My Life Is a Cliché

Horse Riding

“I don’t think this is a good idea, Hatch,” I breathed as we went down a drive to the ranch.

“Oh, hush,” he said. “My mother is the best teacher there is.”

I groaned as he pulled me out of the car. I dug my heels in but he easily pulled me along.

“Don’t make me toss you over my shoulder,” he said and I grimaced.

“It’s so good to see you again, Morana!” Isabelle said, coming up to give me a hug. “And thank you so much for your donation.”

I smiled, too nervous to say anything. Three horses were saddled up.

“Three?” Thaddeus said. “Who is the third one for?”

“You,” Carl said and smiled at me. “Welcome back, Morana.”

“I’m not riding a horse,” Thaddeus said immediately and I shoved him.

“Come on,” Isabelle said happily. “Let’s get on these horses!”

I groaned again but followed Carl to the large beast. I whimpered a little.

“Don’t be afraid,” Carl assured me and I watched as Isabelle and Thaddeus mounted their horses with ease. “It’ll only make the horse nervous.”

“We wouldn’t want that,” I said sarcastically.

“Normally you mount from the left,” Carl explained, “but we’ll do it from the right this time. Put your right foot in the stirrup.”

“That’s really high up from the ground,” I said in an unnaturally high voice.

“Don’t worry. I’ll be here if you fall.” I gulped and did as he said. “Good! Now, swing your body so your leg goes over the horse’s back and put your foot in the other stirrup.”

I closed my eyes and gathered as much courage as I could. With a deep breath, I did as he told. I squealed as I went flying into the air, my eyes shut tight.

“I can’t find the stirrup,” I said.

“That’s because your eyes are closed, silly,” Isabelle laughed. “Carl, it looks like the stirrup is too far down.”

“Easily fixed,” Carl said cheerfully and I felt him pull on the saddle.

“Now, take the reins,” Isabelle said and pointed at a loop of leather that hooked to the horse’s face.

“Okay,” I said slowly.

Isabelle pulled her horse over and showed me how to hold my hands properly.

“We’re going to walk now,” she said. “Don’t be scared. There will be a bit of a jerk when the horse first starts off. Carl will lead your horse to the corral.”

I bit my lip so hard it was bleeding as Carl clicked his tongue to urge the horse forward. It was the strangest sensation. I rocked from the left to the right and bounced a little as the horse stepped over rocks and other things on the ground.

“Sit like a sack of potatoes,” Thaddeus said.

“Huh?”

“Your posture is perfect for a business woman,” he said and reached over. “Relax your shoulders.”

“I’m five feet in the air,” I said. “There’s no way my shoulders are going to relax.”

“Don’t worry,” he said firmly and I sighed, trying to relax. “There you go. Let’s start walking again.”

He kept his hands on my shoulders and immediately gripped them when they started to tense up.

“Relax,” he repeated until it came natural. “There you go.”

He moved so that there was space between our horses. For the remainder of the afternoon, they showed me how to turn the horse, stop, start, and even gallop.

“No,” I said firmly when I watched Thaddeus gallop around the corral. “Nope. Not doing it.”

Isabelle laughed. “Well, I think you’ve done enough for now.”

“Thanks,” I breathed as Carl led my horse back to the stables.

I dismounted and immediately fell on my butt. Thaddeus came to help me up, obviously trying not to laugh.

“Shut up, Hatch,” I mumbled, wiping the dirt off my butt. “My legs are killing me.”

“That’ll happen,” Carl said, leading us into the house.

He handed me my phone which he insisted I leave in the stables or it would spook the horse. I had a few texts from Katie asking where I was. I sent her a quick reply and put it back in my pocket. When we entered the house, I took a deep breath. I hadn’t realized how hot I was.

“Water?” he offered and I took it. “Thaddeus, why don’t you show her your room while your mom and I cook?”

“Oh you don’t have to feed me,” I said quickly.

“Nonsense,” Isabelle said. “Now go on.”

-Thaddeus’s POV-

I led her up the stairs. My legs were sore, too. It had been a long time since I had ridden a horse. Suddenly, she started giggling and I turned around.

“Is this you?” she laughed, pointing to one of our family pictures.

“Oh, Lord,” I groaned and pulled her away.

“You were so cute! I wonder what happened.”

I shoved her a little and she laughed.

“Well, here’s my room,” I said, “in all its grandeur.”

“Is it the same one you’ve had since you were a kid?”

“With a few changes,” I nodded.

She looked around and, while she did, I studied her. She had changed into a pair of blue jeans and a red short sleeved shirt. I could see the muscles in her arms and I was sure her calves were just as attractive. There was a circle of red dirt on her butt from where she fell but it only added to her attractiveness. When she turned to me, I snapped my eyes back up.

“Yeah, keep ogling Hatch,” she said and I blushed.

“I wasn’t ogling,” I said defensively and sat on my bed.

She wheeled my desk chair around.

“Your parents seem like awesome people,” she said and I knew what she was thinking.

“They are,” I nodded. “It’s just they have their moments.” I listened carefully. My parents were talking downstairs and I lowered my voice. “If I could just have a separate building on the property like a guest house that would make things easier. I feel like I’m still a kid.”

“I wish I could sympathize,” she said but I shrugged. “Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have what you do.”

“That goes the same for me.”

We sat quietly, each drinking from our water bottles. Eventually we got to the topic of the David Bowie posters on my wall.

“I am impressed,” she said. “I love David Bowie. I was going to play him at the party but I didn’t think people would appreciate it much.”

“I’m going to miss him,” I nodded and her face grew sad.

“As stupid as this is going to sound, through everything that happened to me, I always had David Bowie. I still will, of course, but it felt like a star went out when he died.”

I nodded and stood, stretching. “Gosh. I forgot how much riding can make you stiff if you haven’t done it in a while.”

“Did you ride a lot as a kid?”

“Yep.” I went over to my computer and pulled up my playlist. “It used to be my favorite thing to do.”

I double clicked on a song and she grinned. For the remainder of the time, we both lay on the floor as David Bowie’s voice drifted through the room. Her hand was inches from mine and, closing my eyes, I slowly moved it closer until our pinkies were touching. When she didn’t move away, I rested my hand on top of hers.

“Dinner time!” my mother called from downstairs and I sighed quietly.