My Life Is a Cliché

Hospital

They moved me to ICU the third day. By the fourth, I was bored out of my mind.

“I’m fine,” I groaned when the nurse came in to check on me.

She smiled. “Judging by these x-rays you’re not.”

I glared and huffed. Thaddeus came out of the bathroom with his razor and shaving cream. He hadn’t left once.

“They won’t let me leave,” I pouted and he smiled a little.

“Just be patient,” he said, sitting beside me.

“Easy for you to say,” I sighed. “You get to walk around.”

“You’ll be walking soon,” the nurse laughed.

She left and I sighed again. “I’m bored, Thaddeus.”

“Let’s watch some TV,” he suggested but I stared at him.

“You know there’s nothing good on.”

“There’s just no pleasing you today, is there?” he asked, laughing.

“I’d be pleased if they’d let me leave.”

“Not happening, love,” he said and handed me the chocolates my work had sent over.

That killed me the most. I had just gotten everything settled and now I was stuck in the hospital. I tried to get Thaddeus to smuggle my laptop in to work but he refused. I was on strict orders to not work, just rest. Beatrice and Gregory both sent some flowers and chocolates.

I handed one to Thaddeus.

“Katie’s going to kill me,” I said.

“You deserve burgers,” he said. Then he sighed, taking my hand and I knew what was coming. “Morana, I’m so sorry.”

“It’s not your fault,” I said for what felt like the hundredth time. “Did they ever find out if the horse is okay?”

He nodded. “There weren’t any broken or sprained bones.”

“Why did he just stop?”

“There was a snake on the ground. Dad found it after we already got you on Mom’s horse.”

“I’m sorry,” I said and he frowned.

“Why are you sorry?”

“I knew I wasn’t ready for galloping. It felt nice while it lasted, though,” I said and he smiled kissing my cheek. “So, you told the surgeon you’re my boyfriend, huh?” I added with a sly smile.

He blushed. “I hope it’s true.”

I smiled sincerely. “I’d say it is.”

He grinned and my eyes started to droop.

“Medicine is making me sleep,” I murmured, my words already starting to slur.

“Get some sleep, love,” he said and I closed my eyes.

-Thaddeus’s POV-

She fell asleep and I took the comb and brushed her hair. They had removed the bandages but her head was still sensitive. I brushed her hair gently and she smiled in her sleep. Katie came in shortly after.

“I just when by her office,” she said, sitting on the other side. “Everything is going great. She’ll be glad when she gets back to work.”

“Good,” I said, starting to dab at the scabs that had opened.

“You really care about her, don’t you?”

“It’s my fault,” I murmured, blushing.

Katie shook her head but didn’t respond with what everyone was saying to me.

“When will she be released?”

“Four days,” I answered. “She’s more than ready to leave.”

“I don’t doubt it. Morana has never been one to sit and rest. It kills her. I heard she tried to get you to get her laptop in here.” I nodded, smiling, and she laughed. “Figures.”

Someone knocked on the door and we turned around. My parents were there, both looking extremely unhappy.

“I’ll be right back. Stay with her please.”

“Of course,” Katie promised.

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

“Your friends are here,” my father said darkly, “and I’m about to punch them out.”

“Carl,” my mother admonished.

“Why?”

“They’re in the waiting room making bets about Morana,” my mother said. “Thaddeus, wait!”

I didn’t stop to hear. I stormed into the waiting room.

“Hey man!” Frank said. “We heard about your old lady. Did she break her neck? They say it’s from a horse accident but we know better.”

“Get. Out,” I said through clenched teeth and they stared.

“Dude, what’s your problem? You don’t have to lie. We all know you were banging her.”

“That’s how I’d want to go,” Frank snickered.

“Get out!” I yelled but they started laughing.

All my pent up anger was let loose and I launched at Frank. My father held me back as my two friends stumbled back. I wanted to wring their necks.

“Just leave,” my mother said firmly.

“Bunch of wet blankets,” Frank snorted and they left.

“Calm down, son,” my father said in my ear but I was still breathing like a bull. “Calm down. This isn’t doing any good. They’ll kick us out if you keep this up.”

That got me under control. I didn’t want to leave Morana here by herself.

“Let’s go back to her room,” my mother said gently.

I needed something to do with my hands so I wrung my shirt. Katie was looking worried.

“I heard shouting,” she said, looking between the three of us. “Is everything okay?”

“It is now,” I sighed, resuming my seat next to Morana. “Just some foolish boys who can’t grow up.”

A few hours later, Morana woke up for dinner.

“I’m having a burger,” she told Katie and, for once, Katie didn’t object.

“Where from?” my mother asked.

She yawned. “Sonic is fine. But plain and a Sprite.”

“You’ve got it,” my mother smiled and she left with her keys.

“You look mad,” she said and I nodded at Katie who left.

-Morana’s POV-

“What did I do?” I asked in an attempt to make him laugh.

“It’s not what you did,” he sighed. “Remember our deal about Katie and my friends?” I nodded. “Well, you’ve kept up your end of the deal. My friends came by.”

“That was nice of them,” I said but he shook his head.

“They were making bets,” he said through clenched teeth.

I frowned. “Bets on what?” He tried to answer and I sighed. “I see.”

“I chased them off,” he muttered. “I was going to hit them but Dad stopped me.”

“I’m glad he stopped you,” I said. “I don’t want you getting thrown out on my account.”

He smiled and rubbed the back of my hand. He kissed my cheek again and I smiled at him.