mind.